1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Showcase baseball costs?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Thirdbase, Jan 7, 2012.

1. big

big Member

Something we ran into with camps, the coaches are really looking for a particular player to fill a need. However, they phoned many times, emailed and pursued to get my son to come to their camp. We get there and they tell you they are only looking for pitchers and are not going to sign anybody else, no matter how well they do. They are just using some kids to be able to see the ones they want. In these cases they are just taking the money from the parents of the kids they have contacted to come. My son is playing at a D1 school so he can play but were used and taken advantage of at camps that invited and pursued and had no interest in him. The point is be careful and be sure the coaches are looking for his position before you spend your money.

2. pick42

pick42 Full Access Member

good advice

Some of the best advise we got in the showcase process and surely it applies to any effort to play at the next level - thru whatever path - is to WORK HARD but make sure that performance in the classroom can help when being attractive to coaches with limited athletic scholly $.
    Also - understand what you are getting into - from the start - freshman baseball players - in the fall - GO TO WORK. - some will find that after years of dedication to playing better baseball - the baseball college "lifestyle" is NOT for them.

3. JM15

JM15 Moderator

I'll throw it out there. I need some 2013 pitchers.. Just $200 to participate. We've got three top notch events. PM me if interested.

www.eteamz.com/carolinaravens

4. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

thank you for the updates

.....and for the honesty, this is quite telling.

5. ncsu82

ncsu82 Full Access Member

my two cents

Just saw this thread and thought I'd throw out a couple of things. Didn't read all the other post so these may have been covered already.

1. It's a double edged sword. The average collegiate player on scholarship (meaning he has to receive the minimum 25%, remember, there are 8 kids on each D1 team not receiving anything) is getting between 25% and 50%. For the average state supported school, that equates to roughly $3750 - $7500 per year. Or $15,000 - $30,000 over a four year period. Now, considering kids are beginning to play travel/showcase ball as early as 9/10 years old that means their playing 8/9 years before entering college. As for the total amount spent versus the scholarship received, well I just let you do the math. All financial advisers would tell you it's not a very good return on investment. BUT, the other edge of that sword is, for MOST kids, if you don't spend the money and get the exposure, then you'll never receive the scholarship. Of course if you're 6'4" and throw 93, then you can stay at home and throw bull pens in your back yard with pops and they will come find YOU!

2. With all that being said however, I have always contended that throughout the years my son played travel ball, I always knew 3 things: where he was, what he was doing and who he was doing it with. Many people cannot say that. And because of the quality people both kids, parents and coaches that he was associated with, has no doubt influenced the person he is today. Which I think is pretty good.

So is the money worth it? Yea, I'd probably do it again.