1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Stirrups???

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Do you guys remember them? It is making a comeback...sanitary hose and all.
    For those that used them, did you alter them?

For those that have not used or seen them, any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Stretchlon

Stretchlon Stars

Nylons are the style

Does this mean the Joe Namath pantyhose will also come back?

3. Braves

oops...did they go away?

4. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

I hated them

The hose would wear out very easily and the worse thing was the stirrup would come up behind your heel at times and they were annoying to me. It was just another piece of something to have to keep up with imo. I like the solid sock a whole lot better. But thats just me.

5. fcpirate

fcpirate Full Access Member

My high school coach had very strict rules about the height of the stirrup. It could not show in the back but had to show in the front, at least 2 inches.

Agree with Coach 27, hated the hose- like solid color much better.

6. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

They did create some funny sights though

The stirrup hanging out of the back of a cleat. The hose coming down and falling beneath the stirrup. Or the kid that forgot his hose and wore the stirrups without the hose underneath them. Yeah those were the days. Do any of you guys remember the uniforms from your youth playing days? How about the wool uniforms? Those suckers were so hot it was ridiculous. The cotton sleeves that came down to your elbows? The sleeve was the color of the trim in your uniform and the rest was white. And the belt loops were a trip. These guys today have no idea how good they have it.

7. PhillyDave

PhillyDave Senior Member

Word has it (you know how things can change) that SM will be wearing the stirrups this coming season.

I'm so old school, that I actually wore them when I played Little League. Jamie Moyer of the Phillies still wears them when he pitches. Personally, I like the look of stirrups but really didn't like wearing them much. When they came out with socks that looked like stirrups, well, that was like a whole new world opened up! Again......OLD SCHOOL!

8. Braves

The funny thing about the wool jerseys, they would last for years. I believe I wore one belonging to Two-Ton Tony Gagliardi class of the original '08. I liked them for two reasons:

- They were the only one's we knew
    - It looked like the Yankee uni's (pin stripe)

I still like the old Pirate's and Red's sleeveless look...but the wool jersey's? Good thing the person that invented those have long since passed away or they would be sued....oh, and don't forget the wool hats. You know, the one's you would put baseball cards in to keep the front crown. Those suckers were HOT!!! literally!!!!

9. Kevin11

Kevin11 Full Access Member

stirrups!

I remember the days of stretching the stirrups so that all you had was a single strap running up your leg, and the pants had to be folded just right so that the stirrup wouldn't get slack and stayed tight. I also remember having 1 pair of cleats in high school that started as my football cleats, but doubled as my baseball cleats. Now kids have a pair to pitch in and another to play a position in, plus practice cleats and turfs..........well you get the point!

Never had much experience with wool uniforms, ours were always some type of polyester blend with iron on numbers. I was not the sharpest tool in the shed, and it took me forever to understand why people wore t shirts under their uniforms until after a few games in high school my chest was rubbed raw and burned for weeks.

You are right, our kids have no idea how good they have it, Eastbay.....Baseball express? Heck, my glove that I used in LL and HS and men's softball was bought at our local sporting goods store, "The Army Store" and if they didn't have it, you didn't get it.

10. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Anybody else ever use rubber bands at the top of the sanitary and the stirrups? You folded both over the rubber band and those suckers were there to stay.