1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The outstanding '09's???

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This is the thread to post the names of players to watch> While it is certainly acceptable to mention a player that has committed, it's also refreshing to hear about the one's that don't get as much attention.

Every year, in the fall, I like to hear about the seniors to go watch, so I can plan to see some HS games featuring those players. The only thing I ask is what makes them special?

2. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Mitchell Frazier

Oxford Webb HS - RHP - Mitchell is one of the best 09 pitchers I saw last season. He is tall and lanky and will fill out some more down the road. He pitches in the mid 80's and can bump it up there even higher. He has a very good cureball and a good change up. Mitchell competes and knows how to pitch. He will have a lot to say about who wins the Mid State 3A this coming season. Coach Tate has done a great job with this young man since taking over at Webb. Mitchell is very good.

Jason Groce , Southern Alamance HS - RHP - Jason is a heck of a pitcher. He comes at you with a low 3/4 arm slot and gets a ton of run on his fastball. He throws a nice slider or slurve whatever it is its very effective. He has good velo and can really pitch. Jason is a guy that can definitely play at the next level. I really like this kid on the hill. He can flat out pitch and he will compete.

Both of these young men are tough guys on the hill with a lot of talent. They will be very good at the next level.

3. JM15

JM15 Moderator

jake milinichik is a kid who will have a big-time senior season. RHP who can also hit. Amazing base path speed. Upper 80's fastball, good curve. apex high school.

eric brady, green hope hs, is one of the better infielders around the raleigh area not named chris diaz (apex hs, ncsu commit)

4. Back Seat Coach

Back Seat Coach Member

Players from the Northern part of Wake County

JM15, I have to agree with you on Eric Brady. Great kid that WILL end up a D1 school. His Dad is first class too. Not sure why he hasn't committed yet but my sources say he is close.

We played with Diaz this summer and he is one heck of a SS. With added strength that he will get at NCSU, he may be the best of the class in this area. We might have played against one other SS (in the ATL Wood Bat) that was more impressive. He plays the ball, not the ball him.

The best of the CAP 7 senior class should be:

Pitchers:
    Daniel Brown, RHP, Broughton (Liberty commit);
    Charles Wolfe, 6' 5" RHP, Sanderson - not yet committed
    Jake Harris, LHP, Millbrook (very crafty lefty with a lot of movement)
    Matt Jurek, RHP, Enloe - not sure this young man will move on but he competes. also a QB

Infielders:
    Jake Kline, SS/2b IF they play him there, Broughton
    Mike Zeblo, SS/2b/3b, Broughton
    Kyle Wigmore, SS, Sanderson (could commit any day)
    Charles Wolfe, 1B, Sanderson
    Taylor Gleason, 2B, WFR

Outfielders:
    Jake Kline, CF, Broughton - the young man runs a 6.6, Comis will play him where he needs him.
    Kyle Wood, CF, Sanderson - runs a 6.9 and is fantastic reading the ball off the bat
    And I need help filling in the rest.

Now I know I have opened up a can of worms here. I will be honest, when my son was pitching last year I didn't really notice the other team that much......unless they flied out, grounded out or struck out. LOL AND... I hate saying this because I am a Sanderson parent for life, but Broughton will win the CAP 7 next spring.

Help me out here CAP 7 Dad's. I am missing names for sure

5. Back Seat Coach

Back Seat Coach Member

Left off Catchers

The best catcher in the CAP 7 is Max Gagnon, Sanderson. Best in the conference for next year hands down.

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

BSC- Thanks for the information. I hope we get many posts like yours....very informative indeed.

7. doctorbuzzy

doctorbuzzy Full Access Member

While on some Tri-8 players, Apex has a few players being followed

Saw the remarks about Diaz, who is a great shortstop and will be one of the conference's best players, but Apex has a few players that will help them make another run. In additon to J. Milinichek (see JM15 comments), R. Frankoff (LHP, mid 80s with good curve) is getting some interest as it T. Bacot (INF/OF, 6.8 speed, smooth quick INF), P. Harrell (RHP, sidearm, low to mid 80s) and S. Buchanan (INF-'10, 6.8 speed). Apex will have a good group returning as well as some new faces coming on board. With Milinichek, Frankoff, & Harrell they'll have very good pitching depth and with Diaz & Bacot probably the best middle infield in the conference.

I'll follow up some other names from tri-8 this week.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  8. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Is Drew Woodall an '09 over there at Athens? If so, he had one heck of a HS season last year and should have a big senior year. He may only be a junior though?

Apex also has Houston Hawley who can play.

9. travisunc

travisunc Full Access Member

I'm excited about Sanderson Baseball next season and years to come. The program has made a complete 180 from a few years back. I used to coach some of these kids in the Raleigh City League when they were 13 so it's exciting to see them grow as ball players.

10. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

from Winston Salem...Reagan HS Tom Dobbins 09

Strong muscular catcher ( 6'0, 195 ) with quick feet and soft hands..
    Smooth fluid stroke, with aggressive approach at the plate. Patient hitter with great bat speed.
    Had a strong summer, grading well at the Southeastern Showcase 2008 in Atlanta, Best of Virginia Showcase, Super 96 in Rocky Mount, and Perfect Game in Wilmington.
    Pop time 1.95, arm speed 78mph, 4.5 home to first, 7.5 in 60 yd dash.
    Will play this fall for Proehlific Power Showcase team based in the Triad.
    3.3 gpa, SAT Math 610, Verbal 470.