1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games Team Selection Roster

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by homerun14, Apr 28, 2008.

1. FPitch99

FPitch99 Full Access Member

Attended Tryouts?

Is it known for sure that Murphy attended the tryout for Region 5's team? I know of some very deserving players that did not tryout for their repective Region team, due to conflicts with Showcase tourneys, like the Dynamites.

2. jfagala

jfagala Full Access Member

absolutley not

She attended all the tryouts and only said she would go to the dynamite as a fill in. She knew it would be tough to make it as a freshman, but once she got there she was clearly at the top.

Never a question of committment to the State games.

If you tried out, you were committed to playing. If you chose not to try out, you obviously wanted to be in Columbia.

I think there was several chosen from one organization. Hey, not complaining, great for those kids as they earned it, but can someone tell me how a 14 year old pitcher who has had 2 chances against C. Leonard this year, top 1 or 2 pitchers in the state, and lost 2-0 and 3-2, both in last innings, beat Forbush, Beat several other 4-A teams from WSalem area, some of whom are still in the state tourney, and not deserve a spot.

Their coach said in WSalem Journal he wants no part of Ledford tonight. It is a team game, all starts with pitching, then defense, then hitting. Facts of life.

3. OldAngelsCoach

OldAngelsCoach Full Access Member

???

Murph is a stud.. And very hard to understand why that one didn't happen. There were some choices several of us didn't understand but hey.. It ain't my team. One just needs to be careful when making statements early in the season. It will always come back to bite you...

4. LDFRDGUY

LDFRDGUY Banned From TBR

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. PitcherzMom

PitcherzMom Full Access Member

Region 5

The coaches for Region 5 had tough decisions to make on who to keep, but decisions they made and we must accept them even if we disagree. Unfortunately everyone who tried out could not make the team although I'm sure they would have kept everyone who tried out if possible. While questioning and/or debating the selections, let's not overlook the ladies who were chosen. Congratulations to all who were selected! To those who weren't, keep working hard and don't give up. Best of luck to all who are playing in The Dynamite and other tournaments!

6. fstptchdad

fstptchdad Banned From TBR

I agree---congrats to all that made the STATE games and thanks to all the politics that will keep very good players in the future from ever trying out!!!!!!!

7. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

I'm sure that as the selection process is reviewed a lot of these issues will work themselves out. If I'm not mistaken I believe there is a site that you go to to sign up for tryouts.

Perhaps in the future the coaches of the state high school teams could submit the names of the players that they consider worthy of trying out. Then the player so qualified could decide for themselves if they want to try out. I believe that would give good meaning to the term All-State if they had such.

As I've said before I know there are a lot of good players who didn't try out. As far as our regional is concerned I believe it was pretty much free of "politics". Of course, if I were a coach selecting players and I "knew" a player I believe that would affect my decision somewhat. Because I would have personal knowledge, perhaps, of her ability. Of course, there will never be a perfect system--there are simply too many talented and skilled players to fit on such a small roster.

If the games are like they were last year you don't want to miss them. I've been to many, many tournaments and last year was one of the best I've seen. It had a college playoff atmosphere. I hope to see it get better and better. And we can all help it move that way with a positive attitude!! It's for the girls!!

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  8. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

How many pitchers will region 5 carry????....

....????

9. ptp

ptp Member

Unfortunately politics are part of our lives everyday. Instead of using that excuse I attempt to send a different message to my kids. Let not making that team serve as motivation to make one's self better. Work harder for next year so the coaches have no choice but keep you when tryouts begin. Make it where he reads your name (not just on TBR) and hears it from other coaches before he ever sees a ball or bat in your hand.

And not making the team should not deter anyone from trying out again as the head coach will be someone different next year.

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Outstanding post......I hope you plan to stay around and post more often.