1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Scott Cousins hit on Posey: Clean or Dirty?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by LarryD, May 26, 2011.

1. Capsbaseballlhp

Capsbaseballlhp Full Access Member

That is the problem in the first place. Catchers often like to take shots at players slide or not, as a current college player almost every catcher you will play with or against has taken a dirty hit, and in most cases the player hitting them was ejected from the game. That is the rule in college plain and simple. So the fact that catchers are out there "two hand punching" a runner they assume is not going to slide is starting its own issue. Once a catcher experiences a collision like that they start to worry about it more and that can lead them to excessively hard tags. Catchers have to have a different attitude about them to play that position and hard tags are part of it. But training catchers to look to punish someone coming in for a collision in leagues that dont allow them is not part of it. If you are planning on drilling someone with a tag in the face that decision has to be made before the last second and if the runner slides late then it is to late to change your mind. I am all for catchers getting themselves into the right position to protect themselves but at the college level and below that is not the way.

2. mmac

mmac Junior Member

Does anyone recall when Nate Schierholtz took out the Chinese catcher in USA baseball? It almost caused an international incident but the consensus on this side of the pond was that it was a clean, hard-nosed play. I'm a huge Giants fan but I didn't even think to be mad at Cousins. Maybe I should go back and look again....

3. mmac

mmac Junior Member

OK. I looked again. Launching at the head was over the top. I doubt he could see that Posey didn't have the ball, though.

4. pirates05

pirates05 baseball-lifer

This is a great subject and i would be curious to see how many of the older posters ( High school graduates 1970- 1980) would agree with the play or disagree. I was taught that if the catcher is blocking the plate you get in any way you can and if he is not you slide. I have seen many catchers who is blocking the plate and basepath and do not have the ball. To me this cause more problems than a catcher with the ball waiting to apply the tag. The Posey play was a clean play by the rules and i hate that he got injured because he is going to be a very good ball player. At each level that a player plays, the chance of hard contact and more agressiveness grows. I hope that Posey recoves quickly and becomes the player that we all think he will be. As far as Cousins, i will bet that he doesn't feel bad about the play because he was playing the game hard, but he does feel awful about Posey getting injured because 99% of players doesn't want another player getting injured because that is how all of them make a living and takes care of thyeir families.

5. mmac

mmac Junior Member

I thought Posey was a pretty good player now. Just my opinion though.

6. ALL9

ALL9 Member

Clean play, as a catcher I know it comes with the territory. Even in HS and College you will get a hard slide and even have some hard cleats on the thigh. I do not see any reason to go back and re-vist the rule for this type of play. Just like they should not re-visit the play in the NFL. You know the hazards of the sport and position you play. I know it is illegal in other levels of the sport, that is because at those levels kids are playing the game. More players get hurt each year on a hustle play in the gap, sliding into a bag, running into a wall, not properly stretching, and other variables.

7. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

was posey blocking the plate?

8. karlrocket

karlrocket Full Access Member

I agree. I've watched this play several times now & Posey was in front of the plate getting ready to catch the ball & try to turn & make the tag on the line. Cousins had a direct route to the plate but chose to veer towards the 1 foot area in front of the plate to collide w/ Posey's upper body & knock the ball loose. Looks dirty to me.

9. cbsconsult

cbsconsult Full Access Member

Cousins v Posey

I like the college rule....you cannot block the plate unless you are in POSSESSION of the ball. I also prefer the mandatory slide rule - either slide or give yourself up for the out.

At the professional level, these guys are making millions. Cleaning up the game is simple - automatic ejection, fine, and suspension for the duration of the injured players absence.

Harsh? You betcha!

10. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

quote about the hit on posey from FSU baseball coach mike martin before today's acc tournament game vs. clemson: “It’s just devastating to all of us. I just saw one of the executives of the Giants who showed me the picture. There’s no excuse for a guy to get hit when he’s not in the batter’s box. It’s uncalled for. If he’s blocking the plate it’s a different story.”