1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Travel Ball Results

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by storm030, Mar 5, 2006.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

I also agree

YES, I agree; don't kick a team when they are already "down". Good life lesson beyond the softball field. :agreed:

2. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

With a team of that caliber...running up the score would never have to happen...now let me ask you a question.......How do you feel about a stacked ball team ??? Where everybody is a stud and there is no player under .500............ Is that Fair ?????:banned: If you feel like runs should be limited then limit the talent on a ball team............What joy is it to beat everybody when no one can get close to you????

Softball Guru

3. LBlues 1

LBlues 1 Full Access Member

Idea?

4. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

Just an fyi that none of the posts since mine on 3/22 are from folks affiliated with the Outlaws. The discussion has been an interesting one with folks commenting on both points of view and that's what makes TBR so interesting. :ylsuper:

5. HSFAN

HSFAN Full Access Member

Scores

That Cobra Team was very special and very rare to have that many talented players assembled on one team.We moved up and played older teams some 16U and even some 18 U .Were we sucessful yes,did we win all the games no,But the one thing we instilled in those players was to RESPECT your competition and play hard,did we have to run the score up to make us a better team ,no we worked on some things that needed fine tuning,bunts,different pitches,anything we were not sharp at. but at the same time never let the game get out of control.Some people may not know but that same Cobra team played AAU basketball at the same time,they finished 3rd in the AAU nationals in BB and finished 7th the following year along with the Softball.Like I said they were a special group and most are playing or are going to play at the next level.We carried 11 players and 1 player sat out each inning.This was done in a rotation that began at the start of the year until the end.The list of players were;
    Gina Allen - UNCC.
    AsHton Ward -Tenn
    Desinty Covington - VA. Tech
    Steph Beatty-Western
    Tori Safrit -UNCW
    Courtney Furr Lees Mcrae Basketball
    Kayla Babson (will sign to play BB ?)
    Chastiy Covington (will sign D1 next year)
    Amanda Barrs (D1 ? Samford maybe)
    Brittney Furr (will play some where D1 or 2
    Adle Burnside (West Rowan-Will play at next level)
    Cali Edwards ( Great player tore ACL and decided not to play)
    I was very fortunate to be a small part of this team.

6. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

Make a Decision

When a team is consistently dominating the competition, at some point the coach needs to decide the goal of his team. Is it to win every game by the 10 run rule and or tournament, or improve the skills of the players by playing teams that are better. IMO, a team like that should play up as much as possible, but still play in the major state and national tournaments of their age group. There should be a reward for the hard work these teams have put in to get where they are so dominant in their age group.

A good example of this in HS are teams like West Forsyth, Forbush, North Davidson and Central Cabarrus (and other's) do a great job of scheduling tough out of conference (sometimes out of state) games. This IMO, is preparing these teams for the level of competition they will see as they go in to the state playoffs. Many times a conference schedule just does not provide the consistent level of competition that would prepare a strong HS team for the playoffs. This is just a fact of HS softball. If more travel coaches put their egos aside and played the level of competition that consistently challeneged their team, then the disparity of talent in HS ball would close faster than it already is.

7. Softball Guru

You know these Forums are fun to read and comment on...........Hey when you really look at it we are all one big family.......everybody has an opinion or two or three----------LOL-------------all I'm saying I don't think Dale Jarrett would be at the finish line and back off and say,"Well I have won to much this year, got to many points,I think I'll back off so it want look bad on me", how rediculous would that be to a race car driver to even think such a thing ????? ........... by the way that Cobra Team is an awesome ball team..........we like to play them because it makes us a better team...........Charlie,Donnie,etc............have done a great job in putting a quality team together that most teams give ultimate respect when they are on the field against them....Ask Charlie what makes his team so good..........they are aggressive and play hard, and turn your back on them and they will score on you without a thought....Truly a Travel Ball Team.............Softball Guru

8. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

FAIR?, limt talent?

how would you limit the talent on a TB team if that team were able to get all the best players? TB teams really have no restrictions to prevent stacking, do they?

9. Softball Guru

??????------------- What Employer would want his employee to back off and try less because George (IE.) didn't make as much money as Charlie does at this point in life...I think you ought to always try your best and be the best in whatever you do it will carry over in life from a child to an adult....For an example my twin sons scored 1260 & 1420 on the SAT, both honor students but because they are caucasian ,and not of other origin they can't get any federal monies...GO FIGURE,I PAY MY TAXES !!!!...........but I haven't given up and this has been a hardship on my wife and myself trying to get loans to pay for "NOT ONE,BUT (2) COLLEGE DEGREES". That's why my daughter is playing so hard in (TB) to hopefully one day have a chance to get even a partial scholarship is better than nothing...........That article on CC just about guarantees any kid that goes through that program a chance for a scholarship of some degree.........I will never tell my kid to not give her best, and to strive to be the best in whatever she tries in life.......Softball Guru

10. chill95

chill95 Junior Member

Because the are caucasion they can't get federal monies???? My son scored 1285 on the SAT took Honors and Humanities courses in High school and is an afro-american and received no federal monies. His father and are having to pay his way as well and guess what, we pay taxes also. The one thing I will add is that travel ball played a large roll in him being noticed for baseball and being a position player he did receive a partial scholarship for sports. If you are not from a strong athletic high school, your child needs to be in travel ball!!