1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by pirates06, May 3, 2006.

1. spectator2

spectator2 Full Access Member

You're right in saying some high school coaches may not get involved in the process. However, I don't think it's a walk up showcase. That is, get some coach to nominate the player if at all possible.

2. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

They have to be nominated and they must attend a tryout and get selected by the coaches of that particular region.

3. spectator2

spectator2 Full Access Member

Also, I believe there is a limit placed on the number of players that can be selected from any one team.

4. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

FYI

This is the information posted on the website:

High School Baseball

COMPETITION SITES: N.C. State University, Durham Bulls Athletic Park & Cary Academy

COMPETITION DATES: Wednesday, June 21-Sunday, June 25

DESCRIPTION: Two separate tournaments – a high school senior East-West series and an eight-team underclassmen (rising juniors and seniors) tournament – will make up the State Games high school baseball competition. The graduated seniors will play a three-game series on Wednesday, June 21 & Thursday, June 22. The underclassmen tournament is a four-game, round-robin competition that will be held June 22-25. Scout workouts will be held June 22 for each underclassmen team.

ENTRY INSTRUCTIONS: Players must be varsity players at a North Carolina high school. Players must be nominated by a varsity high school head baseball coach before March 17. Players must attend tryouts in order to be selected. Forty graduated seniors will be selected to represent the East/West teams (20 on each team). Twenty rising juniors and seniors will be selected to represent each of the eight N.C. High School Athletic Association regions.

ON-SITE REGISTRATION:
    None in this sport.

NOMINATION PROCESS: Varsity high school baseball coaches interested in nominating players from their team or conference need either the senior player nomination form or the underclassmen player nomination form, both of which can be printed from www.ncsports.org. These forms must be received by the State Games head coach of the appropriate region before March 17. Coaches may nominate no more than three seniors and no more than five underclassmen.

ENTRY FEES: $15 per player for underclassmen teams. The two senior squads do not have a team entry fee, but all selected players should expect to incur some expenses for hotel, travel, etc.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact the State Games office at (919) 361-1133 or contact your high school coach for a nomination form.

5. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

Dont depend on ya high school coach to help at all...
    I think i heard RC say one time the West Rowan coach was waiting on his players to ask about the games .. and the players were waiting on the coach to make the first move.. something like that...

anyway... look after yourself by yourself... thats the best way..

6. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

It is just the way it is

Some HS coaches are on top of things and some are not. It is just the way it is. As a player and as a parent you have to be self informed on baseball related issues especially if your coach is not one to be on top of things. Ask the your coach if he is going to nominate anyone for the state games well in advance of the deadlines. If he puts you off you can go on the web and print off the nomination form yourself and take it to him yourself. If he does not nominate you or fails to take care of it then go to another HS coach that has seen you play and ask him to nominate you. The bottom line is in some programs you do not have to worry about the coach taking care of business. And in others (its just the way it is).

7. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

That's right Coach, but there is one thing I want everybody to understand.......Coach Cauble wanted to nominate some players, but on the other hand he wanted to be sure there was an interest in the State Games before he made the nominations. He wanted to avoid nominating anyone that wasn't interested. For those of you who are wandering, "who wouldn't be interested?"..........well....there were a couple who weren't.

8. pirates06

pirates06 Full Access Member

State Games.

I hate to use this site for a complaint session, but i also have found out that there is also some people here with some great advise. Here is my complaint. my son Alex Hill tried out for the Underclassmen State Games. I called one of the coaches and he told me that he did not make it. That is fine because i have always told my kids that they have to work hard to get what they want. What bothers me is when i asked why, the coach hesitated and then proceeded to make all kinds of excuses to not tell me until i insisted that he tell me. He told me that his arm strength from the outfield wasn't strong, his fielding and arm stregnth from the infield wasn't good and his hitting wasn't up t o par, basically he did not grade out. If this was true i would tell Alex that he needs to go out and work on these. They are not true. I watch the entire practice and his throws from the outfield were the most accurate and the strongest. He had one of the fastest times in the 60 for the outfielders and his hitting speaks for itself. I have never been a parent who goes to a coach when things don't seem right. I have taught my two sons that if they don't agree with something that they go and talk to the coach themself and find out what they need to do, and then if they don't understand then i will go and speak to the coach because as their father they are my responsibilty. Alex batted 568 for the season but that is not good enough to make the Underclassmen State games. Alex is also being recruited by D1 teams (as soon as we make a decision i will post). If you were to ask his coaches from highschool or the AAU teams and showcase teams that he has played for who would they want up at bat when the game is on the line and a pressure situation, i am positive that they would tell you Alex. I also asked the coach how many kids from the team that the coaching staff coached this pass season made the team he again hesitated and made excuses to not tell me. I then proceeded to ask him how many black kids made the team and again he made excuses and did not want to give me an answer. I asked him when will the roster be posted because i am very curious to who made the team. I am sure every player who made the team is very deserving because there are so many good ball players in this area, but i also know that my son should have been one of them. I played ball in High school, college and the professional level. This doesn't mean i know it all but i do know baseball talent when i see it. I also know that there is not a school in the ( State) that my son could not or would not start for. The only reason i could come up with is that they take the players from their schools, players from high profile schools or they feel that black ball players in this area is not good enough to play on and in these types of games. I pray to god that my last thought is not the reason. Again posters, i apologize for using this podium for personal reasons but i felt that i had to if just for my peace of mind.

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Wow...what a very good post pirates. To be honest, I could write a book about this situation, but it would cause too much controversy. I feel for you pirate...but keep this in mind. As you know, the State Games will have no bearing on where Alex will attend college. It is a great experience, but in retrospect, it is not a memory that lasts long after it's completed.

There are many, many deserving players that don't get selected and it has not hampered their future one iota....as I'm sure it won't for Alex.

I know it must be difficult to deal with this type situation because you never know about veiled racism. It's frustrating I'm sure....but let's take the high road and say that the coach obviously can't judge talent.

Good luck to Alex in the future as I'm sure "happy days" are just ahead of him.

10. nextlevel5

nextlevel5 Full Access Member

state games

politics!!!!!!!!!!!! i know alex and i know his level of play he should have made that team. last year my son tryed out and did not make the team which was fine, but when we saw the roster we new something was not right. i do not think race is the factor, but rather who you know and politics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bananalam

Last edited: May 18, 2006