1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games results

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by 12to6, Jun 17, 2005.

1. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

Squid, I meant to say that the Games are set up for the purpose of showcasing talent...However, I imagine not that every coach follows that perogative.

I do know that gold medals are low on everyone's priority list. Pitching rules restrict a starter to (I think) 3 or 4 innings. Everyone plays an adequate # of innings, with the best players getting a little extra.

We won silver both years, but I don't know if my son could find the medals today. It just was a laid back, low key, fun in the sun event. And it seemed that attitude prevailed....no umpire arguments, no tears with losses, no butt chewings for mistakes.

2. Coach May

Coach May Full Access Member

Wouldn't This Be Fun

What I think would be more fun and exciting to see is this. Each Conference regardless of Classification take their All Conf Teams and play. You could do it like this. Break the state down into 8 regions. Play a 2 game elimination tourney in each region with all 4 classifications grouped together. Take the 8 region winners and play it off using the same format the CWS uses. I would love to see those teams go at it. You would still have alot of great players in it and you would see guys really competing against oneanother. You could let the first place teams coaching staff coach each conf team. Or take one coach from the top three teams. In stead of having all these tryouts etc nominations etc you would have ALL Conf teams playing each other. It would be very competitive as well.

3. Squid

Squid Full Access Member

include private schools?

but i'd still like to know why a coach would select players who are good but clearly NOT head and shoulders above other available players AND who have little interest in playing beyond HS AND demonstrated lack of committment to the game by partying late into the night before the game.

4. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

Yankees

I was not looking to re-hash the process....we all agree there are some politics involved in the process. It just bugs me that a coach would not at least nominate his top player(s) to give them the opportunity to tryout and compete for a spot on the team...political or not, I feel it gives the player a feeling of pride and accomplishment to know he was nominated for the team....this is just my opinion...:twocents:

I will comment on the new thread on how to improve the process.

5. Coach May

Coach May Full Access Member

Private Schools

Of course I would include the private schools. Let me tell you what some of these private schools play some outstanding baseball. Add them in like any other conference and lets play it off. As far as a coach not nominating his best players for the state games I really dont know what to say to that. Maybe the players told the coach they didnt want to play in it. Maybe they didnt get the paperwork back to the coach. Maybe the coach nominated some kids and didnt nominate others because he didnt want them to compete for a spot against oneanother. Maybe the coach is too lazy to fill out the forms. Who knows why. I think the rule is still only five nominations from one school. And only three from one school can make the team. We have nominated kids every year. We have had three make the teams. Now I will not nominate a kid that I do not feel is State Games material. I will not nominate a kid that will not represent our school in the fashion that we feel it needs to be represented. Hustle attitude talent. Alot of times a great HS player will not make the team because the intangibles that he brings to the table can not be seen in a 2 hour tryout. There are a ton of "Looks like Tarzan plays like Janes" out there. They can mash in bp and throw a hell of a bull pen. And there are a ton of guys that are 5'9 150 that will only look avg in a try out but will beat your brains out day in and day out in a game. That is why I tell kids if you dont make it dont worry about it. If you make the team it doesnt mean you are better than anyone else and if you dont it doesnt mean they are better than you.