1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games ?????

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Plate Dad, May 12, 2007.

1. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Maybe

he had he got caught up in the "only 3 per HS team allowed to play on a regions team" rule. It could have been with all those talented players from the same HS that he was the odd man out. I dont think that is fair. I think it should be the top 20 players period. If 10 of the guys come from the same HS but they are 10 of the top 20 players in that region then they should make the team. It should be only about getting the top 20 players period from a region. Of course you have to have a certain number of pitchers and posistion players to make up a team. But I think you get the point Im trying to make. I do believe that that rule still exists. I do believe there is a rule on how many can actually be nominated by a HS coach as well. I believe that it is 4 with only 3 from the same HS making the team. Someone Im sure will correct me if I am wrong but I dont think I am.

2. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

Coach can nominate 5 underclassmen and 3 seniors I believe.

3. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

The requirements to tryouts are post on the website.
    Here they are:

ENTRY INSTRUCTIONS: Players must be varsity players at a North Carolina high school. Players must be nominated by a varsity high school head baseball coach before March 16. Players must attend tryouts in order to be selected. Forty graduated seniors will be selected to represent the East/West teams (20 on each team). Twenty rising juniors and seniors will be selected to represent each of the eight N.C. High School Athletic Association regions.

NOMINATION PROCESS: Varsity high school baseball coaches interested in nominating players from their team or conference need either the senior player nomination form or the underclassmen player nomination form, both of which can be printed above. These forms must be received by the State Games head coach of the appropriate region before March 16. Coaches may nominate no more than three seniors and no more than five underclassmen. All properly nominated players are invited to attend tryouts and should not expect to receive any additional information after their nomination form is submitted. Check the tryout information above for the dates, times and locations of tryouts. Also, make sure you check the tryout information for changes before attending a tryout. Cancellations and changes due to weather will also be posted here.

I agree with "Braves" that players should be given some type of feedback thought the process. If no more than to give them a one through ten number as to how they did that day. Fair but still it is information. Most coaches are honest in the statement "come to all the tryouts" in case you have a bad day. They do not know each kids name. A lot of good players are there. Now for the stirring the pot a little. I have seen forms turned in at the tryouts, coaching staff in so many words coach a player though the tryout. I also think that the coaches should not have direct contact with parents of players or others outside the process. This I see this as politics. If the coaches are volunteers then I alsothink they should have no other coaching or instructional attachment to other teams outside the high school coach requirement. These are facts and suggestions to make the process better for the games and players.

4. catcher10

catcher10 Full Access Member

Tryouts

I believe that many of the comments I've read in this thread are correct, as different as they may be. I watched two tryouts (for underclassmen) and this is my opinion. First of all, I commend the coaches at these tryouts and my son was not selected. It is an honor to be nominated and my son has been motivated to improve for next year.

I think there were at least 70 players and the tryouts were long. The coaches keep things moving, giving each player the same opportunity. Having said that, these coaches have to have an idea who should make the team prior to the tryouts. You simply can't tell who your smart base runners are from a 60yd dash, hitters from coach's pitching, outfielders from 2 throws 3rd / home, infielders from 3 ground balls, catchers from pop time and pitchers from bullpen, etc. etc. These things help, but come on. Who gets picked off, OBP, hitting w/ 2 outs or RISP, fielding percentage, runners not attempting to steal on a catcher and how does a pitcher respond with bases loaded / no outs is much more important. Those things are only learned over a long regular season. And if a coach knows / likes a player over others of similar abilities, honestly I'd pick that guy too. I'm sure the team is not complete before tryouts, but equally sure spots are already filled. I don't know that it could be done any other way.

I think Braves touched on something that I would like to see. If you don't make the team, a brief explanation as to what you need to work on for the future. A short note or email would be a fitting gesture for the effort put forth by these young men. Just my 2 pennies.

5. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

After hearing today who was left off the Region 8 team and who was on, I doubt seriously they will win a single game. The team is loaded with players from losing programs this year and players I know that will play D1 baseball were left off. One will be able to see when the teams are announced that the team is overloaded with players that have coaches represented. Now before any of you jump the gun on my post, our HS is represented with 3 players. I would prefer to handle and specific discussions through PM's as I don't feel it is right to discuss names in a public forum.

6. Plate Dad

You said a lot. All is true. A little word to improve and working hard for next year. Mudcat sorry about Region 8. It just this comes down to what a player needs to do and the staff being honest.

7. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

And let me state that I respect the coaches that I know that are sacrificing their time away from their families to do this. I realize that they are fine quality men doing the best that they can. It is not perfect, but it is a good as it can be.

If I had an influence on the way to select the players it would be this: I would get with my other coaches and discuss, debate and decide who I thought were the best 20 players in my region. Then I would extend an invitation to those players and select two alternates. If anybody didn't like my selections...tough! At least I didn't waste anybody's time...and I was selected to coach the team; not you.

As a player, I would much prefer to find out I wasn't invited then to attend both practices, work my butt off and find out that someone else made the team and they couldn't tryout because they were hurt.

We go through this debate each year.....I'm just bothered by the kid that did everything you could ask of one and he never received a notice one way or another

8. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

OK, State Games seems to be a very important event for the kids. Just how are these coaches actually selected? What are their qualifications to be given this important task?

9. Plate Dad

I think that is a great question. How are they selected?:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

10. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

You have to....

apply and fill out app with recommendations from other hs coaches both former state games and non.. I think you have to have a min 5 yrs HC exp last time as best i remember... Then there is a waiting list based upon that the coaches from or who are actually doing the state games go through the list and pick whom they want to bring aboard once on you are expected to stay with your region for three years before moving to the head position..IF you win the gold medal for you region you are given the oppty to serve as the HC for the Seniors! hope this helps someone?