1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Tommy John Surgery

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

It's unfortunate that this has become prevalent. I'm not starting this thread to get into the reasons this surgery has become prevalent, but rather to explain my opinion of what I have learned:

- There was a time that most Orthopedic Dr's would try conservative treatment (rest and rehab) to elbow injuries. What most have found is all this treatment does is to delay the inevitable for one year. There have been very few positive results in taking this option.

- The operation continues to improve in its procedure.

- If the patient follows their rehab and workout program as prescribed and tries not to get aggressive in its guideline, you will find that your arm and shoulder will be much stronger than ever before.

There has been some testimony that the hardest part is to get "the feel of the ball", that location is the hardest thing to master. I can only attest to my son's experience. The opposite is true. His velocity is way up, his movement marvels him and his control has been outstanding. All of those are his words.
    He can not recall his arm feeling better than it does right now, yet, he is still not at 100%. It is still a work in progress, but he is into his 11th month since surgery. For those that have son's with this surgery or for the one's that are having to face this decision; all I can say is right now, he is better (talentwise) than anytime in his pitching career. His FB explodes, his 2 seamer rides in or out, his CB has a tighter spin and his CU drops off the table.

I hope this feedback helps some of you who have son's going through this process and for those that may have to face this in the future.

For those that have any questions, feel free to contact me at anytime.

2. PhillyDave

PhillyDave Senior Member

I have talked to your son at the EpiCenter about his surgery and we have compared notes. I haven't seen TJ lately so I am glad to hear all is well. My son had his surgery two months after yours and fortunately had the same PT (Alan Tyson). Alan has years of experience in this field and has done wonders for not only my son, but many others. Michael is 9 months into the program (he will pitch this spring) and all is well with him as well. While it was a big decision to make, (the surgery) in the long run, it will be better for him, not only while playing sports, but long after his sports career is over. In my sons case, the UCL had pulled itself away from the bone, so surgery wasn't an option. All I can say to any Dad's or Athlete's out there, is to watch your sons pitch count, ice the arm, and shut down the arm for at least two months or more during the off season.
    Good luck to all and if your want more info, please contact me as well.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  3. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Thanks guys.

4. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Thanks guys

Its good to know you have people willing to help you out that have been through something like this with their kids. Hopefully none of us will ever need any advice on this subject but if we do Im glad its there. Also Braves Im glad to hear that about your son you too Philly.

5. 4-6-3-DP

4-6-3-DP Full Access Member

I'm glad to hear that TJ is doing so well. I'm excited to see him throw this spring.

6. oldbbguy

oldbbguy bullpen

Thanks for sharing

that,I have one redshirting this season after elbo surgery.His was not tommy john but his doctor told us his arm to should feel better than it has in years when he gets back in 6 months.This information will give my son something positive to think about and hopfully put a smile on his face.Its been tough having to sit out his soph. year just when he was being counted on to play a larger role on the pitching staff .In times like these you look for positives anywhere you can find them,thanks again and good luck.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  7. itslife

itslife Full Access Member

For us with kids that throw so so very much this does ease the fear a little. We still try to avoid the situation if possible but it’s good to know that there is life in baseball after TJS. Thanks for sharing and it’s great to hear both your sons are recovering so well!!

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Let me share this story:

We were at Dr Andrews office in Birmingham waiting on his surgery. My son sat next to a ML pitcher waiting to have his done. They struck up a conversation and the player confided in my son that he really did not need the surgery at that time, but felt it would add years to his career. It just goes to show how far this surgery has come. Some ML pitchers are looking at it as a "tune-up".

When you think about it: They take a stronger, thicker tendon; wrap it around twice in a figure 8; teach the tendon to become a ligament.....and Bam...........a new bionic elbow.

I have had discussions with pitchers that tell me they have a frayed ligament. They are taking a conservative approach to get healthy.

I understand their feelings, but............ DOH!!!!! It's frayed!!!! It ain't going to mend. It's like having a weak spot in a tear....it's only going to tear more

9. PutMeInCoach

PutMeInCoach I Love This Game

Philly Dave....Good to here about Michael. My son separated his growth plate in his throwing shoulder when he was 13. Philly Dave you were there when it happened (Nationals). He is now 15 1/2 and after 2 years of very, very limited throwing is back working hard since last October without any shoulder pain. 2 years it took. Seemed like forever for me, but looking back was worth it. All you parents out there that have younger kids playing alot of travel ball, I and Philly Dave can tell you it does not matter when they are 11,12, or 13. Take our advice and rest the kids and quite over pitching them like they are 1 step from the majors. 2 months rest is a minimum in the off season. Tournament wins mean nothing when they are 15 and undergoing Tommy John surgery!!!

10. Awood08

Awood08 Junior Member

Braves,
    TJ is one of the best friends i've ever had. He inspires me as well as everyone he comes in contact with to not be just a better baseball player but a better person. When he called me a couple of days ago to tell me that he was throwing harder than ever before I was ecstatic. I cant wait to watch him pitch this spring and it just goes to prove that there is life after TJS.