1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by pirates06, May 3, 2006.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

We are always just trying to help...it's our motto :D

2. rams42

rams42 Member

Politics- In high school baseball-now come on.........My son went to both tryouts in our region, did great------At the last tryout they scrimmaged, the kid that was trying out for the same position hid and didnt even take his turn at the plate, never swung the bat in the game. Guess who made it???????
    NOT MINE. Its totally who you are- We had probably 75 kids the first tryout and maybe 35 the 2nd. Id like to know how many made it that didnt show up for the 2nd tryout.

3. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

Here are two other choices:
    1.--Let the NCHSAA handle it. Then all who try out would make the team, and we could have a thread that allowed parents to vent about their son's lack of playing time.
    2. -- Just let the dads of all the aspirants handle choosing the team.

4. oriolesfan

oriolesfan Junior Member

All Conference

Why not pick team from all conf. selections. and all state? Games are after these selections anyway. That way all coaches play a part.

5. pirates06

pirates06 Full Access Member

state games.

I heard that a player made the team and he wasn't at the tryout that we attended. I also know that this player was injured and did not play at the end of the season. If he made the team that is great because i know him personally and he is a very good ball player and even more, a great kid. It just reaffirm my belief that the team is basically picked before the tryouts. If this is true then that is not fair or right. From little league to the major leagues there will always be players who make the team who should make it and players who make it who should not. That is the nature of the game and the choosing process. For all posters who seem to have a smart answer for everything, this is not whining or complaining on my part because my knowledege of the game, my love for the game and my experience playing at all the levels and the coaches i have played for speak for themself. I just want the players to feel that they have a fair opportunity and right now i don't think that is the feeling. Let us not forget the most important thing and that is all of these games, from little league to high school are for the kids and not us parents.

6. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

It IS unfortunate that there is no foolproof method for selecting kids to the state games teams, or any other team, and I expect there are many on this board who have experienced what they perceive to be a slight when it comes to their own. I know I have. Fortunately for me, it has served to inspire a little more work towards a goal. A hard working , accomplished individual will win out in the end.

7. TTIMEnktown

TTIMEnktown Member

There are reason's for everything. Sometimes we just have to look deeper why they happen. My son tried out for his region. His high school coach, who coached this region last year, told me that he would make the team. The coach of the region this year told me at our conference tournament that he would make it also. He ran a 6.7 in the 60, hit the ball very well & fielded his outfield postion as good as anyone there. Guess what,,,,,after not being contacted this week, our guess is that he didnt make it. After saying all that, we had a diliema with him possibly playing in the State Games because the same week there is a D-1 football camp in Charlotte. He really wanted to do that too. We have been telling him that he would have to make a decision next year, which sport do you want to play at the next level. Now, that he didnt make the State team does that mean that he doesnt want to persue playing baseball at the next level. Definitly not, he loves the game too much. So like I said,, there is a reason for everything .

8. Airman

Airman Full Access Member

To Cantstopme#8

Is that you centerfielder#8? I noticed the incorrect spelling of the word "know" is again spelled incorrectly as "no" just like centerfielder#8 spelled it. If it is, I thought you were banned and I know you tried out for the state games! You represent your school well with the way you spell!! Congratulations on making the state games though, but if you go to college (baseball or otherwise) you will need to learn to spell and write correctly.

9. tj21

tj21 Moderator

For some of you guys questioning the selection process, let me remind you of something that someone once told me a long time ago and its VERY TRUE. I agree that oftentimes the coaches do things that make us scratch our heads,,,,, but just remember this, the boys out there,,, the PLAYERS THEMSELVES all know who deserves to make any all-star team and furthermore the players know who "DON'T" deserve to be recognized too.

Coaches and parents can screw up anything,,,, but ultimately all players earn respect from their teammates and opponents because of "YOUR PLAY ON THE FIELD", and nothing else. That respect that players have for each other is PRICELESS and will last a lifetime. Awards are nice, but they are merely worthless pieces of paper if the players don't truly believe someone deserves it.

For those who don't make the state games, trust me the sun will still come up tomorrow.

10. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

Has there ever been a team that players tried out for to which this thread would not apply? Every parent sees their kid through their eyes as the best regardless of what they say and that's why being a coach is a difficult job. You will never make everyone happy even the players who are on the team because the next hurdle is "my kid isnt playing enough". Everyone knows beforehand all the "issues" discussed in this thread regarding team selection exist and if they will have a problem with their player not making it because of these issues don't try out.