1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Stanly Post 76

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by WESTSIDE COACH, Nov 9, 2008.

1. SOL-yacker

SOL-yacker Junior Member

It is all good

but the past couple of years the team lacked leadership - that will change since Coach Lee is back. He don't play favorites or politics - he plays to win. It will be a rude awakening for some of the younger guys this year. Go Colts.

P.S. There are a lot of people displeased with the program at WS, esp baseball. Look no further than the snap to know why. It starts with the leadership of the school.

2. AColtFan4Life

AColtFan4Life Junior Member

Does anyone know if Poplin is being considered for the legion job?

PS - outside of the baseball - which still had two conf. championships - but, couldn't take it all the way the past two years. I have read the SNAP and it has always been a joke with the WSHS side. When we are good - coverage is weak - when the negative and mistake of others happen coverage is strong. Of course even I know that is news people for you! WSHS baseball and basketball team ranks in the state with the highest GPA and the school as a whole shows success as well - SAT score highest and more. Overall that shows good leadership for all the kids.

3. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Don't know him personally, but always heard good things about Coach Lee and his teams always played a good brand of baseball and always very fundamentally sound.

4. Junky

Junky aka George

WSHS

I played HS baseball with David Lee and I am glad to hear and see the good job he has done at WSHS. He comes from the old Bud Smith stock play to win no daddy ball. Good luck to David and WSHS.

5. WESTSIDE COACH

WESTSIDE COACH Junior Member

New Legion Coach

I heard that Terry Tucker was the new 76 Coach. My info came from another web site?????????

6. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Can you or someone share any info on Terry Tucker? Is he from Stanly County, did he play legion there, or where is he from? Glad you guys got someone, hope things work out for the best, because that is a great baseball community and he will be leading a great legion program.

I would like to be the first "outsider" to welcome Coach Tucker to the local legion scene in what is usually a very tough Area III Southern Division from top to bottom, excluding usually only maybe 1-2 teams each year. Night in night out you gotta bring it in this division. And again thanks guys for sharing the info. DCL knows me and he knows I sincerely wish you guys the best.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  7. DCL26

DCL26 Full Access Member

Coach Tucker

This from the Albemarle news and Press about coach Tucker.
    Post 76 names Tucker head coach
    By Charles Curcio, Sports Editor

Thursday, December 4, 2008 — Stanly County’s American Legion baseball team has named South Stanly head baseball coach Terry Tucker as their new head coach.

Tucker is entering his first year as head coach of the South Stanly Rebel Bulls, after coaching three years at Concord High School. He brings four years of baseball coaching experience to the helm and years of playing experience with the game.

A 1986 graduate of West Stanly, where he was a three-sport letterman, he graduated from Campbell University in 1990 with a bachelors degree in business administration and was a four-year letterman for the fighting Camels baseball team as a second baseman and competed in the Western NCAA Division in Regionals in California.

Through his college baseball career, he played with and against many players that have played professional baseball.

After college, Tucker spent most of his professional career of 14 years in the banking profession until deciding to become a teacher n the spring of 2005.

He finished the 2005 baseball season (5-3 record) at J.M. Robinson before the move to Concord to become the head JV baseball coach and assistant football coach. In 2007, Tucker became the varsity head coach as well.

In the summer of 2008, Tucker made the move to South Stanly to become the head baseball coach and to join the football staff as an assistant football coach.

“My expectations are to get the interest up in Legion baseball, because playing Legion ball is one of the best avenues for letting college coaches and pro scouts see you play,” Tucker said.

“I want to get the best players of Stanly County to come out to play. We have to get the community to believe in the Legion progam again, in how much a player can progress and advance their skills.”

Regarding his philosophy on the diamond, Tucker said that “some call me a small-ball player. I like to be aggressive and manufacture runs, steal bases, hit and run.”

Tucker also talked about being excited at the prospect of playing in a tough division as the Area III Southern Division.

“I wouldn’t want to be in a league that is a pushover,” Tucker said.”

In 2007, Stanly County Post 76 finished eighth in the 10-team division at 10-12 overall, 8-10 in divisional play.

Tucker also talked about Don Montgomery Park and the improvements made there including the grass infield.

“It’s more appetizing to play on because of the grass. As a player, I always felt like I played better on a good field,” Tucker said.”

The 2009 Stanly County American Legion Post 76 baseball team will open their season in May.

8. shop24

shop24 Full Access Member

Any rumors on coaching changes in area III this year have heard Mocksville. South Rowan, Wilkesboro, and possibly Kannapolis any news please post.

9. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Kannapolis will still be under the leadership of Head Coach Matt Stack (his 2nd season), and his same assistant Matt Harris. There has been some discussion about adding one more specific assistant, and also talk about a Junior Legion team in Kannapolis for that matter, but nothing in stone yet to share.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009