1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Showcase concept

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by speedandstrength, Jun 14, 2005.

1. speedandstrength

speedandstrength Junior Member

I am just curious. I noticed at some of the Showcase tourneys that girls that have already signed are playing most of the games, and the girls that are looking to sign are sitting the bench. I understand that the college gals need to play to keep up their skills. Not saying that, I just don't get why they play the majority of the time. I also understand that the team may be filling in with that player, and there is no choice but to play them. This is not the case on several teams that I watched. Any ideas?:umno:

2. SoftballGorilla

SoftballGorilla Junior Member

I know in our case, (18U showcase team), we have four graduated seniors, who have signed with colleges, and they play a lot and will play a lot (through end of July). We have at least 5 sophmores and 3 juniors. But our coach does a good job of getting plenty of playing time for each player. Plus it is a good experience for the younger players to play ball, practice and socialize with the older players. Our older players bring a lot of leadership and maturity to our team.That's our experience but I hear what your saying.:twocents:

3. LBlues 1

LBlues 1 Full Access Member

Some teams are trying to establish themselves as a team for coaches to watch, so they are trying hard to win, since winning does draw a crowd. We play our unsigned players most of the time in Showcase events but do have seniors that are filtered in the line-up for a few innings a game. Many Showcases allow free subs on defense so U can do alot of changes while allowing more exposure to your underclassman. Our second year of SHowcase we had to play seniors a great deal cause we did not have enough underclassman to showcase. That said, to each team its own, if the girls on that team are happy and the team is successful, and the coaches are coming and recruiting the team members, not sure it matters what the rest of us may think. Some successful teams in past years and a couple teams this year are using college players with their other girls, we chose not to do that. The key is what the girls think of the situation they are in at the time. :twocents:

4. Phillip Morgan

Phillip Morgan CentralCabarrusSoftball

Fair or Unfair

I think the players that haven't sign need to play also during Showcase Games. So they can get noticed. Yes girls who have sign can play to but not the whole game. So I agree with you.

5. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

Every team's different

In the case of our Carolina Wildcats we are primarily a "signed group" this season. Sort of a natural cycle as last season we played with only two signed players. The coaches and girls really enjoy playing together so they all came back this season. That said, our few unsigned players are in the lineup for every inning of every game and the '06 pitcher is throwing the "spot light" games. This is as it should be. Obviously the fall will be a big transition.

6. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

Rodney, you just have a way of getting right to the point. Each team's concept is different as well as the circumstances surrounding that team. Just putting a team of this caliber together in any organization and getting into the tournaments you need to be seen in is no easy deal. I have always thought that your responses out here have been well thought out and you usually try to get people to see both sides of all issues. Sometimes things are close and personal and thats not always easy to do. You want to get all your underclassman seen but also to be fair to all players on the team. The cost to play is not any less expensive for the signed or college players as it is for those who are not signed. I am having to go to a meeting so whatever else I was going to write has gone out the window. Good Luck to all teams this summer and Rodney I hope to see you in Columbia this weekend.