1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Top programs in NC recently?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by drag bunt, Nov 17, 2003.

1. bigformy

bigformy Member

Pinecrest is in the mid-southeastern 4a conf, along with Richmond County and Scotland. We have always competed in our conf., this year though will be a break-through for us, we have a pool of talent and have been working very hard. You may have heard of a couple of our players..

Pete Vancamp, 2b

Barry Guin, lhp

Brandon Cain, rhp/OF

Brandon Formyduval, C

Steven Melone, 1b

Taylor Norfleet, 3b

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I bet I can guess who Brandon is :D...Welcome aboard bigformy and thank you for the update. I'll be watching out for your team this year!!!!

3. Dynasty07

Dynasty07 Full Access Member

homerun4, is that list just of the top public school programs in the state the past few years or does that include private as well

East Meck has also been good in the past, but i see their run ending after this year

4. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

There are some good programs here, but we all know that there are esatblished programs across the state, traditional powers. Are we discussing traditional powers, consistent over the last 15 or more years, or soem that have recently developed into good programs... Time will tell on some of these programs.

5. observer

observer Full Access Member

What elements comprise a good program? Winning? Work ethic? Consistency? Character? Integrity? Coaching? Coachability? Support staff (parents, administrators, assistants)? Respectibility?

coachevans26 is right to point out a lot of teams listed are traditional powerhouses - I'd like to think there are some programs out there that go beyond just winning and are producing fine young men in communities all over NC. I love to see kids graduate from programs and go on to coach because of how much fun they had or the impact a coach had on their lives. There are many opportunities out there to make a lasting impression on a young kid.

6. CougarPlayer33

CougarPlayer33 Junior Member

to bigformy

Im assuming u r from Pinecrest. In mentioning good players..last season a guy went to Florida Tech from ur school with the last name of Mossana. May be spelt another way. Nethertheless, familiar with him?

7. bigformy

bigformy Member

CougarPlayer33

Mike Messana, yes very familiar.. Good freind of mine and teammate for years. What a coincidence, i was just at the ball field with him.

8. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Certainly if you look into the Wilmington area you must mention New Hanover, especially during the coaching eras of Buck Hardee, Dave Brewster, and even during the tenure of Keith Moore, but they have seemed to have fallen off a little, especially with the improvement of Laney under former coach and current Richmond County coach Trent Mongero. The new coach at Laney this year, Vern Barker was really successful at George Washington High School, in Danville, VA. I know him and his abilities as a coach having coached against him for many years. He will doa good job at Laney. Hoggard has had several excellent years recently under "Jeep" St. Ledger. For many years, Wilmington has been very good in baseball and always seems to have a state contender at one of the schools. Time will tell the effects that Ashley have on the other three programs. Brian Stewart is a fine coach and he will do an excellent job there.

But there's no way anybody can leave New Hanover off any traditional power list... too many winning seasons, coaching legends there, and great players!!

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Man, it is so nice to have informative posts on what is going on at the East Coast side of the state this year.

I can tell you that the coaches on the western front appreciate it, especially come playoff time:)