1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Sunday mornings...

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by catcoach, Feb 9, 2012.

1. xpectus6

xpectus6 Full Access Member

If you really want to make it to church, you can make the time, even with a showcase schedule.

Perhaps my church just provides more opportunities, but showcase season rarely interfered with church attendance. We have a 7am mass, which my family went to a few times to ensure I made it to church and my game.

2. go3

go3 Member

Question: Simply, why is it that travel/showcase has to play/start/tryout/do (whatever) on Sunday before 1:00?

Because for the VAST majority of people, it is simply not a problem.

Thankfully, the VAST majority of people do not share your religious views.

Those that do may be confident enough to know missing church on Sunday morning to spend time with their sons, daughters and spouses at the ball field does not hinder, alter or diminish their faith.

I've said many times, if coaching/watching my son play baseball on Sunday, with my wife and family along for the ride, sends me to hell, than I'll be happy to go.

3. catcoach

catcoach Full Access Member

First, I really don't see myself as the pompus religious type.
    As I first stated, I don't even like the term religion.
    I have a relationship with a savior who died for me - though I sure didn't deserve it. I hope - truly hope - that what I have with and in Him doesn't come across as a checklist of does and don'ts... like I'm some "goody two-shoes" pointing my finger. I promise I don't intend that.

That said, I can't see how anyone who realizes what Christ has done, and who says they follow Him, could even jokingly say they would be "happy to go to hell..." I would tremble - literally tremble - to think (even worse to me) that my children might follow there.

Further, for the record, I personally am never worried about what "the majority" is in favor of. I am concerned about what One thinks... One who I truly believe I will stand in front of some day. I am concerned about whether He will say "well done. Enter in." It would righteously terrrify me that I could hear Him say," I never knew you." That One... Jesus.

I wish all of you the best. I hope you have great joy with and in this wonderful game that God has given us. And, by the way, I am one of those "nuts" who thinks He cares about me and my involvement in this game; because He cares about me... dearly.

Have a great season... unless or until you meet the Bobcats!
    :51:

In Christ and baseball,
    Coach John Fowler / Glenn High
    Proverbs 27:17

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. gkg

gkg Full Access Member

Perspective changes as I get older and as my son gets older

My perspective on things continue to change as I get older and as my son gets older. A couple of things:

In previous years, I was interested in him participating in playing baseball. As he is getting closer to graduating from college, I am more concerned with him having the best school resume he can have so he can be successful in getting a job and having a successful career for the next 35 to 40 years.

As I get older and the years seem to continue to go by faster each year, I realize how short time on earth is and what is important.

Good luck this season coach.

5. weyco2000

weyco2000 Full Access Member

I made sacrafices to allow my son to play because of love. What ones definition of "church" means to one doesn't mean the world shuts down until 1:00 pm on Sundays, I mean really dont church going people stop for gas or go get breakfast on their way to church? What about those poor souls servicing their needs... does anyone question why they're working? How about policemen, firefighters, doctors... ect.
    Church is a place in your heart and like others have said, a team prayer means more to a kid than sitting through a sermon most dont even understand.
    Most tournaments these days dont have Friday night games, because of school and travel expenses, so its 2 games on Saturday. So if your age division has 6 teams that are split into 2 pools and every tourney has a 3 game guaranteed minimum, then it takes all day Sunday to make it work. Otherwise you may have all six teams tied at 1-1 and the champion decided by the least runs allowed, its happened due to weather and the coaches understand. However a few teams have lost 2 on Saturday and won 3 and the tournament on Sunday, which is miracle in itself to beat a #2 seed and then probably 2 #1 seeds.
    Its a personal choice and if someone sees it as wrong thats fine, just dont allow your kids to play. Most kids out playing baseball on Sundays end up just fine because they were at baseball practice all week and keeping out of trouble.

6. weyco2000

weyco2000 Full Access Member

Sure it does because the best on your team and those mentioned on the teams you scheduled played on a Sunday and I'll guarantee that... Leave the parenting up to us parents and we shall decide what our kids do on the weekend. You know not the place for this....