1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Top 5 in-state recruiting classes

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Baseballfan7, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Baseballfan7

Baseballfan7 Junior Member

I know that impact baseball did an article on this and if anyone has an account on impactbaseball.com feel free to post it here. However, I would like to put my two sense in as well from a bystander point of view.
    1. UNC-Chapel Hill
    2. Unc-Wilmington
    3. UNC-Charlotte
    4. East Carolina
    5. Western Carolina

We all know why the Tar Heels are number 1 so let me explain the others. Wilmington had arguably one of the best recruiting classes in their history as it is ver deep in pitching and hitting. They have a great balance. Charlotte has recruited their tails off getting very good NC pitchers. The two that stand out to me are Ryan Mas and Brock Hudgens. Brock Hudgens is an upper 80's guy with great stuff. He has great control and above average off speed pitches. Ryan Mas is also a RHP that is consistent in the mid to high 80's but I heard that this past fall and coming over Christmas break he was clocked as high as 91. He probably has the most natural and most sinking 2-seam fastball I have ever seen. East Carolina has put together yet another successfull class starting with Jack Reinheimer. He participated in the state games of NC for region 6 and had several other d1 offers. He is very smooth in the field and a contact hitter at the plate. Western Carolina has two recruits that stand out to me they are Dakota Speiss and Trey Laney. I've seen these two guys do it all. Laney can pitch throwing upper 80's while he can also play a very solid third base and hit the cover off the ball. Dakota Speiss is an outstanding hitter and will fill needs quickly. The catamounts signed 13 student athletes-quite a big class.

2. bigal

bigal Full Access Member

Can someone familiar with ASU's recruiting class post details and where it may stack up with the other area classes. Thanks

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Please do not post the information from Impact here (you may link it). That is copyrighted material and one must have permission fron Andy Parton to post it here.

4. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

No wonder I don't have any sense. You have two!!

5. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

...and apparently inflation is a b*t*h...... lol

6. Braves

Actually, NC State was ranked in the Top 15 in the country with their recruiting class and Coach Hart is the main reason. This young man worked very hard all year attending every event and building relationships across the state with high school and summer coaches--and his effort paid off.

ECU took a dramatic leap in its talent the last few years. I don't believe any D1 HC works harder during the recruitment process than Coach Billy Godwin.

I'm mildly surprised no one mentioned Elon. Outside of UNC, they may have the most victories and playoff appearances of any other team in this state the last 3-4 years.

But there is a new trend in recruiting that I believe will escalate in the future. Florida has started the trend and they were rewarded with the top recruiting class in the country:

Momentum has been building in a crescendo for Florida since the day Kevin O'Sullivan took over as head coach in the summer of 2007. He took with him from Clemson a reputation as a master recruiter and a pitching guru, and expectations for the program shot through the roof as soon as he was introduced.

It helped that O'Sullivan hired highly respected former scouts Craig Bell and Brad Weitzel as assistant coaches, giving the Gators a staff filled with veteran talent evaluators. Those hires sent a message that Florida was serious about building its program into a national power by out-recruiting the competition.

Many experienced ML scouts are getting out of the business and where are they landing?....as recruiting coordinators! You will find many colleges breaking the mold of hiring a young aggressive coach as their recruiter and start going after the pool of experienced talent that are professional evaluators.

If I was a HC of a college team, I would hire Terry Brewer immediately and give him one goal--get me the best talent you can find. Then lick my chops knowing the players Terry signs will ensure that I will be able to keep my job!

7. Eagles 1313

Eagles 1313 Full Access Member

Braves...you talk about O'Sullivan going to Florida...wonder if that is how Justin Poovey (South Caldwell) ended up down there? He was an original Clemson recruit

8. Braves

Yep

9. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

Coach O'Sullivan's pitcher/catcher camps at Clemson allowed pitchers two opportunities to throw what amounted to a mini bullpen. I believe it gave him the chance to get a more in depth look at some prospects. Most other p/c camps I've seen only allow the pitcher to throw about 6-8 pitches in front of the coaches. He's a sharp guy.