1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

TBR Interview- Monte Sherrill

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Braves, Apr 28, 2007.

1. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

not that i kiss anyones butt, but i met monte a couple of years ago at a tournament in rock hill. spent about 20 minutes talking travel ball and hs ball. very, very intelligent man, knows the game and from all the girls coming up to him and talking to him (plus the hugs he constantly gets) i would say his kids have a lot of respect for him and its mutual. i have not seen him on the field, have never witnessed one of his games at ac or cc, but seems he gets results from his players.

2. RobAC65

RobAC65 By Grace Through Faith!!

yeah hes a tough coach but he gets results and his players love him to death

3. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

A Lot Of People "DON"T REALIZE" !!!

Alot of you don't know this,but Jeff was one heck of a ball player in his time,and he never comes off as being high and mighty, he doesn't even brag on his own kid, but I love his analogies of people,softball, etc.....He is one heck of a guy that I respect when we play him or just walking around the ball field shooting the bull with each other. He is usually right when he opens his mouth about any subject concerning ball, and Jeter is the proof in the pudding !!!

Guru:iagree:

4. softball nut

softball nut Full Access Member

Do you guys ever go to bed , or do you fall asleep on the keyboard ? LOL Comet is my hero. He is the BIGGEST softball fan in this great state (NC State) that is, for you Fish !! He also carries some weight with the college coaches. Who better to ask, than the man who watches all the games he does.

5. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

Thanks, but you should have stopped....

..at the one heck of a ballplayer the fishman was! lol!

6. marlinfan1

Thanks Nut, for the NC State blast!.... and.....

....as I posted earlier, I truly admire this man! 'Ol CometFan is a TBR legend as well as a damn good friend to all of us!!! the kids, parents, family, teams and TBR folks...all of us!

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  7. Stanlysoftball

Stanlysoftball Full Access Member

8. marlinfan1

....I have no idea about an article 4 years ago but if it mirrors an article in todays time that is giving props to a coach for producing winning programs all the while he credits outside influences, ie TB or others, to help his teams succeed and continue to succeed by virtue of the little kids looking up to his players.......then seems to me that he's doing right !

Even if Monte, like him or not, reason 1 for you or reason 2 for another, ya'll cannot disagree that the man gives his time and efforts to the degree that kids want to play for him.

I have no dog in this hunt so don't slam the fishman on my opinion, but one thing is for sure that everyone knows, the fish tells it like he sees it and even though I have never met MS, I respect his bigtime contribution to NC softball. Can't argue with that.

Fish:smart:

9. kmale

kmale Full Access Member

Great Article/Great Coach

I want to start by saying I guess I am a little partical....My dd grew up on a small country farm in Alexander County, where the only thing to do was go to walmart and play softball, she started out like most girls do, playing travel ball at the age of 8.....Always from day 1, wanting to one day be a lady Cougar, going to the camps that Coach Sherrill put on, getting to know the (mentors) lady Cougars, wanting to grow to be just like them. Little did I know at the time just how close coach S and myself would get to be....Coach S you don't know the true Impact that you had on my dd.
    And people that critisize him, well most haven't had a kid play for him, he gives them things that they will use off the field for the rest of their lives!
    At one of his camps he gave my dd a little wooden bat..(best hitter) (she didn't know it but he gave all the players one)....she kept that bat and said "Daddy, One day I'm going to be just like coach Sherrill wants me to be"..but I watched a coach that was compassionate about the game of softball, but also compassionate to his family and a man that transformed into a humbled, man of god! testifying to what god had done for his family, giving his lord and savior all the glory, just like the community that rallies behind his softball team, the community rallied around his family....Those are the moments that I personnally will remember....And when he had the chance to come back to AC, the excitment I witnessed first hand from his 3 girls, that is a moment I will never forget. But I guess the others would be the fact that I witnessed first hand that hard work pays off, my dd won a state championship, and that was in part from coach Sherrill's relentless drive for her to succeed and it proved to her that working hard does pay off.......Now she has moved on to college and is doing very well, and yes, I am very proud of her work ethic and her accomplishments.....Coach Sherrill was a big part of that.....Monte, you are a great person and a great DAD!
    I just thought I would share this with everyone....

thanks

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Thanks kmale...well said