1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State of D1 Softball in NC

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Dukedog4, Apr 5, 2012.

1. PiedmontSB#6

PiedmontSB#6 Senior Member

I don't know.

I've seen the names of girls on here that have signed or declared. Would 4 or 5 of these girls on the same team in NC put that D1 school in competition with some of the tops in the nation?

2. comfortably numb

comfortably numb Junior Member

2 real good freshmen.......playing out of state

Sarah Mooney and Morgan Lashley, James Madison and West Point, respectively. Both girls are having strong seasons and speaking specifically for Morgan, because I can.... She is en route to breaking almost every single season pitching record at Army and leads practically every Patriot League pitching category....with 3 weeks and 18ish games to go in the regular season. Is it the SEC...no. But it is the #3 academic institution in the nation. And it has some really good softball too. Same goes for JMU. So those girls are doing real well for themselves. I can't speak to why Sarah isn't playing college ball in-state, but Morgan played club ball out of state because she wanted to play gold and premier level ball and that wasn't an option in NC. She wasnt recruited in-state either and partly because she didn't look in-state. So, no fault of any program. She isn't big enough to pitch at UNC, which was the only academic program she would have looked at. You all should check those girls out at their respective schools websites. They're two great kids and softball players.

3. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

Some Analysis

Agree, both girls are having excellent FR seasons. Whether they are impact players remains to be seen. Consider the competition. JMU's RPI is 189 and Army's is 196. These are the lowest RPI's for team's with at least 20 wins except for Bethune-Cookman. These girls didn't make the schedules so they are not to be faulted but the competition has been less than stellar.

One kid that did get away was Chelsea Leonard. She's 7-0 for a good UL team. She's been used somewhat sparingly which is understandable given her physical history. I think I would put Hannah Alexander at Upstate in that category, also, although the Spartans schedule was woefully weak through the first six weeks of the season.

Why does Upstate schedule this way? It's sort of a joke. I could understand it if they couldn't compete but they can.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. comfortably numb

Agree on scheduling.........

I agree on the scheduling, at least as it goes for Army. However, having studied their schedule for the years prior to Morgan's acceptance, I will say they have added a couple tougher non-conference games and my understanding is they will continue to do so, based on the pitching they have in place now - so we will see and maybe discuss this time next year. Morgan did get kicked around in the UGA game our opening weekend........ it's a growing process for sure.

We are pleased with her performance - she has lost a couple of close games for Army that we could have won with a few better pitches and maybe a run or two more.

At the end of the day, she is very happy with her overall selection to attend West Point. Softball-wise, she is thrilled.... Military Academy.... those days are up and down as is to be expected. It isn't a typical "college" environment for sure.

Take care - this is an interesting post for sure.

Paula

5. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

What really matters is . . .

. . . . this young lady is at a great institution playing the game she loves! Yeah, I know I'm the one who raised the schedule/competition issue but that's because we were dealing with the question of why college softball in NC schools wasn't as successful as it might be and could it be because impact players migrate elsewhere.

I can't imagine any greater honor than being able to attend a service academy. It's a shame the Naval and Air Force Academies don't sponsor softball teams. There's no question that any young person who participates in any varsity sport at any of the service academies is very special! Hats off to any and all that played a role in this young lady's development as a person and athlete.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  6. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

Absolutely!!! Yeah!

7. currylib

currylib Junior Member

It's the education that matters

This is a great thread. Interesting viewpoints.
    As to the above West Point kid- I don't know her, but I would say that many girls (rightfully so) go for the education. You can chase winning programs, but who knows if it will still be strong for the 4 years you are there. You can want to play at a "high level" of college ball, but as someone said, not everyone can. But the education- that's what's important. If she were my daughter, I would have wholeheartedly encouraged her to go out of state for the stronger education, and a service institution to boot. Not too many overwhelmingly strong schools (academically) in NC that also have softball. So the available spots are few. My DD is going through this process and finally decided that she will go for the best education even if the softball is not always what she had hoped. This is also taking her out of state.
    As for the recruiting within NC and if the players are D1 or not- it never ceases to amaze people why some coaches choose/recruit/play some kids over others. I guess it's what each coach happens to see in that kid. It doesn't always pan out. We've all seen "superstars" that go flat and "ok" ballplayers that step up when needed. A coach of a NC D1 told me "we recruit them, and then cross our fingers that the keep improving and get to where they need to be. It's a crap shoot."

8. comfortably numb

Education is where it's at for the girls....

You all are right on all fronts....

1) Morgan changed to out of state club team for more exposure and better overall team.... All players were very very good. No dad coaching.... Not that I view dads coaching as bad.... But I do know there are times when it can be (ie you aren't playing my kid, so I'm going to leave and start my own team v maybe my kid isn't good enough to play so I should get her the instruction she needs to improve and compete for a position). It seems to me that today in general parents tend to "help" their kids and in the process only hurt them. If they don't get a promotion, is dad or mom going to go talk to the boss or get the kid to go to a new company?

2) Morgan wanted to play college ball since the 4th grade. Period. She gave up everything...friend activities, etc. and she worked like a dog. My job was to make sure the doors were opened for her. Her job was to get the job done when they were and she was out on the field. Team effort. So, in the process....maybe some people around here decided they didn't like us. I showed loyalty to my daughter....not a team. When it was time to move her because she maxed out on talent for the team or competition we were playing...we left. But we had personal goals.

3) we have watched the recruiting process since she was 13 and playing on and 18 gold team. It is tough. The family has to recruit the school as hard as they recruit the kid. To find out IF THEY ARE BEING HONEST ABOUT HOW BAD THEY WANT YOUR DAUGHTER. I have a lot of friends with very unhappy kids that were the cats meow and now sit the bench....Thankfully we are not one of those families.

4) education has to be the first priority..... You guys hit it on the head.... You don't know what players will come and go. Or coaches. But the academics and the degree will be with the kid for life. These are girls and such a small number go pro. One of Morgan's catchers in club ball is kristyn Sandberg (UGA) and she just got drafted. She and I laughed when she called me to tell me about it. It's like a summer job. 8k. So for girls....education has to be the priority. Morgan turned down bigger "softball" schools because of what west point could offer her. That and we absolutely adore the head coach.

So you are right. She is getting to play the sport she loves and has been playing since she was 5. She is getting a world class education too. I wish every girl playing and looking to play in college would just stop and think about their education first.

We wish air force and navy had softball too....navy's AD doesn't like softball, so I hear.... Don't quote me though.

I too am sad the level of softball isn't better all around in NC. Club mostly. This is a great place with great potential. Lots of knowledge to share and wonderful coaches. It's the parents that ruin it for the kids...personal opinion.

Keep up with Army Softball if you have time. We are at Bucknell for conference games this weekend. :)

9. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

When a player is interested in playing at a school they have to promote themselves to that school. If they take the time and effort to get their information to the school's coaches they will be seen and evaluated.

It seems some believe that if you go to showcases and certain tournaments that you might be "discovered".

If you don't let the schools that you are interested in know of your interest your chances of being "discovered" are practically zero.

I don't know of any school that would fail to take a look at a serious prospective student.

Just think of the money that could be saved just by families contacting their school(s) of interest and letting those schools know where they'll be playing. Or sending them a few youtube links of practices and/or games.

It doesn't have to be, and shouldn't be, a crap shoot! It's not that difficult. You don't have to go to a half dozen states to be seen by the school that offers the best choice for an education. Softball should be the second priority; it's gone in 4 years!

10. luvmygirls

luvmygirls Full Access Member

I agree that education is the priority as long as you know what you want to do with your life. My youngest daughter wasn't sure what she wanted to do, but she knew that softball was an integral part of her life.

She chose a larger school that would give her the opportunity to find her career goal and not have to worry whether the degree was offered where she was attending.

Her priority in choosing a school though was to find the right fit for her to play softball. I have softball to thank for her succeeding in the classroom and choosing the right degree that fit her.

It didn't bother me at all that her priority in selecting a school was the best softball program for her. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, and I finally got my BBA when I turned 40 years old.