1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Subsidizing coach's salaries?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by EastOfRaleigh, Sep 13, 2006.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

I'll put this as a baseball thread, but it could be asked for any sport.

Are there any public high schools in NC that subsidize a coach's salary through booster funds or any other outside / non-traditional means? I had never heard of that in NC; another poster mentioned that apparently it may very well go on in other states; he mentioned it for the Hoover HS football coach in Alabama that is paid a $94,000 salary. This is the coach on the MTV show called "two-a-days" that maybe some of you have seen or heard about.

Not sure if this would even be legal in NC HS athletics. Then maybe I am just naive and not aware of what goes on!!
    Just sounds like this type of extra funding could get really really sleezy and messy (obvious example parent gives "special" large donation to salary fund, but expects more PT for their child in return.... that sort of thing??).

Just wondering and the previous post struck a nerve on this topic.

2. EastOfRaleigh

sorry

did not mean to duplicate this post. sorry. pushed a key wrong accidentally.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

In SC it can happen. John McKissick @ Summerville (the winningest HS football coach in the country) has done very well financially.

4. EastOfRaleigh

what in NC?

braves , are you saying in NC it cannot happen?

5. Braves

To my knowledge, no outside salaries (like Booster Clubs) are allowed. There are other ways that allow coaches to make extra monies (like maintaining the fields,etc...).

The coaching stipends are different in each county, but booster club supplements for salaries are not allowed.

6. EastOfRaleigh

Thanks

Thanks, Braves. I certainly think it's best if outside / booster club salary additions are not permitted; can you imagine the conflicts that could invade?

If not allowed in NC, wonder if that's because of NCHSAA regulations or State Dept. of Education rules, or other mandate?

7. Braves

Hmm...I better let the coaches answer this. I know you always here rumors about things like property bought cheaply and other funny stuff, but to my knowledge they are just rumors...nothing proven.

8. twig

twig Junior Member

I believe the Piedmont(Union County) booster club built a house for Rusty Jester to get him to come there from Independence a while back.

9. EastOfRaleigh

know what ya meant

at locations that allow extra $$ for maintaining the fields, that is great; but I think that at most NC HS's, it is probably not the case. comments from coaches on this?

but thanks Braves; know what you meant.

10. neckball

neckball Full Access Member

Going back to my days of being a high school booster club president (my son graduated in 1997) it was not allowed in the Char-Meck school system. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. We gave a volunteer assistant $500 one year, this guy was not on staff at the school as a teacher, totally volunteered his time.

At a football game in Anson County during the same time period a booster club member told me that they supplemented the football coaching staff $20-25,000 annually.