1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Showcase Baseball... too many teams???

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by coachevans26, Aug 8, 2007.

1. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

This has obviously been a success for high school teams who want to develop their teams for the following season... it has served it purpose well and I see it growing more each year!! These guys did a heckuva job in starting this and doing things the right way...

2. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Here is a comment on PG website

New Column - Overlooked Prospects!
    We hold many events with high profile prospects. So often these are the biggest, strongest, fastest players with the best arms and most power. Often other top caliber players and pitchers don't receive the recognition they deserve. This is because these players don't show the magic MLB numbers... They just go out and beat those type players. The real gamers, the guys who win, there's a lot of room for these type players at the college level. These are the guys who put up different numbers that relate to finesse, a feel for the game, intelligence and most importantly winning! These are the guys who just get the job done!

We are going to start paying more close attention to these winners! In this column, we will recognize a player or pitcher that could easily slip through the cracks, but all he ever does is perform and win.

Sam Spangler is the first player we will profile. He is an 06 LHP from Albuquerque, NM. He throws in the low to mid 80s which is very good, just not that eye boggling type velocity that scouts and recruiters covet. Sam Spangler is a 6-1/165 lefty capable of winning lots of college games. He shows a nice easy arm action with solid mechanics. Spangler has a lot of projection left and will throw much harder in future years, but he doesn't really have to in order to win at the DI level. This kid can flat out pitch! He gets good movement and can mix up 3 pitches for strikes.

Some might say that there are lots of kids like Sam Spangler out there. Why is he special? Stats can be very misleading in baseball, especially based on just one event. Even the various events can be night and day as far as talent and competition. That is why Sam Spangler stands out! Just follow his last summer involved in some big PG and WWBA events.

Marietta, GA- July 9th- PG WWBA 17U National Championship
    Spangler pitching for ABD Bulldogs (CA) was the winning pitcher, defeating a very talented Diamond Devils (SC) 5-2.

Marietta, GA- July 15th- PG WWBA 18U Championship
    Spangler shut out National Capital (VA) to get the win in a 8-0 ABD win.

Temecula, CA- July 28th- PG West BCS Championship
    Spangler was ABD's winning pitcher against the North Rialto Yankees

Jupiter, FL- Nov 19th- PG WWBA World Championship
    Spangler was the winning pitcher as ABD shutout the NE champions Farrah Builders (NJ)

Spangler also threw a 5 inning 0ne-hitter against Team San Diego in the AZ Fall Classic.

There it is... 5 games against national level competition including the biggest scouting event in baseball. Sam Spangler went 5-0 in those 5 games he pitched. Others will draw more college and pro interest, but could they have matched the results of from this past season? Maybe someone should take notice.

I googled the name and what do you know here is more info. http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/Player/player.html?pid=6&aid=13606

I guess that this makes it a new ball game.

3. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

New Name for Showcase?

Maybe (like so many times before), a name change is in order. Maybe "real" showcase ball should be called Super Showcase? Or Elite Showcase? Or Gold Showcase? Or Super Duper Showcase?

I know there are now 13U teams calling themselves "showcase". Why? Who is looking at 13 year olds?

Nobody wants to be left out.

4. GloveSide

GloveSide Full Access Member

Elite dilution

Is "Showcase" the AAU/USSSA of the past?

There are differing levels of competiveness in this so called "elite" travel ball world. "Hi this is my son Bobby boy. He has played "travel ball" since he was 3 years old."

Coach says, "Wow! Really! You're a travel ball player?"

Whats neglected to be said is the fact that the kid played on "The Bobby Boy Road Rangers" baseball team that gets clobbered even at AA level ball. Of course Bobby Boy Sr coached it.

All of of the travel teams out there where supposed to be the best. In alot of ways this is very sad. As long as you have the money to play you can play in this "elite" arena. You don't have to have many skills.

I know alot of kids that could play the pants off alot of these kids but they couldn't afford an ice cube in a coca cola.

Don't get me wrong! I like the differing levels of play. The MAJOR level travel teams are very powerful.

But the idea that you are playing elite travel ball is hogwash.

I was not aware that "Showcase" ball was getting dilluted also.

Lets go ahead and set it up this way:

MAJOR D1 Showcase 4u-18u
    AAA D2 Showcase 4u-18u
    AA D3 Showcase 4u-18u
    A D4 Showcase 4u-18u

Why not get all the players in one spot on a saturday and see who has it and who doesn't?
    IMO

5. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

I love this concept. I hope it catches on.

6. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

This may give you an idea of just the growth in USSSA teams in Central North Carolina.

Following are some of the 2007 season highlights for Central North Carolina USSSA.

1. 2007 teams registered = 1362 (1997 teams registered = 32).
    2. 2007 Sanctioned league teams registered = 194.
    3. 2007 teams attending World Series = 76 (playing in: Georgia,Flordia,Kansas,Michigan,Mississippi,North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee).
    4. 2007 teams playing in the Allstar State tournament = 27.
    5. 2007 teams playing in the Allstar World Series = 12.
    6. 2007 teams playing in the Elite World Series = 4.

That's right. 1362 registered travel teams in USSSA alone. And people ask if they think Showcase is going to grow. We're just seeing the tip of it. The name may change but these type programs are growing.

7. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Yea that pissed off AAU. They got to greedy with charging you for everything and making you stay at their sponsor Hotels. And they would not let you even take a bottle water in. They wanted that concession money. USSSA has done a great job getting venues and teams near the coast. Reaching out to the small markets. I would say by the numbers they had a plan and it is working.

8. homeplate

homeplate Full Access Member

Legion ball by far the best

9. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

How so? Just wondering and i'm not calling you out but what's your reason behind saying legion ball is the best?

10. homeplate

homeplate Full Access Member

go back the last 10 years and tell me how many players from north carolina that have sighned pro contracts that have played just legion and how many have sighned that have played just showcase and travel ball look also at the d1 sighnings,I think showcase ball is fine in the fall or after legion season but the best is playing legion ball