1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Suspended for being a good coach!!!

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by genuinepimpjuice, Apr 26, 2005.

Should Monte Sherrill have been suspended for 2 games???

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. No

65 vote(s)
    61.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCFASTPITCH

CCFASTPITCH Central FASTPITCH

Email from West Charlotte A.D. to parent

Ms. DDDDD,
    Obviously you are missing the point about the the situation involving
    Central Cabarrus and their softball coach. The score was 45-0 and they
    were still stealing bases at every opportunity.Central stole 6 bases total, 5 of them in the 1st cycle in the 1st inning. The second being early in the 2nd cycle.
    They took extra bases on every passed ball. [I]Central moved up on 4 balls in the second inning-total .[/I]
    If you have ever coached athletics you would understand that doing these things is unacceptable. If a team is scoring by hitting the ball, that's one thing, but to steal and take extra bases is totally not acceptable. Their reserve players did not play, they continued to play with starters. If your daughter was a reserve on that team, how would you feel if you were winning 45-0 and she is stillsitting on the bench? Not to good.
    Central only took 10 players to the game, all started and all played. The JV's played a DH at home wit hthe other 12 players.
    Thanks for your concern,

Coach Guylitto

[email protected],

2. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

i had a few question for that person, listed as Coach and invited him to TBR to address them!

3. softballrulez

softballrulez Junior Member

softballrulez

I coach at I/L high school.My opinion is that the coach at CC shouldn't have been suspended.We played a team the other day and the score ended 35-0. We held runners,didn't steal,but you can't do that when they hit.And we played all 15 players.CC is one fine team and they have great coaches.I know because we played against them in the Lexington tourn.,losing 2-0.This is the most outrageous thing i've ever heard of!Next thing you know you want be able to score more than 10 runs per inning so the other teams feelings doesn't get hurt.Deal with it!If you want to play then pratice.If you want to win pratice harder!Thats what CC and I/L does.

4. prklandsoftballdad

prklandsoftballdad Set my brother FREE!!

First off the very idea that coach sherill is being suspended is ridiculous. all of this comes from our socities inability to deal with anything that MAY cause one of our children some sort of distress. i'm all for protecting our kids but come on they have to live life to be prepared for it. I have coached at the local little league complex and two years ago we worked out an agreement to inter league with some other leagues. With one of the rules being that you can score no more than six runs an inning. these other leagues would not play with us if we did not adhere to this rule. now what are we teaching our kids by telling them you don't have to perform to get by, someone will help you. this is one of the reasons we left little league for just travel ball. i can understand having a rule like this for 10 and unders because of the dominance of one player but even then any good coach knows their team is only as good as those kids that "aren't as good" and if their coach is worth their grain in salt he/she will use the opportunity to help the other kids. unfortunately there are coaches that will take advantage of a lesser team, but from what i know coach sherill is not one and he should be credited for developing such a good organization.:bsflag:

5. CCHSvikefan81

CCHSvikefan81 Full Access Member

Heard something funny from coach Sherrll today, he said they were talking about him on the Best Damn Sports Show Period and they said he should be the offensive cordinator for South Carolina and Steve Spurrier if he can put up numbers like that. LOL

6. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

I love that show. I wish the Techno geeks around here could find it and link us to it...Not a bad idea really (offensive coordinator for the gamecocks).... :supergrin

7. Papabear

Papabear Full Access Member

Coaches Need To Take Control

Let me add my my two cents worth as a parent of three former WC student/athletes, one of whom played baseball for Coach Guylitto back before he resigned his coaching position to become the AD. Tony played college baseball at ECU and I've seen him hit on the field. He can hit. He knows all about baseball and coaching, and he's a great guy. He likes to win as much as any coach, but I remember him as being a coach who demanded good sportsmanship. He set the example for his players.

I'm not going to comment on Coach Sherrill's suspension and I'm not taking sides in the matter, but what I thought stood out in Guylitto's comments in the newspaper about the CC-WC game was that CC "continued to play aggressively" even after the game was obviously decided in the first inning. In common terms, that's what we all know as running up the score. When a game reaches that point a coach has an obligation, I believe, to take control to make the effort to slow the game down. Let's remember that the object is to just win the game. It is disturbing to read a post praising a coach who beats a team by 55 runs as one who is "just teaching his players how to win." That's not even intelligent. In recent weeks, I have watched college baseball games where a team had a 10-12 run lead late in the game. What were these coaches doing in a big lead situation? I can tell you they definitely began playing less aggessively because 1) they were not advancing runners more than one base on a hit, even if they could score a runner from second or advance a runner from first to third and 2) they were not stealing bases and 3)they weren't hitting for extra bases. It was obvious to me that the coaches were TAKING CONTROL of the game with the objective of winning without rubbing the opposing teams nose in it. And they did that. They won the game without instructing players to intentionally strike out, get picked off intentionally, etc. They just gave the other team more opportunities to get out of the inning. The winning team didn't roll over and play dead and they won by maybe 8 runs when they could have kept pouring it on and winning by a really ugly score. Game over. Put another W in the win column. That's what you call winning the game with class.

Now, how do you know when it's time to stop playing aggressively?? Ask former WC coach Tommy Knotts about the WC-Richmond County state football semi-final about 8-9 years ago....the Keith Matkins-Steve Shippe era. I'm sure he remembers that one and it's one I'll never forget. Playing at Richmond in front of at least 5,000 Richmond fans, WC has Richmond pinned to the wall 26-7 midway through the 3rd quarter. It's been all WC so far, with the Lions moving the ball up and down the field at will with their passing game. Well, old Tom thinks he's got it all sewed up and decides it's time to put it on cruise control. To make a long story short, Knotts took his team completely out of their offense by going entirely to the running game. WC started turning the ball over to Richmond on downs and they came all the way back and scored on the last play of the game to win 27-26. That's when WC learned about running up the score. If you don't believe me, check out some of the Big I football scores when Knotts coached there. And I'm sure if you check the WC sports archives, you'll find a football or basketball score just as onesided as the CC-WC softball score.

8. CCHSvikefan81

CC definately was not playing aggressive, After the first two times through the lineup there were no stolen bases and only 6 total. 7 runs were scored when the ball hit off the catcher and went out of bounds.

9. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

Just curious, but how has West Charlotte done score-wise against other teams this year? I know there are a couple of other good teams in their conference, and if they're as bad as some of you are saying they are I would think they would have gotten creamed by these other teams too.

10. CCHSvikefan81

i think at least 15-20 except for they beat Harding i believe the first time and lost the second time 15-8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.