1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Scholarships.

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by pirates05, Dec 15, 2008.

1. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

....in the words of Jimmy V. "never give up"! 4.0 isn't chump change pal! Happy Hollidays, Fishman.

2. cbsconsult

cbsconsult Full Access Member

Scholarship Percentages

We do not do early commitments so I cannot provide an answer about the percentages. I am sure different schools do different things. I am not sure if the 10th grade early commitments can be guaranteed anything other than "if you continue to improve, we certainly would love for you to be a part of our program." The NLI cannot be signed until the Fall of the senior year. As far as I know, the NLI is the only binding agreement between the parties.

I am usually not aware of the student's academic performance until AFTER I see him play. Certain showcases do a great job of providing academic information on the player profiles. The results of the evaluation of the transcript dictates whether we continue the recruiting process. For us, the next step after the transcript evaluation is a character evaluation. We talk to people.

On the GPA issue, I am thinking the GPA you quote is based on a 4.0 scale. If so, then the weighted GPA (based on the curriculum, of course) is important. Keep in mind the admissions criteria of the school your student athlete wishes to earn his/her degree. Of utmost importance to me is if baseball is taken away, would the student still want to be there? Certainly the player with the stronger academic resume has the most options when it comes to schools from which to choose.

Obviously, different schools provide scholarship money in different ways. We always start with ACADEMIC performance and the $$$ that is available through those means.

3. HomeRunHomer

HomeRunHomer Full Access Member

Thanks for the info, things will fall in to place, we'll be patient!

4. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

I know of one underclassman, an '10, was told 25%. Seeing as that is the minimum D-I scholly now, I would expect that would be the norm. He was told that if he developed there was a possibility of the percentage increasing. For a position player, 25% is probably going to be the type of offer they will see.

Blame it on left-handed pitchers!

5. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Don't be discouraged. You happened to be at the single NC school that would have told you that. Coach Cooke told me personally that he is cut zero slack in the admission process. My son is at Davidson now and was valedictorian of his HS and still had to wait for admissions to approve him before the coaches could make a offer. Davidson is not a good example of what you can expect from other schools.