1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Showcase Baseball... too many teams???

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by coachevans26, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

What if Jim Bob's players beat the big dogs? Have they justified their right to compete on a regular basis with the big dogs? I agree with the scrub team. But we all know that their or teams that can compete with the big dogs. They may not win but compete. I would think that college coaches and scouts would get bored with these teams playing each other time after time. How would you gauge out of state teams?

2. OldAngelsCoach

OldAngelsCoach Full Access Member

Scrub teams? Come on fellows! I do happen to be one who feels Showcase is getting watered down pretty quickly. I haven't actually seen any so called scrub teams in the Showcases we have played. I have seen lot's of players that currently play on the so called big teams that began their baseball on the less loaded teams. They learned the game there, not just by showing up and meeting the elite. I think there is a place for all players and coaches, even dads, who train and work with the kids who now play as so called elite players. I suppose the old saying goes that there is no limit to what you can accomplish if you don't mind who gets the credit. Give me all the players who have played for me the last 6 or 8 years and we'll play with anybody. No bitterness here as I understand my role in these young mens lives. I am a daddy whose son has probably had it much harder because he played for me but for the most part I have treated all the young men who played for me like they were mine. So be careful what you ask for. Without us daddys, you boys may run out of recruits! JMHO.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  3. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Definition of Quality Volunteer vs. "Daddy"

OldAngels,
    I think you've hit on something here. No one is trying to discredit the talented and knowledgable baseball guys who just happen to be volunteering their time. I guess I'm in that club too!

But how do people differentiate between them and "Daddy"?

If the boys have a legitimate D1 or solid D2 shot then they belong at E. Cobb and Jupiter but if they are playing Babe Ruth caliber ball why bother? It seems like the parents are the ones who feel left out and want to make sure Johnny doesn't get passed over.

Then when several scouts/recruiters or "knowledgable" baseball guys who give them a real and honest assessment........... Johnny can't run (7.7 60 time). Won't see the Mendoza line against 90+ pitching, has no arm strength and thus can only play 1B (and is probably a liability there) so therefore he is not a college prospect, Daddy walks away and grumbles that the "evaluator" doesn't know anything. His quest continues to find someone interested in a slow kid who has a long swing and no glove. Maybe if we go all the way to Jupiter we'll find one there?

And all this for .33 of a scholarship?

4. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

This Weekend's Local U@#*A Tournament Teams

Here are the 16U teams entered in this weekends U@#*A tournament.

If the boys at 16 still enjoy playing but aren't Impact, SCP, OnDeck, Megastars, Cubs or C'Heads caliber why not just sign up for this? If one or two of the boys in this weekends tournament are legitimate prospects they will either A.) Migrate to a Showcase team or B.) Be discovered by LR or ASU or WCU or UNCA etc, etc........ and get a shot anyway.

Carolina Reds
    Carolina Warriors
    Carolina Twisters – NC
    Rutherford Co. Royals 15U
    Elkins Eagles
    Carolina Cobras
    Kannapolis Cannons
    South Charlotte Broncos
    Shuffletown Braves

5. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

My bad!!!!!

I would like to first apoligize to you and all for the using the term "scrub".:oops: I did not mean it to refer to teams that do not have the level of talent such as the elite showcase teams. I know the players you have had on your teams in the past. And your dedication to those players looking for their chance to play to their best ability. Your drive to teach them the right things in life to do. You are correct there is a place for everyone.

6. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

Plate man beat me to it but I also want to apologize for using the term scrub team. There is defiantly no scrub team out there and every team has a right to be out more than the other. It was a misuse of words and i'm sorry if I offended anybody.

7. LClefty04

But I agree with aguyyouknow. Why play a team that maybe has one recruit on their team when the other teams have the whole team going to play college baseball somewhere. I have played many teams where that has been the case. I was glad they were out there but they didn't need to be in that position because we embarassed teams like that.

Plate dad, we played Impact around 8 times that year because we matched up evenly with those guys and every time we played them we had a great college coach turnout. You play top talent around here it gets you ready for the big time showcases. The reason we finished 3rd in Jupiter in 04 was due to the fact we played Impact so much. We cannot gauge our team if were playing a weaker team and beating them into the ground. Yes, every now and a weaker team may beat a top team, thats baseball. But as becoming a better player and getting yourself ready for the big showcases, would you rather face a team that matches up with you or a team you going to beat pretty easily?

Like someone posted earlier, have a tournment with the top teams in one bracket and lower teams in the other. The winner of both brackets play each other for the championship. That gives everybody a fair chance and maybe an upset in the championship game.

8. baserunning

baserunning Member

What is the deal when showcase teams bring in players to play in one or two tournaments?

9. LClefty04

If someone from the original team wont make it that weekend and they need another arm or something, they will bring someone in to fill their spot. I am sure there are other reasons but this is the one I have heard the most throughout the years.

10. 3play

3play Full Access Member

Too many........

Showcase will continue to be watered down. Too many dad's (and mom's) who either don't understand what showcase is about or can not see their son's level of talent. You see it at every level, from dad's coaching just to ensure that their son plays, losing good players and friends on the way or players playing with younger teams even though their grade is higher. Many don't understand that showcase is about being able to play at your best under pressure. Having teamates that do the same. Last, but not least, there must have coaches that can communicate with the scouts/coaches about the players abilities. It's more than playing a game where scouts/coaches may be at. You can see what happens when a lesser known or talented team plays. Scouts/coaches have to eat or go to the bathroom sometimes..............