1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Tarheels projected lineup

Discussion in 'The Next Level' started by 007, Jan 6, 2005.

1. 007

007 Full Access Member

Just wondering if anyone has any inside information on UNC's line-up for the 05 season. It will be interesting to see 1)if any freshmen position players will start and 2) who else will get innings on the mound after Bard and Miller. If this team can score some runs, I think Omaha is within reach.

2. sockittome16

sockittome16 Full Access Member

Woodard could get some innings. He came on strong and got more and more innings in key games. Lots of long relief appearences last year

3. 007

007 Full Access Member

UNC only has two returning .300 hitters, Jay Cox (of/c) .329 and Greg Mangum (2b) .308 and the leading returning HR hitter from 04 was Chase Younts with 4. Something tells me Coach Fox will be looking for some sticks in the freshman class, especially in the infield. It would not be out of the question to see three guys in the blue infield at the same time who were terrorizing HS pitchers just last year. Maybe Fronk at 3b, Flack at 1b, & Shelton and Horton splitting time at SS ?

The other noteworthy thing about the Tarheel 05 roster is that there are six players from Charlotte who you could very possibly see in the same game during the course of the season. Bard,Daniel,Fronk,Mangum,Shelton & Woodard. In case you are still skeptical about the quality of HS baseball in Charlotte, this ought to tell you something.

4. Coach May

Coach May Full Access Member

Look for Justin Webb to go behind the dish this year with Freshman Benji Johnson backing him up. Also look for Matt Ellington to either play in left or Dh he is really swinging the bat I hear. They are absolutely loaded on the hill. There is no doubt about the pitching they will be very strong on the hill. If they generate offense they have a legitimate shot at Omaha. I too think that Flack and Fronk will play because they can hit. They will have to get those young sticks in the line up to generate offense. UNC has tons of young talent and another great class coming in next year. They are going to be really good people.

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Horton nailed down the ss position after his first practice. Mangum 2nd and Fronk 3rd.

I agree with Coach May about Webb catching, but Benji Johnson has been swinging a big bat. OF...Jay Cox, Younts and perhaps Mike Daniel, but those guys need to hit to stay in the lineup. Ellington will definately get his bats.

Chad Flack will get an opportunity to compete for 1st.

notes: Kyle Shelton is the best fielder but must get stronger and I know he is working hard on doing that.

pitching- suffice to say, they are loaded

6. 007

007 Full Access Member

Thanks guys, that's great info !
    I counted 33 on their current roster and wonder if Coach Fox will redshirt anyone.
    The soph and frosh pitching staff reads like a Baseball America top prospect list and the position players aint too shabby either. Is it true that Scott Boras has rented an apartment in Chapel Hill, and has been seen driving around in a baby blue Hummer ?

7. Papabear

Papabear Full Access Member

What happened to Tyler White? Didn't he redshirt last year?

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Tyler decided to become a student only. No one will have to worry about him though...Tyler will be successful at whatever path he takes.

9. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Younts!!!

WILL be in the lineup regardless! He can flat out fly and play defense the best with anyoine in the country! On top of all that his work ethic and attitude are th epitome of what it is supposed to be at ANY level! :)

10. Papabear

Papabear Full Access Member

Bryan Steed

Was Bryan Steed the walk on from Georgia who worked his way into the starting lineup at 2nd last year and had a pretty good year, as I recall? Haven't heard his name mentioned. Will Mangum's move from ss to 2nd bump him as a starter? Carolina's looking at starting three freshmen in the infield with Fronk, Horton, and Flack. Any infielders with experience coming off the bench if the frosh struggle?