1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games results

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by 12to6, Jun 17, 2005.

1. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

Sunday, June 19​
    th

Doak Field- North Carolina State University
    *11:00am Region 4 ​
    3 vs. Region 7 9

*2:00pm Region 2 ​
    0 vs. Region 5 11

Cary Academy
    10:00am Region 6 ​
    7 vs. Region 1 5

12:30pm Region 8 ​
    3 vs. Region 3 8

*Gold: Region 5
    *Silver: Region 2
    *Bronze: Region 7

2. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Kudos!

Well very welll said Coach May Go Region Five :)

3. 29ers fan

29ers fan Full Access Member

Way to go Region 7!!!!!!

4. gbacks21

gbacks21 Gbacks21

Substitutions??

Just a casual observation from the 2005 Underclassman State Games and the way substitutions are made. I have watched Region 6 play now for two years and their coaches are religious about playing everyone in every game. Half the team plays the first four innings, then substitutions are made for the last three innings. The starters in game 1 are the subs in game two, etc thruout the competition. Region 6 played Regions 2, 4, 8 and then Region 1 this year. I did not see many substitutions away from Region 6, especially of the better players.

Is the purpose of the Games to WALK Home w the Gold or to Showcase the all the players??

:imagestor :imagestor

5. deaconfan07

deaconfan07 Junior Member

State Games

I was blessed to watch all of Region 5 games throughout the tournament and it was obvious they were the class of the field. Great depth in pitching ( throwing 2 sophmores Ben Bunting (Randleman) and Greg Holt (West Forsyth)), outstanding catching with Nate Cockman and Ryan Boyan) and great infield play lead by Dustin Johnson(Reynolds), Dustin Ackley(South Stokes) and outfield play of Addison Johnson and Derek Funk. This team followed the play 4 sit 3 rotation and there was never a drop in the talent level. These guys can really hit the pill with long homeruns from Cockman and Holt, C.J Beatty (Glenn). Brent Haynes (Southern Alamance) was overpowering on the hill Sunday giving up 1 hit with 7 K's in 4 innings. In watching the other regions play, talent dropped off a little with some substitutes coming in. Region 5 was solid throughout with a great nucleus of 07's possibly coming back next year ( Scott Riddle (Eastern Randolph), Greg Holt (West Forsyth), John Stamper (West Forsyth), Ben Bunting (Randleman). There is some great talent in this state and it was a pleasure to watch each player show their talents. Does anyone have any MPH on the pitching? I heard it was down compared to last year.:229031_ha

6. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

Good Point...
    Were there pro scouts at these games ? Just curious.
    Seems to me that some of the players at these games have already made or announced committments to play in college..
    Why take a spot from someone who has not made a committment or had any offers.

7. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Region 4 Used same substitution pattern.

Region 4 used basically the same substitution pattern. I know for a fact that their best players (Liles, Poulk, Bangs) sat out significant time. By the way, Nick Liles for Scotland County put on a show all weekend with the bat. Man is that team going to be loaded next year.
    Best player I saw all weekend was rising junior Madison Bumgarner from South Stokes. Just a pure stud. Hit a 400 foot bomb and dominated on the mound for three innings in the game I saw.

8. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

I would...

bet they all do as far as equal playing time and substitutions. After spending four years with Region Five as an assistant and Head Coach as well as the Head Coah for the West team in 2001 this IS ALL we thought about ensuring EVERY player got enough at bats! Enuf innings on the mound and defensively as well and using guys with SPEED in running situations and pinch hitting as much or as often as possible! THAT IS a give me in these games and it is ALL about showcasing ALL the payers! If you win fine if not well ok! Winning is just the creme rising to the top whether it be talent or luck! :) Bury it! :)

9. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

My son played on Region 5's Junior team the previous 2 years. The format is clearly setup to showcase the players. Winning is clearly secondary for all Regions.

The scouts are massively present on Wednesday, when each Region parades their players for a 1 hour tryout: 60 yard dash, arm strength (both pitchers & position players), basic fielding, & hitting. Very similar to alot of Showcase tryouts. The kids are all rising Sophomores & Juniors, so very few have committed to a college. None have signed (per NCAA rules).

About 100 colleges & most pro teams were represented. The scouts hang around for a day or two, but by Sunday most are gone.

10. deaconfan07

deaconfan07 Junior Member

Good looking 07's?

I know that State Games are basically for the 06's but did anybody see some outstanding 07's? I saw Bumgardner and he looked good. Region 7 Zach Howard hit the ball well. Region 5 was loaded with numerous 07's. Any opinions are any of them?