1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by softballrocks2, May 4, 2009.

1. Capn Slappy

Capn Slappy Member

I don't disagree topdog5532 and without watching both sessions of the tryouts I don't know if anyone can make an informed decision about who is or who is not good enough. I did watch Region 3 tryouts and it would have been a hard decision to pick the "best" 15 girls. I have coached "all star" teams in the past and can tell people from experience that the best 15 players don't necessarily make the best team. Is the object of the State Games to take the best 15 players from each region or is the object to win?

2. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

-Hill does not coach at AC. He coaches East Surry.

-Hill doesnt have a travel team.

- I am not sure what the relevance is concerning how good or not AC is as a team. The only question is whether the AC players were among the best 15 to try out... please look at the 4A rankings however if you need confirmation on what type of team AC has.

Monte Sherill is an asst on the region 7 team. However Hill is the head coach and my experience is he plays it straight up.. last year for example he had some players from his HS team who tried out and didnt make the cut... when he was the assistant. My daughter made it last year and she plays for a conference rival. Anyone who operates in this fashion should be applauded rather than questioned based on circumstantial evidence.

3. topdog5532

topdog5532 Full Access Member

Great point

Just trying to help you understand the system down here........Captn slappy..I totally agree with bothsportsdad.......All are great coaches with very good players, hard to pick the 15 best

4. Capn Slappy

Capn Slappy Member

I don' have a dog in that fight guys. I'm just trying to be better informed. How are the coaches selected for the State Games?

5. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

Mike Candrea couldnt be assured of doing it....

one of my fav stories about the subjective nature of evaluating players involves Derrick Jeter (no relation to "Derrick" Hill that I am aware of) :laugh4: anyway... the Mets sent a scout to look at him. The evaluation sheet has all kinds of boxes where you can numerically score the arm, footwork etc,... you get the picture. Well this scout didnt fill any of that out. He simply scrawled in big letters "NO PROSPECT". I think we know how this one turned out.

6. MakingMemories

MakingMemories Junior Member

Region 4

Region 4 is on their 4th scheduled tryout and still no team has been set. At the first tryout, Coach was at the Hoggard tournament -apparently had never been rescheduled.

At second, 15 girls at tryouts - about half from Scotland County HS. About 12 of these girls at the 18u travel ball level, at least 1/2 with years of travel below their belt as starting players. Three were rec level players. At least 1 player that would be a HUGE benefit to team that came to first, where coach was not there, not in attendance.

At third tryout, 8 girls present, 1/2 from Scotland HS - included 2 new players trying out, the player from first tryout that would huge asset to team, and one the others mentioned above. Three from 2nd tryout taking SAT's & not present for good cause, two that should be fighting for their spots not there.

During that tryout players found out: 1) Coaches were recruiting for players still; 2) Some players from one of the assts schools could not be there for either of the last tryouts (hope the game dates are not too inconvient); so, 3) there would be a 4th, mandatory, tryout this upcoming weekend. Oh, and one coach that just arrived on the scene likes to trash talk players (because his head coach was thrown out of a game at the players school for just such nastiness which was enouraged by both the head and himself) which is not all becoming.

So this 4th mandatory tryout may be a disappoinment. Several players have prom, and are questioning whether they want to disrupt their plans for a 4th round of tryouts in this disorganized region; and a couple are just questioning if they want involvement at all.

Very sad. Rogers (HC CFVC) speaks highly of the program - very highly. This district is just not living up to those standards this year :(

Hoping that several young ladies we and the dd are fond of make the cut if they choose to go :) And wish the best of luck to all.

7. Pop Rivers

Pop Rivers NCSCA

Coach Selections?

High School coaches across the State are given the opportunity to apply to North Carolina Amateur Sports, or the State Games to be a coach for their respective region. Coaches are selected by the North Carolina Softball Coaches Association in conjunction with the State Games. Coaches who are selected become the 2nd assistant in their first year, 1st assistant in the 2nd year, and Head Coach in their Region in the third year. The two underclassmen Head coaches who play in the Gold Medal round will be the Head Coaches for the East/West All-Star game in their fourth year. Underclassmen coaches who do not play in the Gold medal round will be the assistant coaches for the East/West All-Star game in their fourth year.

8. Capn Slappy

Capn Slappy Member

Thanks Pop.

9. softballmom35

softballmom35 softball diva

my point of view.

My daughter tried out for region 7 at AC. She had a very pleasant experience with all of the Alexander girls. They were very friendly and welcoming as was Coach Sherrill. There is no mistaking the skill and level of play that these AC girls possess. We have seen it first hand this year as we played against them twice. They are the real deal. My daughter is coming back from an ACL/Meniscus repair and I know she isn't back to 100%, however, she did look good and held her own. Now she knows what to expect for next year and will work harder for the tryouts. Good luck to all those that made it!

10. kmale

kmale Full Access Member

Sites that may help you understand

I was at one of tryouts, only 7 showed up, i ask one of the players how many was at tryouts the day before, she said 15, and 7 of them are here today.........Sad, but it is a huge commitment for both players and coaches, remember, they aren't paid.......they play during the week....bad economy..I have been at the last 4 State games, didn't agree with several things that went on, but didn't complain, the girls were getting the most from it............As for the coaches and ladies that made the team.......Congrats!

http://sites.google.com/site/alexandercentralfastpitch/

http://www.ncfastpitch.org/index.cfm?id=139375&fuseaction=browse&pageid=46

Last edited: May 13, 2009