1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Stirrups???

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Yep...that would be me.

I was like Kevin. I would streeeeetch them as far as they would go. I remember one time I could not find my sani's and had to wear...well, I'm not tellin' what I wore.

2. throwheat22

throwheat22 Full Access Member

I remember playing against Clemson back in 79 and thinking those guys were wearing pj's...but geez they looked comfortable. I've tried it all, rubberbands, folding the pants leg over, garter belts ... and I've always thought of myself as old school...but stirrups suck.

3. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

In my days....

....the stirrups were stretched up to your knee cap...they made us look faster!??? Fishman.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

That's right.....but in dback's case, he would have to wear them up to his waist. Heck, he wore white shoes for the same reason (and this was before the A's made them popular.)

5. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

shoes

cleats back in the day had to be Spotbilt. remember?, with the tan flip-over tongue?. And our coach made sure you used only black laces. and he preferred that your shoes were shined for games!!

6. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

My dad coached HS ball when I was growing up and I vaguely remember his pitchers wearing a metal over over the toe of one of their shoes to keep them from wearing out. Anybody remember this?

7. Kevin11

Kevin11 Full Access Member

Spotbilt!

My first pair was when I played youth football, I had a pair of spotbilt............."JUICEMOBILE'S" The orange bottoms on those were the coolest thing ever. I still have OJ's football card that came with those shoes in my collection.

Did anybody else take their father's golf glove out of his bag, and use it for your batting glove? My dad cussed me and beat me to no end for that one. Who knew that glove was so important to his golf game. Heck my cleats were multi sport, why not his glove?

Another thing that kills me was the bats! We had the same one for all 4 years while I was in HS, a team bat that got swung by everybody, every game, every practice and to this day could still drive spikes and suffer no damage and still have pop!

8. Toomy B

Toomy B Junior Member

Good old days

Boy, you guys are bringing back some good memories. I remember the Spotbilt shoes,the 3/4 length shirts, one team bat in high school (old Easton silver bat), and the stirrups. Even playing college ball the coach loved the stirrups. Like an earlier reply he had his rules on how a rule on how they to be worn. I used the rubber bands to keep them up also. I even used Duct tape ( or any kind of tape) to keep them on my feet instead of them sliding off my feet on to my leg. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

9. PhillyDave

PhillyDave Senior Member

Man O Man, this is really old school. They were leather with the steel frame around the toe! Wow, I had forgotten about those things In fact I had one, if I didn't I would go through a pair of shoes before the summer was out. My Mom and Dad weren't happy about having to purchase another pair of shoes to finish out the season!

10. Bingle

Bingle Junior Member

These have been some great post to read! I remember my Dad taking me to a store and letting me pick out an Al Kaline glove by Spaulding. The price was $7.98 and it was a nice glove! Also remember a local radio station sponsoring our little league team with some pretty nice uniforms. Our team was not very good be we were impressed that the local radio station would sponsor us. A lot of good memories!