1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Playoffs - Round 3

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by JM15, May 20, 2009.

1. buntandrun

buntandrun Senior Member

Congrats to South Granville on a wonderful season.Coach Ferrell has a great program and one we respect greatly.He and I have been in many battles through the years but tonight may have been one for the ages.You could go all over NC and not find a better person and coach than Kevin Ferrell.Tonight was a tough loss for either team and we were lucky to have some kids step up and make plays.Hats off to a very tough SG team.We feel very fortunate to be moving on.His kids always play hard and swing the bat.

2. karlrocket

karlrocket Full Access Member

West Brunswick 16 Wilson Fike 4

WP:Brock Holmes
    LP: William Prince

Fike ran into a buzzsaw tonight at West Brunswick!
    West Brunswick hit the ball extremely well (15 hits)!

Fike: David Gibbons (1-1 w/ home run)
    Fike: Mitchell Wheeler ( 1-3)
    Fike: Russell Ward: (1-3)
    Fike: Tripp Sauls (1-3)
    WB: Pat Kamfolt (3-3)
    WB: Ryan Hill (2-4, w/ home run)
    WB: Wally Kamfolt (2-3)
    WB: Jay Gause (2-4)
    WB: logan Tripp (2-2
    WB: Josh Powell (1-2)

West Brunswick moves on to the 4th round to battle Eastern Wayne.

3. Baylee Duckdog

Baylee Duckdog Full Access Member

AK 6, Providence 5

Epic game - electric atmosphere

Last out: A-wood on the bump, Richie in the box....a big K and AK wins coming back from a 5-0 deficit.

AK 6 runs on 12 hits with 4 errors
    Providence 5 runs on 4 hits with no errors

Jordan Fuller looked very impressive for the Panthers.

Two webgem catches from each team's right fielder...Panther Brett Austin lays out in the bullpen for a diving catch early in the game. Knight's Zico Pasut hits the afterburners and catches Austin's shot for out two in the bottom of the 7th.

You can't write fiction this good...everyone got their $5 worth!!!!

4. PlayLaughLive

PlayLaughLive Play the Game

Wilmington Star Article on Rose vs. Laney

Greenville Rose comes back to stop Ferrell, Laney

By Rachel George
    [email protected]

Published: Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 9:43 p.m.
    Last Modified: Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 9:43 p.m. GREENVILLE |

Laney’s Jeff Ferrell struck out eight Greenville Rose batters, six of them looking. But Ferrell and the Bucs will be haunted by two pitches that brought their school-record season to an end.

Related Links:

External Links:
    Chase McDonald hit two home runs for Rose as the Rampants came from behind to beat Laney 4-2 in the third round of the playoffs at Guy Smith Stadium.
    “I just hung them the curveballs and he was sitting on it and mashed it, and that was our season basically,” said Ferrell, who took his first loss of the year. “I thought if we just got past that (sixth) inning we would be all right, but I left a few pitches up and they capitalized on it.
    “It’s real tough. I had my stuff all night. I just threw two pitches and that cost me the game. It’s never good when that happens.”
    The Bucs, ranked second in the latest IMPACT Baseball poll, finish the season at 23-3, the best ever season for the school. First-ranked Rose (22-2), the defending state champion, will face the winner of Hoggard-Scotland County.
    The difference between the state’s top two teams on Thursday was small. Laney led 2-0 after three innings as Luke Tendler drove in both runs. Ferrell was in control and the defense had played error-free until that point.
    But McDonald hit a solo home run to lead off the fourth to get Rose on the board. Rampants pitcher Tanner Merritt struck out three over the next two innings before Rose scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth.
    Patrick Roy hit a leadoff single before McDonald’s second bomb tied it. Kleat Norris got on with a single before a throwing error on Jason Sugg’s bunt single gave Rose the lead
    “It was a great Laney team with a great pitcher. That guy is really good,” said Rose coach Ronald “RV” Vincent. “When you got two great teams in a single-elimination tournament, it’s one pitch or one error or whatever and you’re home. Tough way to make a living. Fortunately, we came out ahead tonight.”
    Ferrell, batting .196 coming into the game, hit a two-out double to the left field wall in the top of the seventh, but Merritt got the final batter to strike out swinging and end Laney’s season.
    While the school record is nice, and the players said they’d appreciate it more in the future, the disappointment of this loss was clear from their frustration and tears.
    “It shows just the minor differences, like coming up with big, key hits and making good decisions on the base paths,” said catcher Bob Hiatt. “It’s just the little stuff really.
    “I’d have rather been right at .500 and barely squeak into the playoffs and win a state championship, to be totally honest. That means something that it’s in the record books, but it doesn’t mean really anything unless you finish the job and we didn’t really finish the job.”
    The loss ends the careers of five seniors – Ferrell, Hiatt, Justin Somers, Nick Campbell and Danny Lorenzini. Ferrell, Hiatt and Somers have been on the varsity for three years. This year, Ferrell and Somers were 9-1 and 10-2, respectively, and their graduation will deplete the Laney bullpen.
    “It’s been fun. It’s been rewarding for me to see how they do respond in different situations, how well we play the game of baseball,” said coach Vern Barker. “I give them all the credit in the world because they had to go out and perform in tough situations and the majority of the time we came out on top. It’s just a shame it had to end tonight.”
    Rachel George: 343-2261
    On Twitter.com: @StarNewsVarsity
    Box scores
    Greenville Rose 4, Laney 2
    At Rose
    Laney 101 000 0 – 2 7 1
    Rose 000 103 x – 4 7 2
    WP: Tanner Merritt. LP: Jeff Ferrell (6-1). 2B: L – Ferrell. R – Preston Mobley, Tommy Houmard. HR: R – Chase McDonald 2.
    Leading hitters: L – Ferrell and Ryan LaGrange went 2-for-3. Luke Tendler drove in both runs. R – McDonald went 2-3 with two home runs.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  5. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  6. Coach F3

Coach F3 Coach F3

Congratulations to Webb

Webb took South Granville's best shot tonight in an electric atmosphere and took the lead for the first time on the last pitch of the game in the 8th. What a gutty performance by both teams. Both squads were cinderellas in a sense, SG upsetting two higher seeds to advance to the 3rd round and Webb making its deepest run in many years. Neither team deserved to lose, but only one can advance, so SG wishes the Warriors well the rest of the way. Coach Tate has done a fantastic job turning Webb's program into a power in a short span. I agree, Jeff, that was the biggest battle of our many memorable games over the years, and thanks for your kind words.

7. Piratefan18

Piratefan18 Full Access Member

Sanderson’s big inning was the fourth. 2B Robert Brunson led off and reached on an error. P Wolfe reached with a single and C Max Gagnon walked on four straight balls. With bases loaded and no outs, CF Kyle Wood ball to the outfield became a two run error and brought in the game winning run, scoring 2B Brunson and P Wolfe. C Gagnon then scored on a PB. CF Wood scored on freshman 3B Daniel Adams (you will be hearing more about him the next three years so come on out and see him) sac fly to RF.

WP Charles Wolfe, CG, 3 K’s, one hit, no walks and 1 earned run. In three playoff games Sanderson’s starting pitchers, Wolfe (2) and Gagnon (1), have 3 CG’s. In 21 innings they have allowed 1 earned run and issued only 2 walks. The defense behind them have stepped it up in the playoffs.

Sanderson batters -- P Wolfe (2-3, W, run), 3B Daniel Adams (1-1, HBP, sac, rbi), 1B John McFarling (1-3), 2B Robert Brunson (1-4, run), C Gagnon (0-1, 3 walks, run), SS Kyle Wigmore (0-2, 2 walks) and CF Wood (0-4, rbi, run).

JM15 I did not see you at the game. Hope to see you at Millbrook Tuesday night.

8. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Yeah some last minute plans came up and I couldn't make it out there on Friday. I've gotta work all next week, so how about ya'll just keep winnin' and I'll catch ya'll down the road.

9. catcher10

catcher10 Full Access Member

Mr. Poarch was definitely dealing last night. He had exceptional control of all three pitches and Butler could not mount any type of offensive attack. Patrick McMahon pitched very well, scattering SC hits and working out of trouble several times with Butler's solid defensive play. Congrats to South Caldwell on the impressive win and Good Luck next Tuesday.

After dedicating their season to Emily Rose (senior classmate who passed away from Leukemia last December) and many thinking that Butler would finish at or near the bottom of the SW4A; I think the boys would have made Emily happy. Only losing 5 seniors, Butler should be a team to watch next year.

10. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Kevin Ferrell & Jeff Tate....

Excellent Coaches
    Kids always play hard!!
    But most importantly!! GREAT FRIENDS!!

Keep it uP!!