1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

TBR Interview----Logan Smith

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Logan Smith, Myers Park High School, State Game player. Logan is one of the best athletes in the Charlotte area. He was an outstanding QB on his HS team last year and could have gone to college in either sport. But to further prove baseball players are smarter, he chose baseball over football:) Logan comes from a family that is rich in baseball history. I caught up to Logan during a basketball game, so I could have him answer a few questions during the Holiday break.

1)Congratulations on your signing with UNC-Greensboro? Tell us about it?

I am really excited about heading up to UNC-G next year. It came down to them and a few other schools, but I just went with my gut feeling. I received a lot of good advice from former teammates, coaches and family: but in the end I had to decide where I’d be happy even if I wasn’t playing ball. Coach Gaski and his staff do a great job year in and year out and they have one of the nicest facilities around.

2)You had the opportunity to play in the 4A State Championship game. That must have been a big thrill…what was it like?

Playing in Zebulon was amazing! I was blessed to play with a great group of guys and just to have that experience, walking in there the first night, I think we all were a little amazed at how nice it was. The staff there did a great job and made it a wonderful experience. Getting there last year and coming so close to the State Championship was heartbreaking, but the guys coming back this year knows what it takes to get back. That should make us work much harder to get back to Zebulon this year.

3)Losing Robert Woodard and Rob Wilson from your HS team will be tough to replace, but you do have some strong leaders returning with yourself, Tim Kramer, JJ Rollins, Jason Kennell and co….How do you think your team will do this year?

You’re definitely not going to be able to replace Robert and Rob, but I feel confident in the guys we have coming back. We were loaded with juniors last year and have some young guys coming up that could jump in had have an impact right away. I can’t wait for this year. I think some people might be overlooking us because we lost Robert and Rob, but Coach Demming and coach Bicknell do a great job and we could surprise some people.

4)You played this summer for the Pineville legion team. A team that was extremely talented. You guys finally lost to eventual US runners up, Cherryville. Tell us about your experience with that team?

Playing for the Pineville Legion team this summer was great! I was lucky enough to be surrounded by so many great ballplayers…it made me a much better player. That team was loaded with talent and it made it much easier for me knowing anybody could step in and do a great job. Anytime you are hitting in a lineup as guys like Chris Carrara, Brett Robinson, Tyler White and Sean Snell, just to name a few, it’s pretty special. Cherryville just had our number last year, but we are going to be ready next summer. So all you guys zoned for Pineville, come out next summer..it could be something special.

5)I read a great article about you in the local paper. In it you discussed your special relationship with your Grandfather (Jack Sink), Mom and Dad (Brick Smith, an All American at Wake Forest and a professional ballplayer. For those who are not from Charlotte, can you explain your special relationship with your family?

God has blessed me with a wonderful family. My parents, grandparents and all of my extended family are extremely supportive and they are really a driving force for me. My whole family has been involved with the great game of baseball and it’s really been cool growing up learning about the game. Something that has been really cool for me is that I have been fortunate enough to play in my Grandfather’s field ( Jack Sink Park) for four years @ Myers Park. So if you are ever at a Myers Park game and see some people sitting away from everyone else or a guy standing with a little black dog..it’s probably somebody from my family.

6)Sometimes our student athletes forget that they are role models for the young guys wanting to achieve the same success. What advice would you give them?

Always bust your butt on and off the field because you never know who is watching. And lead by example. If you go out there and take fungo’s with the younger guys, they’ll learn more than if you tell them how to do it…or get on them for not doing it the right way.

7)I know that you have few “days off”, but what do you like to do on those days?

I love to sleep in, so on my days off I usually sleep in to around noon, then go lift and condition a little bit, then go hit in the cages with my buddies. No matter what, my mom always makes sure I’m home to eat one of her terrific home cooked meals.

8)Favorite food
    Fried Okra

9)Favorite movie
    Friday

10)Best player you have played with?

Robert Woodard. We’ve played together since we were five and to see how hard he has worked and his love for the game is motivation for me.

11)This does not have to be baseball related…but your most memorable experience?

My most memorable experience would have to be the last baseball season. Not just the State Championship, but winning the Conference and Conference Tournament. And our run in the playoffs was amazing. The support we got from the fans was great. We definitely have the best fans (the Pan Clan) in the State and they are already ready for next year. But more importantly, was playing with such a great group of guys and the time we spent together. That was by far the best “team” I have ever played on.

Wow...what a well thought interview! It's obvious to me that Logan has his Dad's talent and his Mom's intelligence :) Logan truly is one of Charlotte's most talented athletes we have ever had. He has been a joy to watch all these years and I am looking forward to his great success up in Greensboro.

Thank you Brick and Brenda Smith for sharing Logan with our members across the state. You guys have done a magnificient job in raising such a quality young man

Last edited: Jan 4, 2004
  2. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

Another great interview with another great HS baseball player in NC. Man. I love these intrviews, keep 'em coming Braves.

I was lucky enough to see Logan play both in the State Games and The East Coast Professional this past summer. I can honestly say that Braves comments about this young man are right on the money.

Good luck Logan, both this HS season and in the many seasons to come.

3. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

You guys have outdone yourselves with your choices of players to be interviewed!

In addition to being a talented player and leader, I hear he's virtually a straight-A student at one of the state's toughest high schools, academically.

Congrats to Logan and his family!!

4. ClamMan0

ClamMan0 Junior Member

Myth

Logan "The Myth" Smith is quite a ballplayer. He also has one of the great nicknames of all time.

5. Braves

:xyzthumbs

6. Braves

Baseball's royalty