1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Support John Spencer

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by MustangBBall#1, May 30, 2009.

1. MustangBBall#1

MustangBBall#1 Member

For those of you that have not heard, the Myers park baseball coach, John Spencer, was cut in the latest round of CMS layoffs this week.

In his first year as coach, he has been a fantastic mentor and coach for these young men and made Myers Park baseball competitive again.

Now is the time he needs your support.

Please send emails directly to Peter Gorman, the superintendent of CMS, telling him how big a mistake this is and ask him to change this decision. Here is Peter Gorman's email address:

[email protected]

2. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

Can anyone figure this type of stuff? BS! However, it is NOT Gorman it for sure was the Principal's decision and his ALONE. Just goes to show you from who and where the support does and doesn t come from Correct, Athletci Director.... Typical!

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Normally, I agree with you "O", but this is a weird and tragic situation. The AD loves the coach, and rightfully so. Coach Spencer has done a terrific job.

From what little I understand, his position at school was wiped out by budget cuts and there were no alternative for any another position. I have no insight in the behind the scene actions, but this was not about personality clashes or anything like that...he was well liked and respected.

4. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Budget Cuts all over the place...

With all of this going on, ALL school systems are losing quality people, and in many cases coaches. Some people are being lost to the RIF (Reduction In Force) policy. Generally speaking, if a teacher does not have tenure (career-status), then they have no guarantee of a job. One way to do this, when all things are equal, are to fire the last hired. (last hired, first fired) Many of these are coming from County Central Office and principals may not have much say...

In our county, there are choices that will be made, hopefully it doesn't affect us, but it very well could. It could affect programs all over the state.

What a travesty...

5. hititfar

hititfar Full Access Member

Tough for everyone

Hopewell lost its softball coach, East Meck lost its AD. Hate to see this but everyone is getting pinched. Too bad for the kids.

6. TheOriole

Regardlesss these people work DOUBLE the hours as most classroom teachers and they are doing this as well..... for basically little to no pay and the Principal is the one who can or cannot make the call... I have to disagree Steve on the Prinicipal's role however... The Super is the one who is supposed to support the decisions of the building level administrators... It is the P who can make a recommendation(s) to determine who leaves and stays. I may be wrong but I do not think I am. I has RIFTED as well back in 96 after busting my ass to create a BB program that basically was pathetic. I stepped on too many toes, was askedd to compromise my grades and pass kids who didn t deserve it and I told them hell no, and on top of that pissed the ALMIGHTY football coach off so for taking my BB field back in which I had totally rebuilt...they used these to determine I would be the one who would go when there were three other teachers who had just been on their first year... At that time I had 8 eyars of exp both classroom and fields.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  7. coachevans26

Really sorry to hear that O. I do know of circumstances where simimliar has happened. I would hope that what a perosn ads to the total school may be considered. In our county the Central Office has a big say with who stays and goes.

8. TheOriole

You're right as well Coach we are all (most all) just pawns in the chess game of life!:veryangry2:

9. coachevans26

Agreed O!!

10. AREAFAN

AREAFAN Junior Member

John Spencer is a stand up guy who knows baseball. Hopefull they will find a way to keep him on as coach, but who knows because it's all about the economy.