1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Should kids play Pop Warner Football?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Cleotis Junebug, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

Yes, the game is modified quite a bit at that level, but I don't think it's bad at all. It's a hell of a lot healthier than having your kid sitting around playing Grand Theft Auto and drinking Vault all day. As far as learning good practice habits, I think it can only help them as they enter middle and high school. Looking back on it, I wish I had played as early as possible.

2. footballfever181

footballfever181 Full Access Member

In Watauga County there's a league for5th and 6th grade where players learn the basics of football, how to block, how to kick, how to tackle etc. Then there is a leauge for kids in 7th and 8th grade, they run simple versions of the plays from the High School. Coach Snow has done a wonderful job at the high school working with the middle school league coaches and administration and look what has happened at Watauga. Its an example of what can happen when it's done right!

3. The Warden

The Warden Full Access Member

That would be something I'd love to see in McDowell County, is the 7th/8th league to where its a prep league for high school football. Just nix the hotdogs/pups and branch out to the junior high kids. But the only problem I see this happening stems from the junior high's themselves unless something can be arranged and this league participates in the spring. I dont think something like this could go on in the fall with the MCYFL and East & West McDowell football playing simultaneously.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  4. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

I may be wrong but I think the reason why Watauga does it the way they do is because their school structure is different...someone told me they don't have middle schools/jr high's in Watauga County, primary schools up there are K-8th grade. If I'm wrong then somebody from Watauga can clarify.

5. The Warden

The Warden Full Access Member

That is right, Watauga schools are a combined elementary/middle school (K-8). They've also organized a team of middle school players playing other middle schools. Dan, correct me if Im wrong, they were successful against West McDowell & East McDowell.

6. footballfever181

footballfever181 Full Access Member

Yes we have 8 K-8 schools in Watauga, but for football they split into 4 schools playing as "West Watauga" and 4 schools playing as "East Watauga" and practice and play together as 2 middle school squads. It's a strange setup but whatever works...

7. bigdan

I don't think neither of the jr highs in McDowell County played anybody from Watauga County.

8. Otis

Otis Full Access Member

Both Junior Highs play Watauga in their off week from their conference schedule. It gets both teams another game for the year.

9. wike25

wike25 burning db's

In Davidson County we have a flag football program for 3rd/4th grader, then in the 5th/6th they begin tackle. You represent the elementary school you go to elementary here is k-5th. Even though your in middle school for your 6th grade year if your not too old you go back to the elementary and play. Then in 7th/8th we have a middle school football team, that you have to try out for. Now for my point, I played 5th/6th for elementary and liked it, but at North Davidson middle you have 4 elementary schools going to one middle, so they have cuts for 7th/8th grade. I didn't make the cut my 7th grade year, so I went and played PW for K-ville. I think that the over all program is better in the PW league then our County league. I also have a lot of friends who decided to stop playing football because of getting cut, so therefore now I am going to be a Senior this year and our overall numbers are down for players, and yes I blame kids getting cut for this, because they loss a overall passion for the game. I think pop warner is wonderful and you should never wish for another league like ours here in DC.

10. bigdan

Cutting kids at the elementary school level is the very worst thing a league can do...as you stated those kids who got cut in 3rd or 4th grade won't even try out for middle schools because of that same reason.