1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by softballrocks2, May 4, 2009.

1. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

I Hear You !!

You are a diplomat :coolgleamA: !!

Love ya Guru

2. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

Here's is another truth: No matter what someone states; it could be the worst character assassination or indictment on anybody, place or thing. There will be somebody that will agree with you and cheer you for your opinion.

yep.... ^

"From the pm's I've received of people agreeing with me in private..." He's a clever one I'll give him that. Never posts without leaving the door open for least one plausible zinger.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

Please, enough of this....

4. jjsphotos

jjsphotos Full Access Member

photos

im going to the games wed and thurs for state games softball (finals for hs and series for graduated seniors)

I know cheeze's catcher is in the mix but just curious who on here has someone playing and which region team (is anyone from outside region 6? or west sr team)

5. prklandsoftballdad

prklandsoftballdad Set my brother FREE!!

My DD Morgan Myers is a 3 time player on the underclassman team for Region 5 out of Parkland High School in Winston-Salem. Come on down and join in the fun.

6. lylejohn

lylejohn Full Access Member

Region 2

My daughter is on the Region 2 Underclassmen Team. She is a freshman from Laney.

7. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Junior Member

My daugther tried out for region 3 and never heard anything. Very easily should have made it ...interestingly girls who made far more mistakes, did not hit, slower speed did. Something needs to be done to make tryouts more fair.

Maybe they could have umpires or coaches not affiliated with the players trying out make the decisions. This is the "state" games and only the best trying out in the region should be picked. Not the most politically connected.

As far as not taking the time to contact people, shame on these coaches. High school coaches are supposed to provide an example to these players on how to act on and off the field. Common sense tell you to communicate with people who show an effort. Some players drove a long way and no communication back is just plain rude. If they don't have enough time for an email or a phone call, maybe coaches with more time should be coaching something as important as the state games.

After reading threads on this forum, it is obvious the coaches and the parents think they are the one's on the field. Would love to see what would happen to softball in this state if everyone just shut up and let the girls shine and showcase their talent. I bet alot more girls with talent would continue to want to play.

You people are burning talented players out. Talent is there way above anything most of you can imagine; however, alot of the talented players just dont want to play the political BS and give up!

Way to discourage players from reaching higher and challenging themselves!

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  8. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

Most all of the girls who try out for the State Games are really good players. When you have to pick about half of those who try out there are more things to consider than just how good they are. For example, if 10 outfielders try out and you don't need but 4 or 5 that kind of limits how many you keep. Also, there are players that play multiple positions. The particular coach may want more speed with intentions of playing the short game. In other words there are many reasons that some are picked over others.

Because someone is not picked should not be viewed as a slight. Most of the time the ones that didn't make it could easily replace someone who did make it without making much, if any, difference in the quality of the team.

As far as notification every person trying out should be notified whether they make it or not. If notifications are sent by email there is always the possibility that an email address could be incorrect. I do not agree that phone calls would be better but that decision belongs to the coach. The main reason I would not agree with phone calls would be telling someone they didn't get picked. Those phone calls could turn out to be long and negative. Especially if one had to justify their decision to a not-so-understanding parent. I would, however, take it upon myself to call that coach if I wasn't notified.

As far as the people on this board, for the most part they seem to have the positive interest of the players foremost in their mind. There are exceptions but I believe the moderators are aware of them and it shouldn't take too long for them to be former members.

Encourage your DD to keep improving her game. Everyone knows the Michael Jordan story.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  9. crowe10

crowe10 Full Access Member

After reading this thread from the beginning I would like to make a comment about Region 6. My daughter had an excellent experience and the coaches were nothing but professional and kind. So thank you to each of you guys and best of luck once the games begin.

10. coach44

coach44 Full Access Member

Region 3 in Agreement 1000% With DirtDevil!!!!

I feel your pain! I was going to just write this bad experience off! After hearing repeat nightmares about Region 3 I feel that I should share this with all:

My sophomore daughter also did not make the Region 3 Team. This year she was 1 of only 4 Unanimous All Conference Selections (other 3 were seniors) She carried a .489 Batting Average with a .900 Slugging % during this season. Very athletic with good pop in her bat top 10% at tryouts. Arm strength that was top 5% overall at the tryouts.

My daughter will not quit, but has become even more determined to work harder and get better. It's not where you start but where you finish.

Maybe in 3 years she will waive (or shoot the bird) to these coaches when they come to watch her college games!