1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games results

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by 12to6, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I agree also, Redbird...very well said. Also, there were quite a few deserving Juniors left off the teams due to numbers. Why give his spot to a Sophomore?

2. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

That was the reason i asked in an earlier post. I don't understand why a coach would want to have soph's on the team to begin with. I would hope all High School coach's are trying to get their seniors and juniors to another level beyond high school or at least make the opportunity available to them.

3. Coach May

Coach May Full Access Member

Sophs vs Juniors

If a Junior is equal in talent to a soph then take the Junior. But if the soph is better you take him over the Junior. If your not going to take the best players period that are elgible to participate then exclude the sophs completely. The coaches wanted the rule of 3 sophs per region taken away because they did not want to have to take a junior over a better soph. They wanted to get the best possible players regardless of soph or junior. Either take the sophs out of the equation completely or leave them in and just take the best 20 players regardless , soph or junior. The bottom line is the 07 and 08 class in NC is outstanding. It is deeper and more talented than the 06 and 05 class. Time will bear this out to be true. The same kids that were beating up on the Fla Texas Cali teams in AAU when they were 12 13 and 14 are now Fresh and Sophs in High School. GBC, South Charlotte Panthers, The Stampede, Durham Diamonds, Catawba Valley Storm, South Wake Storm, NC Aces, Davie BoSox, Old Providence Muddawgs, the list goes on. I can remember being at the AAU Nationals two years in a row when these 07 and 08 classes were playing D-1 AAU. There was 7 teams from NC in the final 12 in the Nation. Now I see these same kids playing key roles as Fresh and Sophs in High School. There are some outstanding players coming and already making a huge impact. Alot of them were playing in the state games this year and next year you will see a whole lot more of them. The bottom line is you can not leave a kid out if he is elgible if he is more talented. Why would you want to. If the Junior is equal or better of course you take him. But I would be willing to bet that these Sophs were on the teams because they can flat out play. Not because a coach was trying to hold back a Junior.

4. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

I just dont see the point in having Sophs in a Junior game.. Any way you look at it.. your taking away an opportunity for some junior to move to another level.

If the team consists of the better player no matter what class they are , then its about winning. If its about winning then forget about equal playing time...
    just my opinion and i dont have a dog in the show ...

5. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

I don't think my earlier post was clear...The college scouts (college coaches) were the ones doing the complaining about having so many Sophomores. My understanding was that they complained & the 3 Sophomore limit was institued. Apparently it got over-ruled this year.

My personal opinion: The State Games opened the door for my son to get a scholarship. For that reason, I would prefer to see the teams be dominated by Juniors. After all, who gives a rip this week which Region won?? So I vote for the 3 Sophomore limit...(as if anyone cared how I would vote)!

6. Big Ugly II

Big Ugly II Junior Member

If you look at the State Games website there is no reference to "Junior" games. The rising seniors and rising juniors are referred to as participating in the "underclassmen" tournament.

I do agree if a rising senior and a rising junior are judged to have equal talent the slot should go to the senior however if the rising junior is clearly the better ballplayer then he should fill the slot.

As far as the 07's and 08's it's amazing that you see many of the same players who started in Concord as 9 year olds still excelling and loving the game today.

7. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

Posted by Intimidator Coach:

Doesn't the burden fall on the High School Coaches...most of the recent post agree it is about "showcasing" your players helping give them a better chance at the next level.

What about the High School Coach that didn't nominate any of his players? We had a couple of those here in Charlotte...they had players that made all conference but the Coach did not nominate them for the State games...

8. 12to6

12to6 Full Access Member

isnt there a rule that says that you can only nominate 5 palyers from each school? thats what the case was in some schools i know. that can leave a few guys that could possibly make state games, not even to get an opportunity

9. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

Dbacks20

In our conference 5 out of 8 teams sent players. 2 of the teams only sent 1 player each that I could tell.

One of the 3 teams not having anybody show up had an All Conference player not go and I know the Coach well enough to ask him why and he simply stated politics.

There are undoubtedly some coaches who feel their kids won't get picked due to the process. We've already hashed that over and over so let's not go there again. Also I don't agree with his defeatist attitude, but he has a valid point in my mind.

Let's talk about how it could be done better - I'm going to start a new thread to address that.

10. Squid

Squid Full Access Member

If so, why would the Reg 6 coaches select players who have no interest in playing beyond HS?