1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Talking About A Scrimmage -- Check This Out !!

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by softballrocks2, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

But Ghost !!!

You just let your kid play in a scrimmage a few weeks ago !! Which could she get hurt in the scrimmage this week or the one next week ??

Best Regards, Guru

2. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

What's The Real Issue ??

So it would be okay if it's a high school scrimmage ?? But since it's travel ball it's all wrong. Let me see my daughter can't get hurt in a high school scrimmage, but can get hurt in a travel ball scrimmage only. If we were realy concerned about our kids well-being you would have a rest period between sports....now before you write me a nasty PM think about it. The body goes from volley ball, to basketball, to softball. Ask any orthopaediatric DR is this healthy for a teenagers bones ?? Get back to me !!:MEziek:

Thanks, Guru

3. NDSB10

NDSB10 Full Access Member

As a Travel Ball Coach I may not like it But I have to agree with it Our girls at ND are on the Field late everyday. By the time they get home eat do homework its time for bed They need some time to be kids. This scrimmage looks like it will be a good one with great teams involved.Believe me we would love to have both Attitude Teams in the mix with the teams that are there. I know the Knockouts coach has contacts with College Coaches But we had a couple of coaches at our game last night.

4. sftballjunkie

sftballjunkie Full Access Member

My daughter is one of the catchers on the Knockouts, unfortunately she also was the one catching at the NSA State last summer when she was plowed over at home plate while she waited with the ball in her glove to tag the girl out at home. The other player decided not to slide but came in standing up plowing Tori over, knocking her to the ground and on her right elbow and shoulder. This was last June, we went through 1 surgery to fix her elbow which was chipped, thinking we would be back to play when school ball rolled around. Feb. 13 she and a few girls where hitting and practicing after school to get ready for tryouts the following Monday. Well, she took her turn at hitting, knocking them over the fence, and then she went to the outfield to catch up for the others that were hitting, when she threw one ball in, she heard her shoulder pop. Turns out we had to have another surgery done on her shoulder 2 weeks ago and she is out for her school ball season. Her varsity coach was not happy to say the least but we had to get it done now hoping to get her ready to play ball this summer with the knockouts! I guess I am saying yep the girls can get hurt anywhere! A player on our JV team was sliding into third base at the first game last week and hurt her knee, she is to have an MRI but they think she tore her ACL. Tori will be sitting on the bucket inside the dugout calling pitches this season, not behind the plate like she has been since her freshman year, but she will be back for her senior year if all goes well! This has devastated her, her parents and her varsity coach. Our scrimmage day is so much fun! The girls and the teams we invite always have a great time. It is a day of fellowship and ball! I do believe there will be a few college coaches there, or that is what we have been told.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  5. softball247

softball247 Full Access Member

I've discussed this before, but as one poster said earlier, if you make the girl's choose, as many HS coaches are currently doing, eventually they will choose travel ball. For softball, that has already happened in California. It happened in soccer in Ohio and I recently wrote about the article detailing those events. Does anyone really think that the same thing won't eventually happen here if players are forced to choose? It's not the early 1990's anymore. The available options that travel teams now give players are far greater and much more advantageous than they were then.

If you think that I am blowing smoke, consider this: I personally know of six separate cases where players choose to not play at the Middle School level and instead opted to practice with their travel team. I know that MS isn't HS, but there has been talk by some of these same people of skipping the HS team as well. I'm not saying that skipping the HS experience is right, but if you make someone choose, you cannot get upset if they don't choose you.

6. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

This subject comes up frequently. The intensity level of high school softball varies quite a bit from program to program. Those who play for lesser programs may benefit from weekend TB. Fear of injury on the weekend probably should not be the main focus for those stuck in such programs.

However, there are many very good programs across the state that place high demands on athletes during practice and games. If a player is fortunate enough to be in such a program, they should NOT be permitted to play both. Adequate rest (and time for study) is an essential part of the mix for athletes who practice and play intensely five days a week. Inadequate rest causes any athlete to not be able to perform continuously at their best, increases the chances of injury, and increases the time required for recovering from injuries.

7. CardCoach2

CardCoach2 Full Access Member

Comes up every year

As a HS coach and a TB coach who just happens to be involved in this scrimmage I don't see the big deal. We practice at the HS on most Saturdays, have played in two scrimmage tournaments with other HS teams, scrimmage our JVs, face live pitching, involve sliding and base running drills. Everything we do in practice has it's opportunity to hurt a player. So should we quit practicing as well?
    So why is it such a big deal when you attach the "travel ball" tag on it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  8. CardCoach2

CardCoach2 Full Access Member

BTW

The Knockouts scrimmage is a blast. Ricky goes all out to make it a very enjoyable day. This actually started as a Cardinal's/Knockout's two game scrimmage several years ago played at Forbush one year and then at SWR It has grown to include other teams. We love getting together with those who share our passion. We wouldn't miss it.

9. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

Great perspective!

10. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

...I agree with LBBfan!