1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

SW4A All Conference

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by gonzo, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Not trying to sound like a whiner and not to take anything away from the players whom were selected, but there were quite a few deserving players not selected.

.....I really don't like to single out and question the non selection of the players, but there is one that makes me shake my head and drop my mouth :jawomg: He was one of the leaders of his team. Always hustling on and off the field....would get dirty and fight you for that last meat on the bone...could get hurt and would continue to play even if his arm broke...would get on base any way possible by hit, HBP or walk...would slide into base headfirst, feet first or crawl....arguably the strongest arm in the infield...made countless major league plays from his position...and continued through out the season demonstating his leadership by never quitting.

...the player I am referring to is Kyle Shelton. In my opinion, the kid had a better year overall this year, then last and last year he was All Conference. I don't know his batting average this year and I don't care...this kid was one of the best leaders in our city and it is a travesty that he didn't get selected.

Okay..off my soap box.

2. phantom89

phantom89 Full Access Member

Who meant the most to their teams...on the field , in the dugout,sportsmanship, character, no trash talking to other teams, self-control, hustle ,work ethic,respect for the game of baseball. These qualities should typify the all-conference player. Some on the list have achieved these traits others have not. If I made a list I'm sure others would disagree. I hope that the guys who were omitted know that many of us who have watched you realize that you were slighted for whatever reason and continue to be proud of you! I would say use it for future motivation...lists are quickly forgotten, the manner in which you overcome adversity in life will always cause others to pay attention!!!

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This explanation fits my pick to a T!!!...particularly, "respect for the game".

4. phantom89

Amen Brother Braves!!! Even though we don't agree on color schemes...we see eye to eye on the important stuff! And also...HAPPY Father's Day to all you wonderful Baseball DADS!!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2003
  5. Gambit

Gambit Full Access Member

I'm not saying those kids aren't deserving, just a few out there who were more deserving. On to the topic of politics, that's true, some kids dads have been carrying them their entire career, getting them on teams that are widely showcased, doing whatever they have to to get their son noticed in this wide world of baseball. It's not an easy business. When and if those kids who have been carried by daddy all along get to college, he's not going to be able to be there to smooth over the coach. Those kids will be in a lot of trouble. Just a thought.

6. phantom89

I would also like to point out that some players who played on highly show-cased teams did not make the list. I don't pay a lot of attention to the daddy ball thing! All of that eventually gets ironed out anyway. If a player isn't working hard he will get left in the dust! There are just too many good, hard-working ballplayers out there.

7. Original

Original Full Access Member

Agree with you Braves. Shelton deserved it.

8. Langston Wertz Jr.

Langston Wertz Jr. Full Access Member

You guys make a lot of assumptions about what we do and how we do it. It's fine to bash me and my perceived lack of love for baseball, but don't bring race into it. That stinks. Anyhow, post your questions on this or a new thread and I'll answer, best I can.

9. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

This looks fun ... particularly since we don't play in the SW4A ...
    :D :D

keep it up Lanston.

10. Chief

Chief Braves Assistant

Let's make a new thread...this one is dead!!!