1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Should players that do not intend to continue in the next level, get priority over th

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by softball4ever1987, Mar 21, 2007.

1. softball4ever1987

softball4ever1987 Proud Mama

Had a conversation with some other parents recently concerning, whether a player who does not intend to play at the next level, should take priority over a player who does intend to play, at the next level?
    I would like to know the response for HS and TB!
    We had both sides represented in the conversation. I would like to get an idea of what the majority thinks!
    Now I am not asking for this thread to turn into a pointing fingers, or name calling or specifics, just curious! :ears::feedback: :bigear:
    Peace, Love and Happiness

2. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

this ought to be an interesting topic

i coach hs, and i personally dont care if a girl plans on playing at college (i'd encourage it) and i dont care if a girl doesnt plan on playing at college. i just want to try to play the best i have on the field.

3. nctiger

nctiger Full Access Member

Are you speaking of "T" ball, rec. ball, middle school ball, I know you are not speaking of High School ball, that would be like the team manager saying, well I am going to play College ball, as soon as I learn to catch , throw and hit.
    Point being anyone one can say they want to play college ball, only players with abilitly will play college ball, and the High School coaches know the players on his team that might be able to play at the next level, whether they say so or not.....

4. softball4ever1987

nctiger, What?

Just because a player has the talent to play at the next level, does not mean she will play at the next level! There are also a lot of players who could & would love to play at the next level, but can't due to academics, financial or whatever! It is not a given, I could give lots of examples, but won't! And by the way, watched any college games recently, there are actually players, who are not super stars in the sport, playing fastpitch in college! You know you don't have to play just at a D1 college to be going to college! There are D2, D3, NAIA, etc....colleges out there as well! They actually have some extremely talented players, playing for them!
    There are SOME, not all, HS coaches that do not have enough knowledge about the sport to know whether a player has the right ability to play at the next level or not! There are actually players on some HS teams that know more about the sport than the coach! Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I know, but they volunteered their time! And that is GREAT! Don't get me wrong!
    Get a good assistant who does know the game!
    However this thread is about whether a player, who does NOT intend to play at the next level, should have priority over players who DO intend to play in college? I couldn't care less about Tball or rec ball the thread said HS or TB!
    Peace, Love and Happiness

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  5. Abbey fan

Abbey fan Full Access Member

Next level

That decision is up to the HS coach or the TB organization. To me, HS coaches will play their best players and probably could care less what the players wants to do after HS. Most HS coaches will try and help kids that want to go to next level, if asked to assist.
    Our travel ball organization has made the decision to only allow players that want to go to the next level to play for us. We travel to showcase and ASA qualifiers and we hope ASA Nationals so it really does not make sense for a player to travel that much if they are not seeking to play college ball. Seems to work for us.

6. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

pretty much it. agreed!

alot of levels of ball out there......
    finding one for your needs is prolly doable as well, if the case.

7. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Also Let Me Add !!!

Girls interest change, boy friends, jobs, cars,etc.... a kid may want to play this year,and change her mind next year...hopefully in the case of Showcase TB the coaches play the kids that want to continue into college not so much the ones that are playing for the fun of it. I agree high school coaches will and usually start their best nine,and get the other kids into play if the score warrants entry....:bath:----- GURU

8. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

I don't think any coach is going to play a lesser quality player just because they aspire to play at the collegiate level. I am aware of coaches who will play lesser quality upper classman on this basis which makes no sense to me. The better question is whether or not players who want to play beyond HS should receive priority when it comes to captaincy, mvp and other team awards and all conference, all district and all state awards as long as two players on the same team are reasonably equal in deserving it. These are important items which college coaches consider and personally I dont see it doing any good to award a player who is hanging up the glove come June of her senior year and who in all honesty will probably forget about any award received by August anway. The key again is whether the award can reasonably be given to a girl who does aspire to play in college.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  9. CanAmMan

CanAmMan Full Access Member

There are a lot of girls that get tired of softball after HS but are very good players. They should not be punished and not play in HS just because they do not want to play in college.

I think that when they reach their junior and senior year and they say they don't want to go onto the next level they should not pley the high quality tourny's. I am not saying to stop playing travel ball just not play all the exposure tourny's.

10. softball4ever1987

Agree

I agree with you and Guru, girls can be quite wishy-washy in their teens due to lots of social issues! I also agree, that a player who does not intend to play at the next level, should not get to play! I think anyone who wants to play the sport should get to! Like CF said there are plenty of arenas for them to play! Maybe, I didn't make my thread clear? I just don't know that like one post said, that a player who intends on not playing at the next level, should get priority over a player who has made it very clear that they want to play at the next level!
    I also do not necessarily think that a player should get to play over an under classman, just because they are an upper classmen! I think the best player for each position should be put in that position, in HS ball period! But of course, who the best player for each position is, is certainly open to opinions and we all know that each of us has our own! The coach has theirown, the parents have their own, the player has her own, the fans have their own, and so on and on and on! Having said that I also don't think just because a kid plays TB, that she automatically is a better player! I have seen a lot of kids playing TB that are not stars, in any fairy tell!
    But in TB I do think the players who are sure they want to play at the next level should get priority over players who do not intend to play at the next level!!