1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Top Parents in the Area

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by AREAFAN, Nov 13, 2008.

1. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

This thread will eventually turn into "I'm a better parent than you" or "I like baseball more than you do" or "I've spent more money than anyone in here so that my son will do what I say with his life as long as it involves baseball."

It will then involve into "The parents for (Insert Team Here) are better than the parents for this team" or "The parents for (ITH) are better dressed and spent more money than another team."

It's only a matter of time...

2. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

I'm the best parent...

... My daughter told me so... after I bought her ice cream.

And Kevin... you are now officially off my favorite "catch the foul ball with your mouth" list... that's what you get for not listing ME on your list! I'm going to pout now with my lip stuck out...

3. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

Roadmap for parents (in my opinion) of players who want to play at a high level:
    1. Be supportive of your player. Encourage him, help him identify his strengths and weaknesses and find the positive in his efforts. When you have to point out a negative, do so in the framework of positive reinforcement. "Johnny, if you keep (insert fault) then the result will always be (insert outcome). If you just (insert correct technique) then you will be in a position to (insert desired result). I have seen how hard you work, let's just apply a little more effort to this aspect and you will see the result you want....I know you can do it.
    2. If you don't know the game, then get your player aligned with people who do. Players cannot excel if they are not fundamentally sound....it will show up some day and then it is too late.
    3. Keep your eye out for better opportunities. Many programs sound good on day one and way under deliver over time. Your journey will likely involve several "moveups" to better instruction and more focus on effort, results and the pursuit of quality baseball execution.
    4. Money is a big factor in baseball today, as it is in most everything. Many people make their entire living or a part of it from their baseball endeavors...don't begrudge those folks their need to do so (team fees, cost of lessons, etc). But there are a lot of other costs to be considered. The big thing to avoid is committing $$$ to a program that winds up just being another version of watered down travel ball and your player got very little instruction and spent a lot of time with the silly stuff that he could do back home with the local rec organization....meanwhile you have the hotels bills, food, gasoline and maybe even airfare to be offset by "all the fun we had". Nothing wrong with fun, but it can be had a lot cheaper if that's all you are in it for.
    5. Be HONEST. With yourself, with your player, with the coaches. An honest appraisal of what your son can do and where it could take him is worth a lot.....$$$ and otherwise. I've seen many posting about Freddy Suggs and they almost always reference the importance of the truth. We all love our kids and want to see them happy and successful. Teaching them about honesty in your own actions will help them be happy and successful in life.
    6. Let the coaches and other evaluators make their own assessments of your player...they know what to look for and they are looking in places you don't even know about. Leave the spreadsheet at home and the stories about how Johnny struck out 10 in a row when he was 12 are not for the ears of high-level coaches, scouts and others who make things happen as you move up through the system. Trust me, they can tell if your player has what it takes.
    7. Stay away from the dugout....allow your player to be a teammate and to make his own way. Gatorade, seeds, sunscreen (the most embarrassing thing a parent can bring a player) are the responsibility of your player. You will be surprised how they learn to fend for themselves when you let go a little bit.
    8. Put them in the best places to succeed and to be seen that you can afford.
    9. Enjoy the journey and soak in each moment...savor them for what they are....the little single to left field off a tough curveball is a big win for your player who has been struggling to pick up the pitch and make his adjustment. When he does, make it a grand slam for him and for you in your own private moment.
    10. Love your player, regardless of the outcomes. He and you are making lasting memories....make sure they are the kind that you both will want to revisit many times over the years.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Wow....that was outstanding Low & Slow. This post is a keeper!!!!

5. Kevin11

Kevin11 Full Access Member

Dangit!

GMan please accept my sincerest apology for leaving you off. As my hair turns grayer and my belly gets bigger, my mind is leaving me. Leaving you off the short list is unacceptable! Who else leaves a baseball field for 15 minutes and comes back with a cheeseburger the size of a manhole cover and pushing a wheelbarrow size order of fries, only the Gman. Who else could look at mangled teeth and busted lip and say, "does it hurt?"

You are a great parent, now find a deal on the Bentley that your son has always wanted!

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I can make you a deal with a Bentley in Wilson?

7. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

Great line.....I love it. :weihnacht2:

8. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

Kevin, don't dare leave yourself off the good parent list, you're one of the best. And Braves, that Bentley in Wilson is way over priced. May as well find another one.

9. RedSoxFan

RedSoxFan Full Access Member

Now that Kevin has admitted to the gray hair and an oversight of Gman, I will remind him of a couple of others that I am 100% sure was an oversight... I know he meant to mention the Hicks and Parkers... Once he goes back and adds them and the Allmans, I think he will be perfect!!

It is just too bad Kevin wasn't around for the washer toss tournaments this year so he could add to his list the Popes, Myers, Pennys, Munnellys, Fish, Franks, Thomas, Joyners and Goodwins.

Of course I am guilty of he gray and bigger belly also, Sooooooo, odds are, between Kevin, Gman and myself, we have still missed someone!! Regardless of who we missed (and I sincerely apologize for missing anyone), the past three years starting the summer of 2006 introduced me to some of the most sincere, dedicated baseball parents and best friends I have ever met.

10. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

that's nice!

we like you too, Hugh!

I'll treasure those days until I'm old and gray... wait a minute... I'M ALREADY THERE!!!