1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Showcase Baseball... too many teams???

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by coachevans26, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Stretchlon

Stretchlon Stars

Bottom Line is

NO dads = NO kids = NO baseball players.

Dads have a role as well as GOOD coaches as well as Moms. play ball and let the best kid win. thanks. RS

2. catcher10

catcher10 Full Access Member

Explain?????

3. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

Like I said, thats great he knows enough to fix the problem. If all the dads would join together and create one team with a dad that understands the game instead of creating a team just so his son can play, then that would be cool.

What are all these daddy teams going to do when showcases go to invite only and all the elite teams are going to play for scouts and daddy teams are just playing each other with no scouts there? Maybe just playing the game is enough for them, but 99.9% percent of the kids that play showcase ball want to go to the next level.

This is my opinion which won't agree with others but yes there so called "diamonds in the rough." There are some daddy teams that have a solid player/s but I think with tournaments/showcases going to invite only, then unfortuantly a lot of these teams will fold due to paretns getting frustrated with paying money and not seeing scouts or results. Then on top of that another players dad will get upset and start his own team. So in turn its a never ending cycle of dads wanting their son to get playing time and then another daddy getting upset and creating his own team.

4. dpa3401

dpa3401 Full Access Member

I'm not going to put this into "daddy teams" but I think everyone should give thought to the fact that no matter how teams are formed they provide an opprtunity for players to play the game. In reality that is what all of this is about. Players develop at different rates and ages and if they don't have a place to get in quality playing time they won't be given the chance to improve. There is no such thing as too many teams, if a team plays someone that is much better and they get kicked the real players will be even more determined to get better. If you've got the hudzpah to take a group of unknown players and play in a tournament loaded with elite teams my hats off to you daddy or not. Let kids play

5. LClefty04

What needs to happen is a league for teams to play in and get better and have fun while doing it. College ball isn't for everybody but at least these kids have a place to play instead of being told "well kids I tried to get you in so and so tournaments but they didn't accept us." No players should feel like they aren't good enough or not "special" enough to play. So at least parents are paying for their kids to play and getting better pitch-by-pitch. I by no means saying kids shouldn'y play if their not on elite teams or anything like that. I'm just worried that daddy ball might diminish because of tournaments going to invite only and there should be a place for kids to play and have fun.

6. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Being a daddy (no team) parents at all levels should really look at the team. Ask those playing time, position question. If you do not get the answers you want go where you find there. It may not be right for you. I also have something for the elite player parents out there. You too need to ask those same questions. I see the term D-1 used a lot. Granted there are some great players out there on the elite teams. But, even there everyone is not D-1. Let's put this out there: you have your invite only tourney and the elite teams are there. Now, if you were from a small D-1, D-2 or a JC scout or coach. Why be there? You have no chance at these superstar players if they are all the stud upper D-1 school players, unless there is something wrong with GPA's or other items that would keep them from a D-1. Point is that even at the elite level you have players that just do not fit the mold for D-1. But someone lower would love to add them. As there is a place for those players so are there for the few players that do not have the $$$ or connection to make the elite teams.

7. 55dad

55dad Junior Member

Summer Baseball

Here's a link to how things are shaping up in our area for spring/summer baseball.

http://www.carynews.com/sports/baseball/story/6528.html

I don't think there is a better opportunity for a player with be with his HS coach for 16 - 20 games during the summer. Each varsity team picks 2 all-stars to form a division all-star team for tournament play. These games get looks from many college coaches and scouts. And people seem to favoring this over Legion and Impact in Wake Co.

It was also made clear that any contact with the coaches by parents was limited. It was a good season.

AAU and USSSA teams are a dime a dozen and yes the talent pool is diluted. But we'll play USSSA in the fall to playtime.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  8. LClefty04

That is true. Not everyone on a elite team is D-1 material. But being on a elite team means your chance of being seen/playing at the next level is pretty dang good. From my team only one guy didn't play ball in college but he had the offers. He went to school for education only but he did have the opportunity to play in college. D-1 is not a fit for everyone. I have been to a JUCO and now i'm at D-2 and I wouldn't have it any other way. But playing for an elite team means scouts will come to your game whether they are D-1,2,3 or JUCO or major league scouts.

9. LeftySlider

LeftySlider Full Access Member

10. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

Sour Grapes????

If thats the case sounds like more folks need to imitate what SCP has done since both teams were so successful this summer.