1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games Eastern Seniors

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by fastpitchndad, May 18, 2010.

1. slick50

slick50 Full Access Member

I am fairly new to all the rules concerning discussions on a thread. Is it proper etiquette to use someone's name or family members names?

2. JefferMC

JefferMC Full Access Member

Actually, I have to agree that the real name dropping on someone whose opinion you disagree with seems in rather poor taste.

I've seen it in friendly conversations and take it as a sign of familiarity.

In this context, it seems more like a personal attack.

3. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

to answer the question above, is it proper to list family names??? whatever. if you dont care, i dont care. i would rather know who's doing the talking instead of guessing.

closing threads. why do we close threads????

we dont close threads because we dont want to discuss certain things, heck, those who know me know i'll argue about anything if it strikes me right.

but the point is how its discussed. if you dont like how something is run, state why you didnt like it, its your opinion, you're entitled to express it.....to a point. we try to do things with taste here. listing reasons why players possibly wont try out for the games is just your opinion, and to say that the majority dont go out for these reasons is pushing the envelope of truth in my opinion.

i made some phone calls today. polled five schools in our area. three didnt elect, nominate or even tell their players about this, because they didnt know. the other two only nominated three between them. so i think that one of the major reasons is not being informed about this on a large scale.

we know because pop rivers post here.

most of us know because our daughters or players have been involved in the past.

i cannot help but feel that one of the reasons that people complain about this is because their daughter wasnt selected or didnt play enough to suit them. every kid that i talked to had a riot last year and enjoyed every minute of it, sitting on the bench or playing. it was a priviledge to them, an honor.

so if you're dubbing the state games for the above listed reasons, give it a rest. if you have suggestions as far as improving the state games, list them here. if not, please take it somewhere else.

Most of us old dogs remember when we had nothing for the girls at the end of the year except playoffs. and believe it or not, i know a butt load of girls who work for the priviledge and honor of being selected to rep their district and school.

so if i close this thread, it will be because of the same old tired statements and insults that seem to come from the same people time and again on this very subject.

oh, to counter another thought that will surely come up: i am not involved with Pop or his organization, the state games or whatever. My daughter graduated long before this organzation was created. Pop and I dont see eye to eye on everything thats done, but I give him constructive feedback and i have respect for what he does and what he's done. in my opinion, you should do the same for this man.

4. playball24

playball24 Full Access Member

You are right, but that is ok, I'm not surprised by the comment in the least. He was making a point and yes I do believe it is a "he" and not a diamond "lady".

5. DBoyz4ever

DBoyz4ever Junior Member

Eastern State Team

As I stated earlier, my daughter chose not to play this year. I did not list any reasons, other than bad experiences the last two years - no specifics, although many others have touched upon many of the reasons. I can say that many of the nails have been hit on the head. I will still not go there, so as not to ruin the experience for someone else that may have a different result. I tried to encourage her to sign up and at least be eligible for the try out. I told her "this is your last chance to have an opportunity to beat the west". All I can say is that she looked into whatever information was available and chose not to play. This isn't about dad. I was out of town and only saw the last game last year. I saw every pitch of every game two years ago and pushed her to sign up again last year, even though she didn't want to. I think it can be an awesome program, but it has its' flaws.

Good luck in fielding a competitive team and good luck in the games.

6. justsoftball

justsoftball Full Access Member

Some excellent thoughts and a nice, calm, non-attacking way of presenting them Cheese :biggrina:

To reply, with the same thoughtfulness, to some of your comments:

*I* never said most will not try out for this reason. Simply that many players I have dealings with have expressed the listed as *their* reasons for not trying out for state games. It was not by any means stated or meant to imply *majority of all players.*

The intent of the State Games is excellent. Over the past couple of years, I have told more than a dozen girls to go out, give it a shot...you can have fun. Last year, I even took a player NOT in my dd's district to a tryout because she didn't have a ride and wanted to give it a shot. There are kids that I encouraged to try out that made their respective teams and had a great time. A couple of kids did not make their teams, which would follow with odds. And some made their respective teams and were NOT happy. There was definitely a difference from region to region.

Certainly *one* of the reasons someone might complain is because their dd did not make the team - no different than the school team, the tb team or even the age old "not enough play time in rec" mentality.

But when you are talking about players at the level we are talking about, generally that is not the case.

There are a few constructive suggestions that could come out of what I relayed much earlier in here, as expressed by players:

1) As someone pointed out earlier, the state games allow people to represent their school and district. This is a very broad statement, because often times a large percentage of schools are not represented because a skewed proportion of players come from a single school. In the case of one state champion last year, this could be understood. In the case of another region where a school is represented at 50% and was not a powerhouse, did not even factor into later rounds of state play offs it is not as easily understood....unless one were to realize that the coach of that regions game was the coach of that school and players had made several comments "they were already told they would be on the team because "that coach" was coaching the team. Suggestion: 1) To actually achieve the ideal of "representative of the school and district" cap the number of players that can come from one school until all the other players from the other schools of equal or greater skill have been exhausted, then add from those schools with heavier representation; and 2) Use as a basis of selection the school stats on the season when compared to the level of competition faced. After all, this is supposedly representative of school play...what better way to determine the value of a potential player than their current achievements? You cannot tell me a coach at say, Butler would have a clue how a player at say, West Forsyth (yes I know these 2 schools are not in the same region), plays if they have not faced off during the season and the schools sucess (or lack thereof) is relatively unknown.
    2) Make sure the coaching staff is unimpeachable. I don't think a single one of us on this board would want our kids playing with someone that has a habit of screaming, jumping up and down, getting kicked off the field, and encourages the same behavior from players to coach our daughters. Can you?
    3) And I completely failed to mention this earlier...let's try not to schedule it against one of the biggest showcases on the East Coast each year.

As for this forum, people need to stop assuming that sour grapes drives comments that are not necessarily in line with some of the others opinions on this board. Sometimes, sure, they are. But alot of times, it is because people have very valid concerns, for very valid reasons.

Oh, and you are 1000 percent correct that alot of players do not even know about State Games. My dd's school coach has recommended she try out each year even thought she has chosen not to for her own very valid reason, which I will tell you below. But all the people I have referred over the past couple of years, their schools did not. So certainly this will have a play in the turn out numbers.

The biggest thing that needs to come out of this conversation, IMO, is that people need not to assume that just because someone states something that does not "jive" with their opinion, it is not necessarily sour grapes.

My dd, btw, will not tryout out or play as long as reason 3, above, remains an issue.

7. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

.......E Z, even though I love your post and its a great oneliner....there does exist a difference in hiding behind a username and the act of calling out the name of someone on the board.

I do think that some annonimty (spellcheck) is a good thing in forums like TBR because it allows folks to say things that they truly beleive and wouldn't spout off about if it meant that they or their kids would face ridicule for their opinion and then add more frustration in their lives.

....OK, I'm not gonna run from this thread before I say my peace!

The State games have been awesome in the past and I truly hope Pop and others will continue to provide an wholesome avenue for our kids.

If something chaps your AS$ that you feel compelled to post and you truly think that by posting it will change things for the better, then post away folks.....otherwise, take a hike.

Fishman

8. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

this is how you present an argument. to the point, not attacking and no names mentioned. thank you. many of the issues you've mentioned need to be addressed, especially with the first item. i have heard this discussed before.

i appreciate your three suggestions and hope some discussion will come of this.

9. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

1. I believe each region should be responsible for forming the best team they can for their region. Stats wouldn't necessarily give you the best regional team. They could be helpful, though, in some situations. Adding in a bunch of red tape won't make the selection process any better nor will it not stop the whining; it would probably increase it. State Games participation IS NOT mandatory!

The way it is now, you select the best players from those who want to play. If the best players don't want to play you end up with the team you get. The coaches are part of the team. If the team wins, they're the best; if they lose, they aren't the best. It's that simple! No restrictions, no excuses!

2. If the coaches are qualified to coach at their respective schools, they should be qualified to coach the State Games. If not, that's an issue for another authority.

3. The State Games this year were scheduled to not conflict with the tournament.

Bottom line: No excuses; the State Games Champions will be decided on the field!

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  10. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

.....I've got your back Phreak! I've chosen not to read ALL of the previous posts because I caught wind of dissention in a post directed towards you, .........and don't let this pat on the back post fool ya Pal, you're a trip! lol,....................hey folks, Phreak is an unconditional, true player/game advocate! We need more folks like him.
    When he posts, he tells it like it is because he knows from many years of experience.

He's the kind of coach that would be on the 1B line in a game and take time between innings to help a batter on the other team.

PhreakPal ain't no dummy, even though he plays one on TBR! LOL!