1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Tarheels projected lineup

Discussion in 'The Next Level' started by 007, Jan 6, 2005.

1. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Talked to an App. player last night who told me UNC is a very good team, but will be in trouble all-season if they don't get but 5 hits off of ASU.

2. 007

007 Full Access Member

JM-Yea, definitely not a good sign. The guys out of App's bullpen (Reeder,Caudill & Fish) held UNC to one hit over the last 4 innings.
    I gotta feelin that lefties will be tough on them.

3. 007

007 Full Access Member

Game 2-Bashing at the Bosh

The Tar Heels lit up Seton Hall starter Tim Sabo (and his ERA) like a Christmas tree, scoring 12 runs in two innings pitched. Four dingers for the home team in a 17-0 rout. Twenty two UNC players saw action in this one as Coach Fox played everyone except the groundskeeper. Daniel Bard picked up the win.

4. 007

007 Full Access Member

1st four games-0.00 ERA

Adam Kalkof picked up Saturday's 5-0 win for the Tar Heels third straight shutout. Robert Woodard started and gave up only 2 unearned runs in 5 1/3 innings on Sunday, but did not get the decision in the 5-2 win. The UNC bullpen has had plenty of work with the early-season low pitch counts and they have been flawless.

Coach Fox has done a great job of spreading the PT around over the first four games. Only a few players have yet to see action. Wondering what happened to former Rose standout,Brack Massey. He is no longer on the roster.

5. 007

007 Full Access Member

After a dozen games...

The Tar Heels are 9-3 after dropping three tough games at the LeClair-ECU tournament. Robert Woodard pitched 7 innings of shutout ball against Michigan on Sunday, giving up only 2 hits and zero walks, but the Tar Heels lost in the ninth.
    Josh Horton appears to have beaten out Corrado for the starting SS position and Chad Flack who has hit 2 HRs, is getting most of the PT at first base.
    Thus far, the offense is still a big question mark.

6. 007

007 Full Access Member

Let the conference games begin

UNC beat the College of Charleston to improve to 10-3. They will begin confrence play this weekend against Va. Tech. Thus far, Justin Webb and Jay Cox have been the offensive leaders for the Tar Heels. Freshman RF Seth Williams (North Henderson) went 4 3 3 3 with an HR vs CoC to raise his season average to .350.
    Kyle Shelton (South Meck) is the only other freshman who is batting over .300 with a .333 average. Shelton is being used more and more frequently as a defensive replacement at 3b and ss.
    Coach Fox unveiled a new wrinkle in UNC's lineup against CoC by putting Webb at 3B and Freshman Benji Johnson behind the plate.

7. atlheel

atlheel Hark the sound.

Not the first time, Johnson's caught a few games, and Webb played 3B for at least one of those. I only caught an inning yesterday, but it was nice to see the offense bounce back.

8. 007

007 Full Access Member

ATL-When you said you caught only one inning, I thought you were like really catching, with the tools of ignorance and all that. LOL. Since you go to all the home games, tell me something that I can't read on the UNC website write-up or boxscore...like the defense. Figured Spencer might be getting more PT at 1b. Is he hurt or is Flack just hitting better ?

9. atlheel

atlheel Hark the sound.

Well. Last full game I caught from the stands Jay Cox and Chase Younts were one-upping each other with three fantastic diving catches in right and center, respectively. Overall the defense has been very solid, I thought, although catcher is very inexperienced. Big difference not having Iannetta back there. I feel like I'm seeing more passed balls and wild pitches, though I don't have stats to back that up.

As for Spencer, I haven't heard anything since February, when a team trainer told me he would be very good and didn't mention an injury. But he's only had seven ABs, so it looks like Flack just beat him out. He's only hitting .244, but is third on the team in RBIs, so I wouldn't expect to see Spencer doing much but pinch hitting. But I'm not an expert.

10. 007

007 Full Access Member

How would you compare Horton and Shelton defensively ? I thought Shelton was the best defensive HS player that I've ever seen. Really fun to watch. The guy is electrical. Never saw Horton play.
    Also wondering about Gale,don't think he has pitched yet. Did anyone get redshirted ?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005