1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Top Unsigned Seniors

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Nov 7, 2007.

1. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Size and Talent

Its and Mom,

:36:

I think you may be missing something important.

Scouts/Recruiters are looking for both size and talent.....IN THE SAME PACKAGE!

If you had two High Schooll Shortstops of equal ability. One was 6'2" and 195pounds and the other was 5'9" and 160 pounds which would you draft/recruit?

You seem to be making the assumption that the player with "size" can't play like the smaller guy. Scouts and recruiters know from experience that the OPPOSITE is usually the case. That's why they evaluate and select talent the way they do.

Not because they are ignorant or clueless or lazy or whatever else you've claimed.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

The two areas that many coaches miss out on a player is character and heart. I don't know if its because they don't see them enough or what, but they see skill, potential, and size.

I'm the one that

I always look at the other things. Size is nice and it will certainly gain my attention, but if I'm going to choose a player, I'm looking for the two areas I mentioned. I'm the one that watches a player getting off the bus. I'm the one watching the player deal with adversity. I'm the one watching the player that "wants" to be at bat with the game on the line. I'm the one that notices a batter that goes up not wanting to walk. I'm the one watching the pitcher that does not throw a wild pitch every time there is a man on 3rd base. I'm the one that sees the pitcher that loads the bases, then strikes out the next 3 batters. I'm the one that notices a batter that strikes out, runs back in the dugout, places his helmet in the rack, sits down and reviews what he is going to do the next time. I'm the one that notices a player that refuses to quit; that cries after a tough loss. I'm the one that sees a competitor.

I'm that kind of guy. Everybody can see the obvious, but I'm looking for the "players"...and those guys you can't notice in just one weekend.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I don't think people are referring to pro scouts. Those guys see things that others have no clue what to look for. They are looking for professional baseball players. I believe what many are referring to are the way many players are dismissed by some colleges simply for size before any other factor is determined

4. itsinthegame

itsinthegame Full Access Member

Aguyyouknow,

Actually - I didnt say any of the things you just posted.

I didnt give hypothetical examples of a 6'2 vs 5'8 player with "equal" talent.

I didnt say anything about big kids not being able to play.

What I said was that any approach that emphasizes size - over talent - desire and discipline - is destined to be a bottom dweller in baseball.
    A loser.

That is what I believe - and what I have used as a framework for scouting college players in years past. And I am comfortable with what the last 20 years have proven to me.

You can be a great player without size - as long as you have the other attributes.

You cannot be a great player with size - and none of the other attributes.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  5. itsinthegame

Braves

Exactly - we are talking college baseball here. Not professional baseball scouting.

6. sportsmom

sportsmom Full Access Member

aguyyouknow...I in no way assumed or implied that the little guy can make the play and the bigger guy can't. Sorry if you got that message, but it was not the intended one. I also didn't and wouldn't say that scouts/recruiters are ignorant, clueless, etc. I do not make blanket judgements about a group of people.

What I do mean is that there are some really great players, regardless of talent, ability, work ethic, etc. who are dismissed/overlooked because they don't fit a certain mold. To me, that's just a shame.

Can someone be big and talented...of course!
    Can someone be small and talented...you betcha!
    Can someone be big and not have a baseball talent in their body...sure!
    Can someone be small and not have the ability to play at the next level...certainly!

Braves...you understood my post and it's intentions. I apologize to others
    who thought I was being insulting to some...not what I meant at all.

7. itsinthegame

Sportsmom - I didnt think you were insulting at all.

And I didnt see anyone call anyone else ignorant - I think that is a strong term and very disrespectful.

But clueless - and lazy - I have seen and known many many scouts that fit that description perfectly.

And - as you would expect - most are no longer employed as scouts.

It is hard work - and if you look around at the best programs - you will see that the top tier programs select the best players - not the biggest ones.

That takes alot of hard work - and an eye for talent. You need more than a tape measure and a scale to be good at it.

8. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

I was able to watch Aaron Plummer play during the summer of 06. I really like what I saw in Aaron during that summer. At that time I actually liked him more as an outfielder than a MIF. However, he was solid there too, but I just like the way he palyed the outfield. If a player does not sign early, that in no way means he will not sign. Look at it this way, the right program may not have called yet... The program God has planned may not have called yet.. something to think about

Anyway, I wish nothing but the best in whatever Aaron has in his future!!

9. itsinthegame

I will leave you with this - the most respected scout I have ever known - an accomplished baseball man (who unfortunately recently passed on.)

He had Dustin Pedroia pegged years ago. (As well as about 30 others during his career).

And here is what you heard from a multitude of lazy - clueless scouts. He is too small. He is an overacheiver. And blah blah blah blah blah. The same old lazy nonsense you hear all the time. LOL

Well - Dustin isnt so small anymore.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  10. sportsmom

sportsmom Full Access Member

That is exactly how I feel...God always has a plan, we just have to be patient and wait sometimes! Thanks for the reminder!