1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

TBR Interview- Monte Sherrill

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Braves, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

For Our New Members that didn't see this interview

I have been wanting to do this on the Softball Forum for a long time. I could not think of anyone that I would like to have as our first interview more than Monte Sherrill. I hope we can do more in the future. I asked Coach Sherrill many questions and I hoped he would tackle them with the same aggressiveness he displays on the field....he did not disappoint. He has passion, compassion, devotion and commitment to his players and to his team. I hope our TBR members that do not know Coach Sherrill will have a better understanding of him and his program after reading his interview. I would like everyone to keep in mind while reading this that Monte Sherrill is an extremely religious man.

Here you go:

I know you have a HOF record, but could you list your coaching career experience

1989 – 2002 Alexander Central Varsity Softball-Head Coach – 4 State AAAA Titles
    2004 - 2006 Central Cabarrus- 2004 & 2005 State AAAA Champs

2005/2006 National HS Coach of the Year - NFCA
    Overall Record 504-45 (.917%) (as of 4/28/07)
    Recognized by the NFHS as highest active winning percentage in the nation.

1991, 1993, 1995, 1996, 2004, 2005 State AAAA Champions.
    1999, 2000, 2001 State Finals
    8 of the last 12 teams have been in the State Finals
    1998, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Nationally Ranked in NFCA H.S. Poll

Ranked No#1 in the Country for 7 weeks -2006
    Final National Rankings – 2nd in 2006, 3rd in 2005, 7th in 2004
    17 Consecutive of 23-win seasons (NC only allows 23 reg. season games)
    21-0 to this date in 2007 season

18 Consecutive Conference Championships,
    Last regular season conference loss was in 1996 – 10 years

37 of the last 43 seniors have received some type of scholarship assistance.
    Since 1994, Players have been awarded 6 State MVPs, 13 Conference Players of the Year and 20 High School All-Americans.

9 straight years of “NC Scholar Team Status”

2007 East/West Senior All Star Coach - 1st season of the games.

1998 - 2000 Alexander Central Varsity Football - Head Coach
    *Led a previous 4-18 (1996-1997) team into a 6-5 team in 1998,including a victory over No#2 ranked team in the state (Independence HS).
    *In 1999, Alexander Central claimed its 2nd playoff berth in 15 years.
    *Lead a resurgence from 10 straight conference losses before 1998 to a three-year conference record of 8-7.

1990 - 1992 American Legion Post 170 - Head Baseball Coach

Taylorsville, NC. Area Four Western Champions in 1990 and 1992. Area Four Runner-up in 1991.

1996 In 1996, guided team back to a winning record and No#7 seed in Area 4 playoffs.
    Overall Record 80-40 (667%)

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. Braves

Part 2

Give us your background on how you got started in coaching?

I played baseball at Pfeiffer College under the legendary Coach Joe Ferebee. I had always played sports growing up, so naturally, I was steered in the coaching direction. The Lord has always directed, pulled, and pushed me the way I needed to go. I feel very fortunate to have had some good baseball coaches in the past. I tried to take the positive components of each coach that I thought would help to develop me into being a quality coach and leader. I feel like I have a solid philosophy in coaching.

My philosophy is based on a commitment to young people. I realize that every young lady I coach is someone’s daughter, and for this reason, I work extremely hard to be the kind of man that parents want coaching their daughter. A head coach plays many roles in the life of a player. What I do within the four years I coach the athlete will be carried with them for the next 50 years. My goal as a coach is to impact young players’ lives and teach them how to become winners in both softball and life. I am not interested in being popular or trying to keep players happy. I strongly feel that being the “cool” teacher/coach only sets the table for mediocrity. I want players to trust me in the fact that I will always play the best player.

I believe that players in today’s culture need strong leadership. My job as a leader is to set a standard higher than they feel themselves capable of achieving and show them how to reach it. I believe that young people want high standards in their lives; they want to be shown how to achieve goals and be successful. I care about my players. I believe that players do not care how much you know about softball until they know how much you care about them. On the field, you do not see how I care about my players, because in my eyes the field is a “battlefield”. You would actually have to play for me to know and understand how I feel about my players and how I feel about the game.

I believe that young people indeed want high standards. I also feel that they want discipline in their lives. I believe that discipline is love, and love is discipline. In other words, discipline is not what you do to somebody; it’s what you do for them. I do my best to prove to my players that the things demanded of them are for their benefit. Discipline and hard work have been the foundation on which my program is built and maintained! People are not born winners and they are not born losers. People are exactly what they think they are, nothing more, and nothing less. For this reason, I have tried to instill into our players that they will work harder/smarter and are more disciplined than any team they play; and subsequently, reap the positive results of being successful.

If all losing situations were examined, you would encounter people who lack confidence. They are jealous, negative, and tend to pull each other down. My job as a coach is to lift people up around me. The way in which I do this is based on my commitment to excellence and my burning desire to accept nothing but the best from myself and those around me.

Did you ever consider baseball instead of softball?

The name of the game I coach may be softball, but I actually coach the game of baseball everyday! I believe this may be one of the keys to my past success. I teach the skills and techniques of baseball along with coaching the game more from a baseball philosophical standpoint. For example, we cover 1st base with our pitchers on any ball hit to the right side of the infield. I have never seen any other softball program from HS to college involve the pitcher in this way. Softball coaches in general handle certain situations so differently than a baseball coach would execute the same situation.

On the hitting side, we are very detailed in assessing every single at bat for the players and calculating scores. We want a “quality at bat” regardless of the possible outcome. For instance, our focus is hitting the ball “in the screws” every at bat. We could care less if the player has no hits in the game, as long as they are having a quality at bat. In the long run, we are always concerned more with the process rather than the outcome.

Baseball coaches chart everything under the sun, but usually softball coaches only carry a scorebook. There are so many ways you can help your players achieve success. I try to evaluate the data we collect and an offer a plan of attack. We chart everything. Every bench player has a job to do in the evaluation process by either charting swings, pitches, signals and other important information. What better way to involve the bench players to really learn the game? They become active participants in the game, instead of merely watching the game. I always follow my baseball instincts in practice and game situations instead of softball mindset.

I feel like we always have one of the top hitting teams in the state due to our baseball swing technique. Most softball coaches teach a rotation swing, but we include a linear sequence that most coaches never teach. If you research major league baseball, you will find that 99% of all MLB hitters are both linear and rotation. I think just the opposite happens in the softball world of hitting. Based on what I observe in high school, college, travel teams, and camps, 90% of all softball players are strictly rotational. Softball hitters who are strictly rotational lose an enormous amount of power. I could talk for hours on this issue, but I really feel we enjoy the benefits of the synergist effect on our cuts at the plate. Basically, our 1 plus 1 adds up to far more than 2. When strengths work together, very positive results usually emerge. Although we certainly have players who struggle, our philosophy in hitting has reaped huge benefits for our players at the plate. For instance, just this week, Amanda Barrs, who is at Samford (CC 06) was named Player of the Week in the Ohio Valley Conference, Stephanie Beatty at Western Carolina (CC 05) was named Southern Conference Player of the Month, Karie Pushard at LR (CC 04) was named SAC 8 Player of the Year, and Allison Presnell at NC State (CC 06) is leading her team basically in every hitting area. We have several more players at the college level enjoying success, but the technique works. Our players believe in the system.

3. Braves

Part 3

It’s obvious that you love the sport, what have been the biggest changes you have seen since your involvement?

I feel like the development of the players due to travel ball and the advancement of technology in the game has been the biggest changes I have witnessed. Travel ball has opened up another world for the players in game situations. I love high school because I have plenty of teaching/practice time with a relatively limited 30-game schedule. Travel coaches are burdened with limited practice time, but 50-100 games. I tip my hat to every travel ball coach. Without travel ball, HS Softball would be a joke in many ways. I am much like a travel ball coach in the fact that I coach for the love of the game. I would enjoy coaching a travel ball team under the right situation. I enjoy teaching the small nuances of the game, the proper technique and how to handle the different situations that present themselves. I feel like this is where the rubber meets the road. For example, something as small as a well-executed rundown makes long practices worth the time and effort to me.

Technology has enhanced the higher levels of the game tremendously. I try to stay on the cutting edge of technology. Videotaping is something most coaches never use to their advantage. My computer is my weapon against poor performance. My players can see the development of their swing from their freshman through their senior season. Softball is a game of adjustments. If you don’t adjust, then prepare to fail. I watch every hitter that we face, break their swing down quickly, and attack their weaknesses.

Is there anything else that you like to see change in the sport?

There are lots of changes I would like to see. As a HS coach, I feel like the NCHSAA should allow our NC high schools to play in tournaments without restrictions on game limits. NC schools and players are punished because of this rule. I have taken teams to Tennessee, Ohio, SC, but never been able to finish the tournaments due to the NCHSAA restrictions. The state mandates HS teams can’t play but 4 games a week, yet once you reach the State finals you can play 5 games in a matter of hours and play on Sunday. A wrestler can participate in 60 matches in a year and volleyball can play in-season tournaments that do not count against their seasonal limits in the “name of promotion of the game”. I feel the state should set a number of regular season games and allow each tournament to count as 2 games in the regular season number. This would allow the teams that want to take their game to the highest level to be able to do so, yet have a state limit.

I would like to see the attitudes and expectations elevate surrounding most HS programs as a whole. As far as softball goes, most “run of the mill” fans, coaches and players feel like coaches who are actually “passionate” about the game are going overboard or out of control. Go to an average everyday HS baseball or competitive travel ball game, and you will see coaches and their squads “getting after it” in every way. We, HS coaches and our programs, are still fighting the stigma of the old slow pitch days when programs were run and treated more like a recreation league.

Why has it been so difficult for administrators to find/recruit quality
    coaches at their school? What do they need to do to improve in this area?

This is the “ME” and instant gratification generation, so Administrators find it difficult to find quality coaches because of this mindset. Going back to the travel ball coaches, I would coach for FREE! In today’s way of thinking, most HS coaches are too worried about their pay and not enough about their coaching performance. Softball-wise, there are still some “old school” HS coaches (North’s Lambros, East Surry’s Hill, and a few more) who grew up with the crazy idea that hard work would take you to the top. I believe if you can find a coach who is passionate about the game, the program will automatically head in the right direction. Administrators can find quality coaches if they make the sport a priority, not being just happy to fill the position.

Going back to the thoughts of coaches just wanting to be liked by their players. . . it seems like this is many times younger coaches’ main priority. To be a quality coach, you must master many different qualities. I feel like strong leadership is a must. Players need to know that there is a leader of their team, and it is the Coach, not a parent with money or self-agenda. The pitfall of playing politics enters HS Athletics way too much.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  4. Braves

Part 4

Coach, you are one of the most visible leaders in your profession. You have established a standard of excellence that is noticed nationally. Yet, you have become a target at times. What would you say to those that question you?

The target would be the size of Hiroshima... I think that many times fans, opposing teams, and usually anyone not associated with my teams feel as though I am a cold, strict, demanding, and insensitive coach—and all of those would be true on the field of play, but players inside of my program would tell you a different side of the story. I think many times my passion for the game is misconstrued as a negative. I coach the way Pete Rose played—all out on every play! I’m stealing this quote from someone, but share the philosophy of “Do what has to be done, when it has to be done, as well as it can be done and do it that way every time”.
    I am a very vocal coach and “hold no bars” when it comes to being accountable to the way the game should be played. I believe in hustle, attention to detail, and playing games the way you practice. I want my players to know that I watch every detail and will correct their mistakes. My players leave their egos at the gates.

I go against the grain of political correctness. It is not OK allowing the players to run the show, do what they want to do, and allow individuality to over-rule the team concept. Lou Holtz said, “The freedom to do your own thing ends when you have obligations and responsibilities. If you want to fail yourself, you can; but you cannot do your own thing if you have responsibilities to team members”. I share in his belief.

The game is designed for hustle, attention to detail, enthusiasm, mental fortitude, and playing as a team. I believe these attributes are a must for anyone that is a part of a team. You must be faithful for the good of the team. Your conduct in front of others and your teammates is a direct reflection of the entire program. Your behavior, appearance, and attitude must be first-rate. You must put this team in the forefront of your decisions to avoid one that could be detrimental to the program. I tell my players that, “your intelligence implies knowing what to do, when to do it, and why you should do it in the first place”. I have but one single rule in my program and it is the Marine Corps Motto, “Semper Fi”. My players are held accountable to be faithful to the school, our team, and themselves.

In today’s world, mediocrity is accepted. Team sports are one of the few places that players and kids can find discipline and structure. There are a lot of people today that feel just the opposite of what I have discussed here. Many of them are the most vocal critics of me as a coach. I am not saying that I do not make mistakes. I do; many of them each day, but my job as a leader is to LEAD, not follow.

You have had many outstanding girls in your program at CC and at Alexander Central. Do you stay in contact with them? Any particular story or stories that you care to share?

Actually almost every Saturday game at Central, I have several former AC players that travel the 60 miles down to watch the team take infield, watch the game, and they enjoy the fact that someone other than themselves are getting a “chewing” over some small detail. There are many stories to tell, but I am very proud of the fact that my players do very well in pressure in whatever job that they do. I feel like kids who come out of our program have a tough mentality and work ethic.

Obviously, talent is very important, but what have you found to be the keys to your success?

Without hesitation, my experience in the Marine Corps has been the key to my success. Everything feeds off of my lessons learned as a Marine into my job as a coach and leader. I build leadership from within my team and hold the kids accountable to one another.
    Dan Hignight, Sr., father of Providence Baseball Head Coach Danny Hignight, told me once during his legendary talks, “that the more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed in war time.” Although I am coaching girl’s softball, I try to practice with this in mind. Needless to say, we sweat a lot in practice.

Our team is proactive and takes the battle to teams we play. We try to get into attack mode because being aggressive increases your likelihood of success. We go onto the playing field to compete and succeed rather than to be tentative, submissive, or playing not to lose. I believe when you become non-aggressive, you forfeit your talent. Aggressive play puts the pressure on the opponent. Most players and teams do not execute well in an atmosphere where they feel stressed and play in a reaction mode.

I feel the attention to detail is paramount. Fastpitch has become a sport where a split second is the difference between out and safe, in winning and losing. The close attention to detail equips the players with an intrinsic desire to execute the technique correctly. We work hard on kinetic memory. It takes 3000 to 5000 repetitions of a technique for it to become a habit. Habit creates comfort. During competition, the very best players are at relative ease because they have established habit from technique and are confident in their ability to execute. Equipped with proper technique and mechanics, athletes are relaxed and have a natural fluid pattern to the ball. I have used hitting as the example, but fielding and throwing are in the same realm. We really focus on technique. This allows optimal performance when the margin of difficulty increases. I absolutely love film study of the swing!!!!!

I enjoy the grind of the games and seasons in a strange way. I focus in on every pitch and never take a pitch off. I believe every pitch tracks the game in different directions. Many times at the highest levels of the game, one pitch is the ball game. I watched a special on Bill Parcells, the recently retired football coach of the Dallas Cowboys. During the 60 Minutes show, Coach Parcells said, “during the season, I am miserable”. I know exactly what he feels like, but I love the misery. Although in misery, I am smiling ear to ear knowing I have a team that is solid and extremely dangerous to play. I love the game to the point where I am constantly working on how to improve a player. I drive an hour to Central everyday. Each day on the ride, I talk into a voice recorder on things I want to work on at practice, strategies about improving a player, and my thoughts about our team. I love working on the game.

5. Braves

Part 5

Has there been one team that you have special feelings for? Why?

No one team has stood out as special because each year has been a special journey with those kids. I will say this about a few very special moments.

* Each year we won the State Title at Alexander; the reception we received back in the town of Taylorsville was very special. The police escorted us into the city from the county lines with horns blowing and lights flashing, handed us the keys to the city, the band and several players would give speeches. I never will forget the view from the field looking at the crowd from Alexander clapping and yelling for our team. Being from Alexander, it was a special feeling bringing a deep sense of pride to a small community. One person in particular I always looked at was a man named Alvin Burke. I knew that if I pleased him, I pleased all of Alexander County. I would like to return to Alexander Central at some point in time. AC is where this softball journey started for me, so ironically I want to walk away from it there with my kids in hand. I believe this would be every Dad’s dream.

* Winning the State Title undefeated in 2005 was very special, too. It was very unique in the fact that I walked with my three daughters to receive the trophy. I have a photo of them looking up at me while holding my youngest daughter’s hand. That is a very special memory for a dad that loves his daughters!

What have been your proudest moments?

I experience this each game as a Veteran of the US Marines and American. As our ball club pays the highest respect for those who have died for our freedom in the National Anthem. No player in our program moves until the last sound and one of our captains, yells, “Play ball”. It has developed into a right of passage for our teams. Our squad puts an enormous amount of emphasis on the issue. I feel a huge amount of pride when a former player tells me that the routine of respect for the National Anthem remains a regular routine long after their playing days.

Our 2005 squad that went undefeated was an enormous accomplishment. Walking out to accept the State Championship trophy with my three daughters was a memory of a lifetime. I have a photo of accepting the trophy while my young little ones look up at me. The title was huge, but not higher than having my kids look up and respect me.

Another proud moment came after one of the most disappointing losses of my career in the 1999 State Championship. I thought I had had a tough day….Unknown to me was a situation unfolding at the Wake Forest Baptist Brenner Children’s Hospital with my oldest daughter Bailey. Bailey, 3 at the time, had been diagnosed was Leukemia. My natural response was to be a coach for Bailey, so we could battle the disease. Bailey did her part fighting with courage and toughness, but my players along with other community members fought just as hard on another front. My players brought my family food, provided Bailey with a constant flow of cards and gifts, started fundraisers to pay hospital bills and were baby sitters for my 2-year old daughter, Vada. I was extremely humbled, yet proud that my players had taken care of my family in a time of need.

Last week, I was fortunate enough to reach 500 wins as a HS Head Coach. BUT, I told my team that “My Victory” off the field with the Lord was my biggest victory I have had and will ever have. It was a great moment with the Lord.

Is there anything that we haven’t discussed that you would like to address to the TBR members?

I realize that everyone has his or her opinion of me as a coach. I coach to win, teach my players the proper way to play the game (mentally and physically), and be a leader for them. I do not coach to please anyone. Anyone who really knows me or has talked to me away from the field of play would tell you that in my personality on vs. off the field are the difference from night and day. I grew up in a large family with very limited income and a severely mentally retarded younger brother. In my early years, I learned that you didn’t have to have money to win a ballgame, that I could always out-hustle other players, and that passionate play would give me an edge. Being successful on the field was the only thing I could hang my hat on when the day was done. I played with passion and desire. Most of the old timers know exactly what I am saying by the following comment. When all “””you had”” is the way you play a game, then you gave all your heart on every play. This experience combined with the Marine Corps molded me into the coach and person I am today. When the day is done and my career is over, I would like for people to judge me on my entire body of work, how my players excelled in every area of the game and that I left it “ALL” on the field.

6. Braves

In conclusion

I appreciate Coach Sherrill taking his time to do this interview. Whether one is a friend or critic, we all must admit that he is a winner!...on the field and off the field. I hope that everyone has a better understanding of him as a person and as a coach. He will be the first person to tell you he makes mistakes, but he doesn't dwell on them; he learns from them and moves on.

The only thing that really matters is his relationship with his players. They love him!!! How does one know that? Because his graduating players always return....the best sign that a coach is respected and loved by his players.

Attached Files:

7. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

great interview Braves, lots of insight for those of us who have never met the man. I like your conclusion and agree, sign of a great coach is the amount of players who stay in contact and visit on a regular basis. Impressions that will last a life time.

8. CometFan

CometFan Moderator

Coach Sherrill

Great interview Braves. Thanks for doing the interview. Thanks to Coach Sherrill for taking time to do the interview.

9. CanAmMan

CanAmMan Full Access Member

AWESOME interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. tonync55

tonync55 Full Access Member

Great interview Braves. Thanks for sharing