1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Senior Legion Scores week of May 25-May 31...

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by tj21, May 25, 2008.

1. swalston91unc

swalston91unc Full Access Member

Wilson Post 13 defeated Kerr Lake 14-0 on Thursday to improve to 4-0 (all non-conference).

2. blademan

blademan Full Access Member

Union County 12 Kings Mtn 6

Watkins started on the hill and overcame a shaky start to hold KM down until the UC bats came alive. Nash finished strong and got the W I think. Big hits bt Santiago, Brigman, Hardison, and probably others I'm missing.

UC 3-0 @ home Monday vs. Charlotte, Wed. vs. Huntersville, and away Friday vs. Newell.

3. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

Caldwell 3
    Shelby 2

13 innings

4. PAyscue

PAyscue just a fan

Garner 2 Cary 1

Furl, Adams lead Post 232 past Cary
    Landon Adams goes 2-4 with an RBI double and Zach Furl picks up his second win as Garner Post 232 tops Cary 2-1. Furl goes 5 innings with 7 strikeouts and John Atkins pitches 3 inning of relief for the save. Adams 2-out double drives in Kyle Canfield with the go ahead run in the fifth after Cary had tied the game in their half of the inning. Cary threatens in the sixth but a terrific catch by second baseman Trey Williams kills the threat. Garner Legion is 2-2 on the year and Cary falls to 2-3. The two teams play tomorrow night at Green Hope HS and return to Trojan Park Sunday for the conclusion of the 3-game set

WP-Zach Furl (2-0) LP-Brown, SV-John Atkins

Leading hitter: Landon Adams 2-4, 2B RBI, 2SB

5. tools

tools Full Access Member

Western Forsyth vs. Surry

WF 9
    Surry 3

WP-Chad Jarvis 7 innings
    Jason Funkhouser 2 innings

6. anotherspartanfan

anotherspartanfan Full Access Member

From Lenoir News-Topic

WOW What a great game!!!

29ers win battle of attrition

Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:24 AM EDT

Reynolds, Poarch deliver clutch hits in Caldwell's 13-inning victory

By Justin Parker, Sports editor

Trent Reynolds extended Friday night's game and, multiple times, gave the Caldwell 29ers a chance to win against Shelby Post 82.

Then Cody Poarch came in and delivered two hits -more than he had all year at South Caldwell - while pitching the 29ers to a 3-2, 13-inning win at Deal Stadium.

“There were some real heroics by individuals on this team,” Caldwell coach Gary Hamby said after what he called a tremendously well-played game by both teams.

It was a game that wasn't going in Caldwell's favor until the ninth inning, when the 29ers, down 2-0 since the fourth inning, began getting to Shelby starter Adam Izokovic.

Reynolds tied the game with a two-RBI single with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. Then with two outs in the bottom of the 13th, Poarch drove in pinch runner Rob Purus from second with a hit to right to end it. It was quite a feat for the pitcher who no-hit Hibriten this spring and didn't make a plate appearance all year as a Spartan.

“I just take hitting so seriously,” Poarch said. “I don't joke around so when I do get a chance, I want to make the best of it.”

The game was on the verge of ending three times. In the ninth, Shane Clawson and Matt Edwards (running for Brad Craig) were on second and third when Reynolds punched a single to left. Clawson scored easily, and Edwards slid in just as the ball arrived at home.

It was a familiar situation for Reynolds, who in back-to-back games in the CVAC tournament this spring, drove in key runs.

“I got an outside pitch and knocked it through the hole,” Reynolds said.

The second near-ending came moments later when Reynolds tried to score from second on a Dylan Crump single. He was tagged out at the plate.

Ironically, it was Reynolds, the Caldwell catcher for the entire game, who was involved in the third possible game-winning situation at the plate.

He tripled to lead off the 12th, but was stuck at third as Crump and Gordy Hendrix were retired. When Shelby reliever Eric Shuford threw a wild pitch over the head of right-handed hitter Joel Woods, Reynolds broke for home.

“I was just trying to read it and make sure it didn't bounce off the backstop,” Reynolds said.

The throw from Shelby catcher Kyle Kendrick to Shuford beat Reynolds. The tag, well, the 29ers didn't think so. But Reynolds was called out.

“I thought I was in,” he said.

The call created a firestorm of activity at the plate. The Caldwell players burst from the dugout to celebrate what they thought was the end. Then Shelby (2-4), led by Kendrick, began celebrating after the call.

Players were swarming everywhere as Hamby emerged to argue.

“Of course, you've got to argue a call like that,” Hamby said. “I think he was clearly safe. He slid in under the tag. He was tagged on the head and he got under it.”

The 29ers (3-0) had to wait another inning to get the win. Joel Woods led off the 13th with a single and moved to second on a perfect pop bunt to first by Lucas Jackson. He was replaced there by Purus, the former South Caldwell football standout. Josh Severt walked and Clawson hit a high lineout to short to set up Poarch, who had singled in the 11th. He delivered.

Poarch pitched four scoreless innings to get the win, his second in as many appearances. He struck out seven. His double duty performance had Hamby remembering former standout Marc Church, who used to do the same.

Severt started for Caldwell and pitched 5 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on RBI-singles by Shelby No. 9 hitter Corey Cline in the second and fourth.

Bryan Tuttle and Jake Benfield threw 2 1/3 and one innings, respectively for Caldwell in relief.

Izokovic pitched a solid 10 innings, scattering eight hits and striking out six, before being relieved by fellow Burns High product Shuford.

Caldwell returns to action at Hickory Sunday and will host Pineville Monday.

7. legionguy17

legionguy17 Full Access Member

Area III South Scores 5/30

South Rowan 4
    Wilkes 1

Stanly 12
    Rowan 11

Mocksville 8
    Kannapolis 5

Mooresville 6
    Statesville 0

Anybody have the Lexington/Concord score?

8. Eagles 1313

Eagles 1313 Full Access Member

Kernersville 10
    Winston Salem 2

WP: Ryan Dull (2-0) 8IP 5H 2R 2ER 1BB 9K

Kernersville plays at Person County tonight at 7pm

Post 36 5-4 (3-2)

9. tools

tools Full Access Member

Western Forsyth Post 522 vs. High Point

Western Forsyth 10
    High Point 9

WP- Alex Robertson

HR-WF Cedrick Coleman, Jeff Gonza

10. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

Taylorsville beat Hickory Saturday night 14-7. Taylorsville pounded out 18 hits in the rout. Taylor Miller drove in 4 runs. Daniel Hall had a HR and Weston Sherrill had 3 RBI. Taylorsville now 3-3 and will host Hendersonville Sunday night.