1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

SUMMER BASEBALL FOR COLLEGE PLAYERS

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by BBISMYLIFE, Jan 5, 2011.

1. BBISMYLIFE

BBISMYLIFE Junior Member

My son is currently a freshman college baseball player. He is trying to find some where to play baseball this summer. I would appreciate any information you could give me about who he could contact to find a place to play. He is too old to play legion baseball this summer. Thanks!!

2. 33414boys

33414boys Junior Member

Have your son consult his college baseball coach, he will work to help
    place him in a summer college leauge [ i.e. cape cod, coastal plains, etc...

3. Ballfan

Ballfan Full Access Member

What division school is he at? One time I know is good for college players is the Kernersville Bulldogs.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

There are 5,237 baseball scholarships at the D1 & D2...never mind the other players participating from D3, JUCO and NAIA.

Unfortunately, there are only around 2,000 positions open for summer college teams. This is why it's important that college coaches must make the contacts and have a relationship with the GM's of the summer leagues. There are far too many players available than opportunities and it's getting even more crowded.

Also, it's why I ask that everybody support the SCBL and CPL leagues. These are terrific summer college leagues in our backyards. Unless your son is going to Cape Cod, there is no other reason to play in any other particular league. To make your son travel to Canada, Alaska, the Great North or some other remote region from NC makes very little sense. You will rarely get to see them play; it provides no additional exposure and it robs them of their whole summer. I understand in the past why kids went all over the US to play summer ball; there were very few opportunities and most existed outside of our region. Forest City in the CPL league was the #1 ranked summer team in the country two years ago..and the team was loaded with NC players. The SCBL is one of only 8 leagues supported by MLB. The talent level in the past few years has exploded...and it will become even more difficult to gain access to these teams. The good news is they expanded with 2 additional teams.

Unfortunately, if one's son has not been placed by his college coach, his chances of playing summer college is remote. Most GM's (they are too busy) won't return calls to college coaches, much less taking calls from parents.

To give you an idea, last year we had over 300 recommended players from coaches...and only 30 positions available.

5. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

While many summer team rosters may already seem full, you should be aware that many of them get shaken up some at the end of the school year. Summer school, the draft, injuries, etc. invariably strike most teams' rosters.

The advice to work through one's college coaches is excellent. Many of them are networked with teams in a variety of leagues. If your son is among those who isn't placed yet, make sure that he talks with his coaches and has them on the lookout for a spot when one opens up.

To those players who are going through the recruiting process: Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out how involved the coaches at programs of interest are in placing their players on summer teams?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  6. Braves

Excellent point, Prep. Teams lose players due to a variety of reasons: Injuries, grades, chose another league, etc. It's also why all of the teams have a waiting list to fill those players. I never realized how difficult it can be to join a team, until I was involved with one. Coaches all across the country are sending you names of players they are wanting to place. So it takes some time to develop a trust with which coaches you believe in.

Of course, the players in NC are one's we have seen and have an idea of their talents. But I am pleasantly surprised at the pockets of talent in the North and Midwest. Many of those players have flown under the radar and when you discover one of those gems...well, you go back looking for more.

I've been familiar with summer college baseball for 7 years now and the talent level has increased each year; lending itself to be more competitive for the players to find teams. It was not that long ago that a college player would not get selected to play in Cape Cod or the Valley, etc... and would proclaim, "I'll just plain in the CPL or SCBL." Not anymore. College coaches have to "sell" the talent of their players to those leagues. The interesting fact that is occurring (not necessarily a good one) are the leagues I mentioned are now getting inundated with D1 players. Some of these teams are gathering bigger crowds than what they play in front of with their schools. They are having a blast! The fallout from this is the reduction of opportunities for the D2, D3 and NAIA players.

I remember 2 years ago having a conversation with a big name school coach. I was selling him on the idea of sending some of his players to us and what the benefits would be to do so. His response was cool and somewhat aloof. He must have felt it was a step down for his players to play in our league. This past fall the same coach called me asking if the roster was full and could he place a couple of his players. He had "heard" how successful the Statesville Owls were and wanted to be a part of it.

That's what I mean about the landscape changing in the summer leagues. Just as the quantity of talented players have increased in our state, those quantities have forced the opportunities to lessen.

7. infieldfly

infieldfly Full Access Member

With all due respect, it would be immensely more impactful if posts like this were made by the young man instead of one of his parents. Let's face it; these players need to show some interest and persistence in pursuing their own future. When they do this, they grow tremendously.
    Thanks,

iff

8. BBISMYLIFE

BBISMYLIFE Junior Member

With all due respect, my son is very involved with trying to find somewhere to play this summer. He has made numerous phone calls and sent e-mails to coaches and teams. And his college coach is making phone calls. As far as I know my son does not ever look at this site. I use it to gain more knowledge about what is going on with baseball. I was hoping that I would get some helpful information that I could give to my son to pursue. I am shocked by your response. I would like to thank those of you that have given me some good advice.

9. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Braves,

It's very good to know that the coach you mention now gives a "hoot!"

(Sorry. Just couldn't pass it up!)

10. Braves

:N1Lol16: