1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Suspended for being a good coach!!!

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by genuinepimpjuice, Apr 26, 2005.

Should Monte Sherrill have been suspended for 2 games???

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. No

65 vote(s)
    61.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

I'll say it again, it's not Central Cabarrus' resposibility to stop Central Cabarrus. It's the other team's defense that is responsible for stopping them.

Recently West Forsyth defeated a team 41-0 in 3 innings.. In this game, the WF coach offered to end the game after 2 innings (28-0), but the other coach wanted to keep playing. After the first innning, WF did not steal, advance on passed or overthrown balls and only took one base on any extra base hit. No matter what the situation, you can never tell your players not to play their best every time they step on the field.

In my opinion CC and Coach Sherrill did nothing wrong and every team should play their hardest all the time. There are mercy rules already in place to prevent lopsided games from continuing, so as long as a team is playing within the rules, no one should complain.

2. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

to me, its just Unbelievable!!

3. Archangel

Archangel The Director

Bad sign for sportsmanship?

Cabarrus coach's suspension after 55-0 win prompts debate

SCOTT DODD

Staff Writer

Sherrill had defenders Tuesday among radio station callers and local online message boards. One poster in the high school softball forum at This Board Rocks.com said Sherrill "should not be punished for being a good coach with the desire to win."

4. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

What I find interesting in the debate is that Central waited until they had finished play Hopewell and North Meck before instituting the suspension.

It's a very hollow punishment if you are letting the next opponent determine whether or not to implement any penalty.

If they are arguing sportsmanship, then the A.D. at Central needs to take a bow too. He's obviously punishing according to the schedule.

Should Sherrill have been suspended? I don't know, I wasn't there. But, if the penalty was bad enough to warrant punishment, then they shouldn't have used the schedule as a guideline before implementing it.

The entire topic is bogus. There isn't any punishment going on, only appeasment for West Charlotte.

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I find it preposterous to suspend a coach for their team being dominating. I like that posted quote by Lou Holtz, "I can't coach both teams."

I know Coach Sherrill and his wife read our board. Instead of a "two sentence blurb" in the newspaper, he could explain in an unedited thread, his views on the whole thing. We could lock it after his response to refrain from attacks (not that there would be any). Anyway, I don't have a problem with what his team accomplished. No team should have to make a mockery of the game by intentionally making outs. I know, as a player, I would be more upset that the team I was playing was taking mercy on me. If HS AD's don't like it...then change the mercy rule.

6. im4unc

im4unc Junior Member

It is ridiculous to suspend cc coach Sherrill for doing his job, he was hired to win not to lose. Whats he supposed to do teach the girls not to play hard and win. Sounds like he is an excellent coach with a desire to win according to his 441-43 record. Quit whining and let the coach do the job he was hired to do.

PLAY BALL GO CC!!!!!!:agreed:

7. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

excellent idea.....Monte, respond here and we'll lock the thread!

8. sportsman2444

sportsman2444 sportsman2444

What??? I can't believe this! Getting Suspended for Coaching!

Coach Sherrill is a great coach, you can see that with his statistics. I agree Sherrill,with his decision in the game; you play your best no matter what circumstances. What do you do, tell your player go strike-out? Sherrill is being punished for the crime of being a great coach, and that is wrong!

9. meckfan

meckfan Junior Member

The main concern the Athletic Directors at schools that are consistently run-ruled in three innings like West Charlotte, Garinger and others should have is for their teams safety. I think the main problem with these teams is that eventually one of their girls is going to catch a line drive in the face because of inexperienced players and inexperienced coaches. There is not another girls sport where the danger of serious injury is so apparent. There should be a minimum level of competency for the coaches/players so that they are not set up for failure or serious injury. I don't want to discourage the efforts to field a team but play a schedule that suits the level of players you have until you are able be somewhat representative. If you think these mismatches are not going to cause injury at some point you are mistaken. That is the main argument I have against letting Division 1 college level players hit against what amounts to a bad rec ball pitcher after the game has been decided. I would be more concerned for their safety than their egos.

10. CATFISH

CATFISH Junior Member

meckfan,

I agree totally with your concern of injury. West Charlotte should hire a AD and Coach who can at least display the ability to displine and Coach a team. Until this requirement is meet they should forfiet all games in which the girls safety is at risk. Don't ask a Coach to limit his girls talent in order to make a mockery of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.