1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Labrum List

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by SoutherNo1, Apr 24, 2009.

1. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

After reading this whole thread I think most people can see why parents would be confused on this topic. I don't think most people in baseball know this stuff. This is very helpful but appears overwhelming. It tells me if your son or daughter is a pitcher you need them with someone you can trust.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Exactly...and ensure they learn proper mechanics

3. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Full Access Member

Programs

Has anyone on TBR seen the Rick Peterson Pitching Program call 3p Sports Performance (or something like that), it is based on Biomechanics done w/ the famous Dr.Andrews in Alabama, and sounds alot like what we are talking about here in this thread. Takes a video of your pitcher and breaks out red flags that lead to possible injuries, they call it pre-hab, to keep from going throug Re-hab. Courious if any one has signed on and done the program and if it really worth the money, about $400 for a years scrip. Sounds like the new wave of pitching instruction, keeping kids healthy through out their youth so can pitch longer and more injury free.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Yes, I have heard of it. It appears to be money well spent. There are actually quite a few programs including some that are amazing that offer the same type lesson.

The one that Prepster mentioned--digital motion analysis--is an amazing tool, but I believe somewhat pricier.

5. ATC

ATC Member

Video Analysis

Hammerdog,

This is the type of service that I perform. Visit http://www.athletictrainingandconditioning.com/Video_Analysis.html

If I can be of service, there is an email address on the contact page.

6. andro

andro Full Access Member

Conclusion to my thoughts on the delivery

One Putt try ATC. I think it would be a great idea.

I heard Peterson speak at a convention. Wish I could have heard more. Very intelligent person. He was an art major in college. He also understands that pitching is a great mix of science and creativity. This man is captivating when it comes to talking pitching. One of the best I've ever heard.

Prepster, you are right on. You have to keep up with the times or they will pass you by. My buddy and I were talking the other day. Our general topic was that us guys that grew up in the mid to late 80's and 90's may have grown up in the worst generation in terms of development of pitchers. People started trying to define a science that really had never been defined. It wasn't all wrong, but it was not very good either. What happened is a bunch of people started coaching things in space and time, i.e. still frames, photos. We all grew up watching Maddux and Glavine pitch away, farther away, and even farther away. We started putting pitch counts on people. (Not that pitch counts are wrong). But we changed everything about pitching in this generation. Now this generation has become pitching coaches, scouts, minor league pitching coordinators, gurus. Like anything the first time you try it, it won't be right. But, it allows you to formulate changes, gives you a base to work off of.

Nolan Ryan's stride length was over seven feet long! He stood 6'4". Tim Lincecum's father used to put a dollar bill where he thought his stride length should be. If he got there he got the dollar, if he didn't Tim would pay him one.

Some helpful hints I've learned. Coach inactive body parts. Coach the process, not the task. Coach movements and counter movements vs. balance and repetition of delivery. Believe in the body! It is made to not hurt itself. Your body has its own diagnostic system. Warning signs are all over the place. If you coach inactive body parts, the process and not the task, movements and counter movements.... your body will clean itself up, I promise.

7. olefty

olefty Full Access Member

I think one of the last posts I put on here was months ago and I said that andro was the best pitching coach I have ever been around. That was before he took his pitching staff to a world series and helped make some pretty average high school guys into GREAT DOMINATE small college pitchers. I picked a pretty good race horse!

Everytime I talk pitching with him or watch him workout pitchers I get a better understanding of what I need to know and do to be good at this. I have spent the last five years relearning pitching and I would say 90% of it is directly from him.

There's been plenty of guys I have helped get better and several I haven't. I think I am getting experienced enough to not care what you think you know about me, but I will spend the rest of my life making sure everybody knows Andro is the man! If your son is lucky enough to work with him he just won the pitchers lottery...

8. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

things to avoid

From my observations, readings, and listening to those who seem to know:

These things spell T-R-O-U-B-L-E for pitchers, if not in the short term, then over time for sure (in no particular order)

1. No committed throwing program that strengthens all muscle groups, tendons, and ligaments for long term usage. Too many young pitchers aren't committed to preparing themselves to be a pitcher, then they overcook it when they come to the field and find themselves in pain or worse....and they can't fiugure out why it never gets better.

2. Short striding. The short strider relies on a quick, jerking arm motion to make up for the lack of lower body exertion as they try to compete. The only way they know to throw harder is to jerk that arm harder.

3. Limited use of major muscle groups. The pitcher who ignores the powerful back muscles and just slings it from an upright position is leaving a lot of velocity on the table. This motion puts a lot of stress on the arm and shoulder and the arm is stopped in its follow-through abruptly by the pitchers' chest. Bending over in the follow through allows the arm to slow down in a less abrupt fashion as it glides past the plant leg and slows more evenly.

4. High elbow during delivery. A frame by frame video analysis will show the path of the elbow during delivery. An elbow that flies above the shoulder during the delivery is a major flaw that will result in injury most every time.

5. Pitching beyond fatigue. Most games don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Pitchers who are overused in a short period of time or in a given game can go beyond their bodies ability to support their efforts and a physical breakdown occurs. It may not be noticeable at first or seem minor, but in many cases that initial physical breakdown is the first step in a journey of discomfort, compensation, lost performance and ultimately serious injury. Pitchers that are serious about a future in pitching will prepare for the demands of pitching and not compromise their long term health for a short term and meaningless outcome in a game. It gets a lot better when the young pitcher understands and communicates where he is physically with his coach. You gotta love the young pitcher who is prepared for long outings, but knows when to shut it down for the good of the team and his long term health. I wonder how many great pitchers wrecked themselves to win a game no one remembers at a place that is just dust and weeds now.

6. Improper chest rotation. Too many pitchers open up too soon and sacrifice the power of their upper body chest rotation and then to compensate for the loss of velocity they jerk the arm harder. When the plant foot lands the upper body rotation should still be intact and then uncoils powerfully vaulting the arm into the throwing motion like a whip.

7. Weak legs. When a pitcher's legs are weak then fatigue comes quickly, particularly in innings with over 20 pitches thrown. The weakness of the foundation breaks the delivery down and the pitcher will revert to overuse of the arm and shoulder to compensate.

8. Too much empahsis on velocity and not enough on control and command. Pitchers that throw hard without control and command usually wind up giving up free bases to walks and hit batters, give up gap shots with runners on base and have high per inning pitch counts. They telegraph their off-speed pitches and those are mostly "hope" pitches. Young hitters want to see the good fastball because that is what they are most trained to hit. The power pitcher without control and command gets behind, hit hard and tries to compensate by throwing harder, leading to fatigue and injury

Bottom Line: Prepare to pitch (and that requires a lot of work and dedication year round, with a rest period), pitch fluidly and with guile for maximum effectiveness. Learn that a tap-out to second base off your good changeup on the second pitch of an at-bat is better than a strikeout occurring on the sixth pitch of an at-bat. Get in the proper place mechanically and understand that it requires work to stay there. This pitcher will be a winner and so will his team.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009