1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Scholarship percentage negotiation

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ecupirate34, Feb 1, 2010.

1. ecupirate34

ecupirate34 Junior Member

As a newbie to the scholarship offering and negotiation process, I thought I would solicit some help and ask for some personal experiences. I know the discussion of who got what is taboo and that is not my intention here either.

I am curious that when a school makes an offer to a prospective student athlete, how much wiggle room and haggling are they expecting? Does the lattitude vary from school to school? I know some of this will be based on the situation, the player, the school, current roster, etc..., but am hoping for some feedback. When do you know the school is truly maxed out and that is it?

Bottom line, what is the best approach for a parent?

Thanks and I really enjoy reading the forum daily. There is a lot of great info on here and for those of us that breathe and bleed baseball, it is awesome.

2. Bonsway

Bonsway Full Access Member

I didn't even consider that "negotiating" was even an option. I thought it was frowned upon. Guess it's too late now!!!

3. HomeRunHomer

HomeRunHomer Full Access Member

Well, I think you will get many different thoughts here, but heres mine,
    there are only 11.7 schollys for 28, so you can do the math. We know that some pitchers, power hitters and out-of-state kids may get a higher percentage, so my thoughts....If a school offers you a percentage and that school offers something that you are interested in making a career of (besides baseball)...then you should feel very special!! There are a ton of kids with talent that you see day in and day out and on weekends that would go for nothing if offered. Not saying there is not a point or 2 to wiggle, but why? if that is a dream. Second, dont cruise through school and not work in the classroom like you do on the field, remember you can get academic monies on top of any baseball money from the same institution! So make sure your classroom stats are just as much priority as your batting stats....beginning in Grade 9. This is important.
    Good Luck and remember don't go into it thinking you are going to get a free ride....it aint going to happen.
    It was an easy decision for us when offered.
    High School Baseball starts this month.......:N1yeeaah:

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Well, it's not like buying a house, but from speaking with many coaches I have found it's refreshing for them when a family tells them the truth. There are circumstances that are important for them to know that would encourage them to go to the financial aid office or go back to their budget and see if they can go to battle for you.

A bonafide better offer from another school with the commitment that your son really wants to commit to them: A single parent, other children in college and an unusual event can all give reason to re-think their offer.

As far as wiggle room, the best area for increased relief from tuition is on the academic side. That's where you can find the rainbow...and the support from administration towards the baseball program is very important in this area. Some coaches won't waste their time going to them for help knowing they won't receive any. Other coaches are blessed to have their support and seek their help in identifying discretionary funding.

But the bottom line is the pitchers get the best offers, followed by the catchers then "everybody else"--this does not include the blue chippers.

5. Bonsway

WHAT in theeee Hizzayyyy is THAT supposed to mean??? Hmmmm?????

:willy_nilly: <---- that's my negotiating prowess...{snicker}

6. Bonsway

LOL

and here I thought that was a secret!:N1Lol16:

7. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

In our case, they made an offer, I asked for a little more, they said yes, now my son has $500 less per year to get with student loans. It wasn't a deal breaker for either side and he would have signed for the original offer.
    Approach it tactfully and you might just get a little bit more and when the difference is coming out of your wallet, or his future earnings, that little bit can be nice.

8. MastrMindenit

MastrMindenit Junior Member

That scholarship % that the institution offers a student athlete is their investment in you. It shows how much the baseball program is committed to your son. If a school wants to give your son a certain percentage that you the parents and the student think is acceptable, whatever that percentage may be, it means your son may have more chances to fail, to fill out as a freshman, more opportunities to learn the college game that a roster spot guy wouldn't have.

I agree with Braves, academic money, if it can be added to the baseball scholarship money, can help to get that figure down. Also very true point on being honest with the coach about finances. If a coach needs a 3B and he needs one next year and you are his guy, then he will do what he is able to do for you.

Baseball scholarship money is different at different levels. NCAA D1 mostly deal with 11.7 scholarships total, depending on their conference, some with slightly lower. They break them down in %'s.

A Jr. College or Community college may have just a certain figure in dollars that they get per year. That school may offer your son a dollar amount, Ex: $4,000 dollars for fall and spring. They would get $2,000 dollars per semester on the financial aid package the school sends out including grants, work study, academic money, loans if you qualify.

A community college may offer a tuition waver. You get tuition and fees paid for. You have to buy your books, and if financial aid money is added that may pay for the books.

Hope some of this helps

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Good job Mastermind!!!! This is the kind of information that helps many people.

10. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

A couple of thoughts:

(1) At Division I universities (only), there can be a "catch" to the academic money issue. In order that a baseball player's money not be counted as athletic funds, the university must be able to show that the academic funds that the player received would have been available to any non-student athlete with equal credentials.

This works to the distinct disadvantage of players at universities where the average entrance exam score is high. Since many of the baseball players bring academic credentials that are below that of the average student's, academic scholarship funds are often unavailable to players. Rule of thumb: the better the overall university's academic standing, the lower the probability that players will receive supplementary academic funds.

(2) While the percentage of athletic scholarship available to players as entering freshmen tends to receive much of the attention, it shouldn't be forgotten that NCAA athletic scholarships are committed for only one year at a time. As you discuss the scholarship situation with coaches, try to get a feel for their track record of rewarding high performing players once they're there. Often, coaches will work to free up additional funds to productive returning players as a reward for their contribution to the team.

This was certainly true in my son's case. He attended the university that gave him the smallest offer of any he had at the time; but, at that time, the coaches brought up the fact that they were good about rewarding returning players who had shown that they were consistent contributors. They cited a number of prior instances and encouraged us to speak with those players and their parents to confirm their experience. To say that they were true to their word is an understatement; not only with my son, but with quite a few others, as well.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010