1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Senior State Games - West team

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by cougardad, May 10, 2004.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Chris Taylor, a wonderful player, has signed with UNCC, so unsigned apparently is not a criteria.

I pointed out last year the situation involving the non selection of Rob Wilson. What a travesty and one I still haven't gotten over. Not to take away from anybody that was selected. I'm sure they are deserving, but there are some very, very good players apparently not selected.

Is there a reason there is only 2 teams in the senior division?

2. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

This is exactly why our kids are not encouraged to try out for senior state games. We have had all-state players show up in the past and were essentially ignored. The junior games generally give the kids a fairer look. There may be a few kids selected at the tryouts, but no one will convince me that those teams aren't essentially pre-set. It needs to be increased to 4 teams to really give kids a chance to show what they have. Especially if they haven't been signed.

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

:xyzthumbs ...Hear ye...Hear ye

BTW, Mudcat, have you heard anything about the ASU coaching selection?

4. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

Nope, but got my ears to the ground though. I hope they get someone that "really" wants the job. It's such a beautiful campus and the students deserve more out of their athletic programs.

5. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

I find.....

it hard to believe players were essentially ignored! Unless there has been a change in the criteria for those going or being selected ALLLL seniors (3) from each team in the state can be nominated by their repsective head coach! ANY coach who does not give three deserving seniors an OPPORTUNITY to be showcased whether in tryouts OR in the game themselves need not be coaching, period! I hear this is the case in some schools, too bad! I have yet to know and work for a coach who purposely "ignored" any player who took the time and effort to show up at tryouts spend three to four to five hours for limited EXPOSURE to be treated like this! I spent FIVE years in the state games as a coach and with alll I have worked with we did a quality fair and unbiased tryout to the BEST of our ability, period! It may be in the last few years fewer and fewer SIGNED players feel the need to play which of course I understand not a problem yet the team is representing the STATE not just themselves... Again IF and I say IF there are any politics involved too bad! I have cut all state players just because they didn t have a "great" tryout that was more impressive than another deserving doesn t mean they CAN'T play come on be serious! It is a tough job and just as the profession is "thankless" for the most part, too sad bad! :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

6. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

Well "O" they were ignored, period. And if you were one of the coaches for the past 3 years then you were one of them doing the ignoring. I had 2 all state players parents tell me that their kids were not given a fair shake. They were essentially ignored while others trying out for the same positions were taken to another area to be worked with. Just a fact. So if you were one involved, shame on you. Of course they were allowed their 5 swings etc, but decisions had already been made.

7. mamaslam

mamaslam Full Access Member

Well, I was going to bow out and let this die but WOW! Mudcat, you couldn't have expressed my feelings any better. My son said he was completely ignored and not given a fair shake, not even looked at, yet we heard many comments as to how great he performed. He DID have a good tryout, both years. Funny too how he went to another position because of being ignored in his "true" position and coaches were asking who that was and commenting how good he was. He still didn't make it. Hmmmm......good kid, team leader, captain, mvp....their loss. We have certainly moved way on. It is a travesty though for those that are just going thru it.

8. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

Two things:

1) Having the best POP times in ANY tryout does NOT automaticly make a player the best catcher. In fact, it may be the least thing that a catcher has to do in a game. There are other aspects of catching that I would deem much more important than POP times.
    2) Taylor is reconized by Impact Baseball as one of the top 3 catchers in the western half of the state. Maybe his accomplishments preseded him. Maybe the fact that he played on the Region 6 Championship team last year or the fact that he was signed early by UNCC had some bearing on his selection. I know if I were the coach it would definately get my attention. I doubt POLITICS had anything to do with it.

9. mamaslam

mamaslam Full Access Member

Agreed....does not dispute the fact that more qualified players were ignored whatever you measure their criteria on. Blocking, handling pitchers, calling pitches, being a vocal leader, in addition to having a strong arm and a quick release.
    Don't get too carried away with being recognized by Impact Baseball. Impact has missed more than its' share of great players. Andy just complains that he can't see everyone....I guess he picks and chooses who he can see. That's fair? Top 3 catchers? VERY debatable. I know 3 that can beat him day in and day out and they are on the same team. Just think how many more are out there across the western part of the state, across the state? Politics, or whatever you want to call it, did play a part.

10. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

sorry....

IF that was the case! My duties were from 96-00.. Just for the record..I have been out of it for the past three going on four years! :thinking: :huh: