1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games ?????

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Plate Dad, May 12, 2007.

1. tools

tools Full Access Member

Nice post

2. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

I haven't seen any parents complaining on this thread. What I have seen is some posters trying to understand the process by asking questions. I thought that is part of what this site is about. Accurate information. BTW, I think most parents are honored if their child gets asked to try out. There are a lot of kids that get quality scholarships that never make a State Games team.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  3. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Well said. The information coming in has given many of us insight into how it (the process) works. That is where I have seen the questioning come into play. Not so much that my kid or that kid did not make it. Or even why this kid made it. It has been though the answering of these questions that we learn more than we knew before.

4. baseballmom34

baseballmom34 Full Access Member

QUESTION-

What is the purpose of the "State Games"? I know that it is one of the most attended events by scouts so I can understand the underclassman participating. My son was honored last year to participate but due to scheduling conflicts this year did not try out, plus he said that it might afford someone else an opportunity to be chosen. (No arrogance intended).

But I find it parculiar that the Senior State Games is made up of mostly athletes that have already signed. Other than to watch and appreciate these athletes talents, why would scouts want to waste their time?

Is this truly a battle between East and West for bragging rights? It felt more like an Impact workout/showcase. The games didn't have the feel of a real baseball game. Also I noticed that the same players are rostered 2 and 3 years in a row.

Just wanted to throw my experience out there! It was a positive experience for my son and one he is most grateful to have had. Congratulations to all those chosen this year!

5. Plate Dad

I to do not know but great question. :drummer:

6. Plate Dad

Here are a few that were posted onthe Haet website:

Congratulations to the following Heat Showcase Players that Made the NC State Games Team
    Chris Sanders Region 5
    Cody Buch Region 6
    Blake McGee Region 6
    Gordon Miller Region 7
    Corey Rhoney Region 7
    Reggie Washington Region 7
    Josh White Region 7
    Andrew Wyant Region 7

State Games Alternates
    Jeffry Howell Region 6
    Sean Pope Region 6

7. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

Let's see, there is one that played for the Heat last year, and is playing again this year that didn't make it. Then there is one that played for the Heat last year and didn't make the Heat this year that is playing. Now who is the better judges of talent.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  8. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

The State Games of North Carolina showcase many of the best players in NC. It is the largest attended scout showcase in NC and is an excellent venue for those who get the opportunity. A lot has been said abou this and the process.

The East-West Game is not a showcase opportunity, but merely an "All-Star" game / series like the East-West games of the NCCA Coaches Clinic in Greensboro in July. This is the baseball version of that. The kids play for pride and some incentive for the coaches is that the winning head coach is an assistant coach for the NC squad in next years' NC-SC Challenge, which is sponsored by the NC and SC Baseball Coaches Association.