1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FalconDad, May 19, 2003.

1. FalconDad

FalconDad Junior Member

OK veterans of HS Baseball i need a little input here?
    State H.S. playoff games are new to me. Would appreciate some of you veterans telling me what to expect from the other teams as we start this venture. Other than trying to beat us, are any of the teams known for being rowdy etc? Or is it just another day at the ballfield? Thanks...................................Just wondering what to expect?

2. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Held annually, the State Games of North Carolina bring many of the state's best athletes together in 16 sports. Each sport is given the latitude to determine how it goes about choosing its participants and scheduling its competition.

In the case of high school baseball, the competition is split between graduated seniors and underclassmen. The graduated seniors are chosen to create 2 teams; representing the East and the West. Beginning on the competition's first night, the two teams play a 3-game series on successive evenings.

The underclassmen, meanwhile, are divided into 8 regions of the state. Each region represents from 9 to 15 counties. (Charlotte's area, Region 6, is comprised of players from 9 counties.) Divided into 2 pools of 4 teams each, the underclassman teams play a 4-day tournament, which begins on the competition's second day. On the last day, the winner of Pool 1 plays the winner of Pool 2, second place in Pool 1 plays the second place team in Pool 2, etc.

On Day 1, each region's underclassman team goes through a pro-style workout in front of the numerous college recruiters and pro scouts on hand. There also is a Openeing Ceremony the evening of Day 1, just prior to the first Seniors game.

You can expect most of the best players in North Carolina to be present. The competition will be lively; but, consistent with most all-star events, less intense than you might expect between high school rivals.

Here's a link to the baseball portion of the State Games' website:

State Games: High School Baseball

3. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

In contrast to the state games, State Playoffs (if that's the real question) is one of the most intense experiences the players will face in High School.

The teams are tight, the crowds are huge, the noise level is high and the pressure is intense. Some schools are rowdier and noisier than others. It's a lot of fun. Experience helps overcoming the tension, so teams that have experienced sucess at the state playoff level have an advantage over teams that haven't been there or haven't won a game in state's for awhile. Senior led teams have an advantage on younger teams. It's a question of maturity and senior leadership on the field.

In the stands is another matter.... as mature as the players are on the field, expect the crowds to live and die on every pitch. The umpires will be ridden unmercifully by both groups of supporters. The heckling, cat-calls, cowbells, et al will out in plenty. Most of the players won't even hear the stand noise, but it's lots of fun to just watch the crowd occasionally. There are a couple of places where it's tough to play ..... I think Myers Park and South Meck are tough places to play an away game at. In addition, most of the NW4A schools are "ardent" supporters and provide a tough away venue. Other places are pretty laid-back and it's like watching a regular season game. It all depends on the opponent.

You guys have a first round matchup with Eastern Randolph ... we don't hear much about them down here and it's a home game so you will have the advantage. Get the crowd out there and cheer.

4. Wufman

Wufman Full Access Member

FalconDad, If West Rowan continues to hit the ball like you did against Kannapolis this past Saturday, then you guys will be hard to beat. Tell your guys to just play hard and don't overlook anyone...

Good Luck from Ktown...

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

FalconDad--- if you are a supporter of West Rowan..you have no worries. You guys will coast to the State Championship...make sure you bring a victory cigar to each game and start lighting up in the 4th inning...as Wilson, Waller, Link, Adams and the boys bring home the rings.

6. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

Oh yeah?

Dem's fightin' words...:mad:

7. Braves

Oops...I forgot you guys were in the same classification...

Falcon Dad, forget what I said...don't start lighting up until the 5th inning....and if Ragsdale brings their cheerleaders, you might have to wait until the 6th.

Sorry Wossa..WR is just too strong...but I still love my adopted Tigers

8. FalconDad

FalconDad Junior Member

Thank you gentlemen for the kind and informative remarks. I will be at every game that West plays and maybe some others. Maybe some of you can appreciate this(I have a son on the West team, why is it that i feel like Im Playing?) My stomach churned in the last few games of the season i guess because of the lack of hitting by West, but now i have to prepare myself for the States.
    Nerve pills anyone? (Just kidding!)

9. Braves

FalconDad...I hope your son is not a pitcher or that stomach churning will kick up a few more notches

10. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

:D :D FalconDad definitely sounds like he needs induction into the P.P.F. (Pitcher's Parents Fraternity)....